View Poll Results: Do you agree with ban on smoking inside cars with children?

Voters
93. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - I like this ban

    36 38.71%
  • Yes - I like it, but age should be older than 8

    21 22.58%
  • No - I should be able to smoke wherever I want

    21 22.58%
  • other - please explain

    15 16.13%
Page 17 of 76 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 751

Thread: Smoking Illegal With Children In Car[W:501]

  1. #161
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    34,999

    re: Smoking Illegal With Children In Car[W:501]

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    That is doing nothing but taking resources away from kids who are in dire need.
    Nonresponsive. Your opinion that chronic exposure to cigarette smoke merely qualifies as "stupid" and not abuse is an arbitrary line you still haven't qualified, whereas science has for nearly half a century determined that cigarette smoke is a known carcinogen responsible for numerous health problems (and of course deaths).

  2. #162
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    re: Smoking Illegal With Children In Car[W:501]

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Nonresponsive. Your opinion that chronic exposure to cigarette smoke merely qualifies as "stupid" and not abuse is an arbitrary line you still haven't qualified, whereas science has for nearly half a century determined that cigarette smoke is a known carcinogen responsible for numerous health problems (and of course deaths).
    No, my line is drawn because we have limited resources, and there are children in dire need. You have still failed to address that point I notice.

  3. #163
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    34,999

    re: Smoking Illegal With Children In Car[W:501]

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    No, my line is drawn because we have limited resources, and there are children in dire need. You have still failed to address that point I notice.
    All you've done is point to examples you emotionally feel are more abuse-ier. You have not in any way shown that chronic exposure to cigarette smoke is not in fact abuse. I have science to back up my position, while you have, um...what do you have exactly?

  4. #164
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    re: Smoking Illegal With Children In Car[W:501]

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    All you've done is point to examples you emotionally feel are more abuse-ier. You have not in any way shown that chronic exposure to cigarette smoke is not in fact abuse. I have science to back up my position, while you have, um...what do you have exactly?
    Are you kidding? Anyone who cannot understand what I'm saying here must be dense. We have LIMITED RESOURCES. We need to concentrate those on children who are in DIRE NEED. Children of smokers do not qualify, sorry.

  5. #165
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    34,999

    re: Smoking Illegal With Children In Car[W:501]

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Are you kidding? Anyone who cannot understand what I'm saying here must be dense. We have LIMITED RESOURCES. We need to concentrate those on children who are in DIRE NEED. Children of smokers do not qualify, sorry.
    And still this does not demonstrate that it's not abuse, only that you don't personally feel it's all that big a deal. The health problems are well catalogued by science and you are wrong. Out of curiosity, are you a smoker?

  6. #166
    Maquis Admiral
    maquiscat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,955

    re: Smoking Illegal With Children In Car[W:501]

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    Smoking while driving with kids under 8 now illegal in Maryland - NY Daily News


    I'm here to say - I can't find fault with this at all, except for wondering why 8 years old is the cut off. Why not 12 or 14? Why 8?

    Who here will defend the right of the adult to subject their child to smoke inside a confined space like a car?
    This is one of the few smoking bans that I actually support because it actually has the element of not giving a non-smoker (the child) any choice in the matter. That same element does not exist in any other smoking ban.
    Bi, Poly, Switch. I'm not indecisive, I'm greedy!

  7. #167
    Maquis Admiral
    maquiscat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,955

    re: Smoking Illegal With Children In Car[W:501]

    Quote Originally Posted by JJB3333 View Post
    now you see that is a good idea. It would almost completely eliminate second hand smoke in cars because they will have learned not to smoke in cars for basically a 4th of their lives.
    Only the parents and only when they have kids with them.
    Bi, Poly, Switch. I'm not indecisive, I'm greedy!

  8. #168
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    re: Smoking Illegal With Children In Car[W:501]

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    Smoking while driving with kids under 8 now illegal in Maryland - NY Daily News


    I'm here to say - I can't find fault with this at all, except for wondering why 8 years old is the cut off. Why not 12 or 14? Why 8?

    Who here will defend the right of the adult to subject their child to smoke inside a confined space like a car?

    I like the ban.I accidentally voted "Yes - I like this ban" instead of "Yes - I like it, but age should be older than 8". My mother smoked when I was growing up and I used to smoke. So I know from experience that rolling down the windows doesn't work and that smokers do not realize how fowl their cigarette smoke is. Children shouldn't be subjected to 2nd hand smoke,especially in a confined space such as a car just because their mom and or dad are selfish inconsiderate ****s.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  9. #169
    Relentless Thinking Fury
    ChezC3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    9,125

    re: Smoking Illegal With Children In Car[W:501]

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    The government can't seem to leave smokers alone. :/
    but they like our money well enough, don't they...

  10. #170
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,186

    re: Smoking Illegal With Children In Car[W:501]

    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    Oh this is inevitable, for years I've said that the day comes in America when smoking cigarettes is illegal and smoking marijauna is legal.
    I don't smoke either - but I have found, as I age, that cigarette smoke irritates my breathing far more than it used to - I've never smoked, but I used to have friends and relatives who did - the casual contact with their smoke never irritated me but now, with ever smoker seemingly clustered at the front of every office building, shopping mall, grocery store, etc. I find I'm running the gammut of a cigarette smog almost every public place I try to enter.

    As for replacing cigarette smoke with marijuana smoke, I don't have a problem with legalizing marijuana but I wouldn't mind seeing smoking it remaining illegal and just having it used in food or liquid form. If it's for medicinal purposes, for example, ingesting it should be healthier than inhaling it.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

Page 17 of 76 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •