View Poll Results: Should an employee have to give a two weeks notice?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

    16 48.48%
  • no

    17 51.52%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 53

Thread: Should an employee have to give a two weeks notice before leaving?

  1. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    (none)
    Last Seen
    04-04-15 @ 09:11 PM
    Lean
    Communist
    Posts
    6,112
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should an employee have to give a two weeks notice before leaving?

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    I could be wrong but, even in America, doesn't an employer have to pay at least 2 weeks severance for an employee fired without cause?
    Stop making us laugh.

  2. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    (none)
    Last Seen
    04-04-15 @ 09:11 PM
    Lean
    Communist
    Posts
    6,112
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should an employee have to give a two weeks notice before leaving?

    Quote Originally Posted by Singe View Post
    Leaving on good terms is smart, prudent, and future-proofs yourself from any reputation problems
    If you are leaving that means something was wrong. How can you leave on good terms? The terms were obviously bad or you wouldn't be leaving. A break up is never clean. I hear this a lot but I don't grasp the sentiment. Leaving or being forced to leave is going to hurt somebody's feelings. I don't see how that can be avoided.

  3. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    (none)
    Last Seen
    04-04-15 @ 09:11 PM
    Lean
    Communist
    Posts
    6,112
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should an employee have to give a two weeks notice before leaving?

    Quote Originally Posted by Juanita View Post
    You should never burn your bridges...It could come back and bite you in the ass...
    It's already burnt. Duh. You're leaving.

  4. #14
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:16 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,423

    Re: Should an employee have to give a two weeks notice before leaving?

    Quote Originally Posted by vasuderatorrent View Post
    It's already burnt. Duh. You're leaving.
    The not burning bridges thing... in the form of a two-week notice... is for YOU, not your employer. Yeah yeah yeah, everybody knows you left for a reason, but it's a "wink wink nod nod" scenario where smart people play the game and don't give prospective future employers a reason to choose someone else.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  5. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    (none)
    Last Seen
    04-04-15 @ 09:11 PM
    Lean
    Communist
    Posts
    6,112
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should an employee have to give a two weeks notice before leaving?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    smart people play the game and don't give prospective future employers a reason to choose someone else.
    You seem very confident.

  6. #16
    Student Singe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    10-12-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    170

    Re: Should an employee have to give a two weeks notice before leaving?

    Quote Originally Posted by vasuderatorrent View Post
    If you are leaving that means something was wrong. How can you leave on good terms? The terms were obviously bad or you wouldn't be leaving. A break up is never clean. I hear this a lot but I don't grasp the sentiment. Leaving or being forced to leave is going to hurt somebody's feelings. I don't see how that can be avoided.
    I've left plenty of jobs where nothing was "wrong" or "obviously bad" and absolutely left on "good terms." I simply found a better opportunity where my current employer couldn't offer the same salary or benefits or advancement or <insert any other type of feature that appeals to a worker>. I was up front, professional, and protected my own reputation by giving the standard 2 week notice. I've also seen my former co-workers at various industry-related events, and there was never any awkwardness or what you characterized above as a "break up" not being "clean."

    I'm a little surprised that you've never seen or experienced the above yourself either. I see people do this all the time, and quite honestly was under the impression that it was closer to the rule and less the exception.

    Oh, and I've also had people give me their 2 weeks notice as well. In none of those cases, was I anything but happy for them. They were always professional, and I was always supportive. Sure it's more work to hire/train someone new, but that's why it's called "work." I don't understand the premise that someone's feelings will be hurt either. I can see how that COULD happen, but certainly don't see why it would have to.

  7. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    (none)
    Last Seen
    04-04-15 @ 09:11 PM
    Lean
    Communist
    Posts
    6,112
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should an employee have to give a two weeks notice before leaving?

    Quote Originally Posted by Singe View Post
    I've left plenty of jobs where nothing was "wrong" or "obviously bad"
    Quote Originally Posted by Singe
    I simply found a better opportunity
    What? Huge contradiction in your comments.

  8. #18
    Student Singe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    10-12-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    170

    Re: Should an employee have to give a two weeks notice before leaving?

    Quote Originally Posted by vasuderatorrent View Post
    What? Huge contradiction in your comments.
    You think that's a contradiction? Finding something better doesn't mean that what I had was "wrong" or "bad." I hate analogies, but if you see that as a contradiction, this is the only way I can think of to explain it:

    If I was driving a 2008 Nissan, and it worked perfectly fine... but won a Lexus somehow... I'd drive the Lexus, but that wouldn't mean that the Nissan had something "wrong" with it or was "obviously bad." See what I mean?

  9. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    (none)
    Last Seen
    04-04-15 @ 09:11 PM
    Lean
    Communist
    Posts
    6,112
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should an employee have to give a two weeks notice before leaving?

    Quote Originally Posted by Singe View Post
    You think that's a contradiction? Finding something better doesn't mean that what I had was "wrong" or "bad." I hate analogies, but if you see that as a contradiction, this is the only way I can think of to explain it:

    If I was driving a 2008 Nissan, and it worked perfectly fine... but won a Lexus somehow... I'd drive the Lexus, but that wouldn't mean that the Nissan had something "wrong" with it or was "obviously bad." See what I mean?
    It's a good analogy because I did misunderstand your situation. Have you ever been fired? Being fired tends to up your self-preservation mode by about 500 levels. Not everybody is nice.

  10. #20
    Student Singe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    10-12-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    170

    Re: Should an employee have to give a two weeks notice before leaving?

    Quote Originally Posted by vasuderatorrent View Post
    It's a good analogy because I did misunderstand your situation. Have you ever been fired? Being fired tends to up your self-preservation mode by about 500 levels. Not everybody is nice.
    Ok, good. I'm glad that helped, because otherwise, I never would have been able to convey where I was coming from. heh

    I had my position eliminated when a company closed a satellite office I was working out of, and while yeah... it definitely bothered me, it might not be the same as what you're asking me. I had a pretty hard time adjusting right afterwards for a few days, but what can ya do, right? **** happens.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •