View Poll Results: Which was more of a Christian nation?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Syria

    2 8.00%
  • USA

    20 80.00%
  • Former USSR

    4 16.00%
  • China

    1 4.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 67

Thread: Which was more Christian nation - USA or USSR?

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    USA
    Last Seen
    01-13-14 @ 06:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    511

    Which was more Christian nation - USA or USSR?

    When I was a kid (7 or 10) in USSR, under communism, I remember there was a giant Christmas tree every year in the main public square, and hundreds of kids gathered around it, and they were giving away presents on stage. I remember I was very excited to come up on stage and receive a present....Interestingly after coming to America, the buzz I hear is that America is the Christian nation, while USSR was some sort of anti religious nation, so this is very strange. What did Americans have for Christmas this season in times square? I'm not sure but I think it was lady kaka or the tongue wielding Disney star Miley Cyrus?

  2. #2
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,904

    Re: Which was more Christian nation - USA or USSR?

    As I've posted to you on another of your threads, good luck finding a country that satisfies you.

  3. #3
    Sage


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    SW Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    18,264

    Re: Which was more Christian nation - USA or USSR?

    Quote Originally Posted by pvsi View Post
    When I was a kid (7 or 10) in USSR, under communism, I remember there was a giant Christmas tree every year in the main public square, and hundreds of kids gathered around it, and they were giving away presents on stage. I remember I was very excited to come up on stage and receive a present....Interestingly after coming to America, the buzz I hear is that America is the Christian nation, while USSR was some sort of anti religious nation, so this is very strange. What did Americans have for Christmas this season in times square? I'm not sure but I think it was lady kaka or the tongue wielding Disney star Miley Cyrus?
    Public displays are not necessarily a sound foundation for judgement.

  4. #4
    Engineer

    RabidAlpaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    American in Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    14,572

    Re: Which was more Christian nation - USA or USSR?

    So you measure your religion by public displays of Santa Claus, elves, talking snowmen, and genetically mutated reindeer?
    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    I've got to say that it is shadenfreudalicious to see the rich and famous fucquewads on the coast suffering from the fires.

  5. #5

    Re: Which was more Christian nation - USA or USSR?

    irrelevant question. USSR. WAS AN ATHEIST STATE
    Using Tapatalk

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    running down your legs
    Last Seen
    01-05-14 @ 12:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    982

    Re: Which was more Christian nation - USA or USSR?

    Quote Originally Posted by pvsi View Post
    When I was a kid (7 or 10) in USSR, under communism, I remember there was a giant Christmas tree every year in the main public square, and hundreds of kids gathered around it, and they were giving away presents on stage. I remember I was very excited to come up on stage and receive a present....Interestingly after coming to America, the buzz I hear is that America is the Christian nation, while USSR was some sort of anti religious nation, so this is very strange. What did Americans have for Christmas this season in times square? I'm not sure but I think it was lady kaka or the tongue wielding Disney star Miley Cyrus?
    So pvsi spent his formative years in the USSR, eh?

    Explains a lot.

  7. #7
    Pragmatist
    SouthernDemocrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    KC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,410

    Re: Which was more Christian nation - USA or USSR?

    Shortly after the formation of the Soviet Union, the local Orthodox Priests were forced to go before their town's people and tell them they lied. In China you can get your home bulldozed if you operate a non-state sanctioned prayer group or Bible study group out of it.

    In contrast, in the United States if you are running for a major political office, good luck winning the election if you are not opening Christian.
    "You're the only person that decides how far you'll go and what you're capable of." - Ben Saunders (Explorer and Endurance Athlete)

  8. #8
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,851
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Which was more Christian nation - USA or USSR?

    Quote Originally Posted by pvsi View Post
    When I was a kid (7 or 10) in USSR, under communism, I remember there was a giant Christmas tree every year in the main public square, and hundreds of kids gathered around it, and they were giving away presents on stage.
    I remember I was very excited to come up on stage and receive a present....Interestingly after coming to America, the buzz I hear is that America is the Christian nation, while USSR was some sort of anti religious nation, so this is very strange. What did Americans have for Christmas this season in times square? I'm not sure but I think it was lady kaka or the tongue wielding Disney star Miley Cyrus?



    Hot tip: You can't determine how Christian any person or group is by the size of the Christmas tree that they have.


    If that's the way that you judge people's Christianity you need to do a lot of re-calibration because you are way off.
    ,

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    USA
    Last Seen
    01-13-14 @ 06:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    511

    Re: Which was more Christian nation - USA or USSR?

    Quote Originally Posted by shrubnose View Post

    Hot tip: You can't determine how Christian any person or group is by the size of the Christmas tree that they have.


    If that's the way that you judge people's Christianity you need to do a lot of re-calibration because you are way off.
    ,
    Right, but you can determine them by the type of people they are dealing with, right?







  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    USA
    Last Seen
    01-13-14 @ 06:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    511

    Re: Which was more Christian nation - USA or USSR?

    Quote Originally Posted by nota bene View Post
    As I've posted to you on another of your threads, good luck finding a country that satisfies you.
    irrelevant
    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    So you measure your religion by public displays of Santa Claus, elves, talking snowmen, and genetically mutated reindeer?
    irrelevant
    Quote Originally Posted by Newman View Post
    irrelevant question. USSR. WAS AN ATHEIST STATE
    irrelevant
    Quote Originally Posted by shart attack View Post
    So pvsi spent his formative years in the USSR, eh?

    Explains a lot.
    irrelevant

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •