View Poll Results: How much should a person pay for Health Insurance to protect $5,000 in assets?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • $1-$99 per month

    8 47.06%
  • $100-$199 per month

    2 11.76%
  • $200-$299 per month

    0 0%
  • $300-$499 per month

    0 0%
  • $500 or more (whatever the cost they should buy it.)

    0 0%
  • $0 No financial planner would recommend insuring $5,000

    7 41.18%
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 51

Thread: Health Insurance

  1. #41
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    23,351

    Re: Health Insurance

    Quote Originally Posted by vasuderatorrent View Post
    I don't see a problem with that. Everybody pays for their own shampoo. We could just mimick the laws for the shampoo industry to mirror the laws for the medical industry.

    I don't believe this has even been considered. It sounds genuis. Then individuals could sort out their own situation without encountering the unjustified arrogant belittling from people like you.

    I didn't make the laws. I just benefit from them. Is that really so hard to understand? Please redirect your condescending attitude toward your nearest politician and get out of my face. I didn't make the laws.
    The arrogance is when people only think of themselves and what they can get out of the system. It is not ALL about protecting your own net worth, or it shouldn't be. How can we possibly eliminate pre-existing conditions without requiring all to purchase insurance?

  2. #42
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    8,180

    Re: Health Insurance

    Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman View Post
    The arrogance is when people only think of themselves and what they can get out of the system. It is not ALL about protecting your own net worth, or it shouldn't be.
    Then what IS it all about? I.e., why has it ever made sense for a person to buy health insurance?

    How can we possibly eliminate pre-existing conditions without requiring all to purchase insurance?
    Eliminate pre-existing conditions?

  3. #43
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    (none)
    Last Seen
    04-04-15 @ 09:11 PM
    Lean
    Communist
    Posts
    6,112
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Health Insurance

    Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman View Post
    How can we possibly eliminate pre-existing conditions without requiring all to purchase insurance?
    Let everybody pay for their own medical bills. You were the one that suggested it. Outlaw insurance and hang all insurance agents. The Amish pay for their own medical bills. If an Amish person is too broke, the community pitches in. The Amish are exempt from the Affordable Care Act because insurance is against their religion. They believe insurance is destructive to the community. I agree. Make everybody pay for their own medical bills. You suggested it. I applaud your recommendation as a sensible solution.

  4. #44
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    (none)
    Last Seen
    04-04-15 @ 09:11 PM
    Lean
    Communist
    Posts
    6,112
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Health Insurance

    Quote Originally Posted by Neomalthusian View Post
    Eliminate pre-existing conditions?
    This is a puzzle. If you don't get a disease, you won't have a pre-existing condition. We can eliminate pre-existing conditions by not getting sick or injured.

    It was an odd suggestion.

  5. #45
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    (none)
    Last Seen
    04-04-15 @ 09:11 PM
    Lean
    Communist
    Posts
    6,112
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Health Insurance

    Quote Originally Posted by Neomalthusian View Post
    why has it ever made sense for a person to buy health insurance?
    If you are really rich it makes perfect sense. If the policy has a very high deductible like $20,000 or more it makes perfect sense.

    The products on the market today make little sense and appear to be uncontrollably doomed for hyper-inflation or forcing their companies into bankruptcy. Insurance companies are trying to screw over their consumer. The consumer is trying to screw over the insurance company. I am not aware of any other product that yields a perverted business relationship like this. It's a very unique product. It seems destructive to human relationships but maybe I'm just being overly dramatic. It's certainly odd.

    Health Insurance turned into a status symbol rather than insurance. I don't know who the moron was that decided to market health insurance to the middle and lower class.

    Most people shouldn't buy health insurance. It makes very little sense. Another product that has been perverted is higher education. Most people shouldn't purchase higher education but that's another issue but it is similar to this product in the way it was perverted over the years.

  6. #46
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    23,351

    Re: Health Insurance

    Quote Originally Posted by vasuderatorrent View Post
    Let everybody pay for their own medical bills. You were the one that suggested it. Outlaw insurance and hang all insurance agents. The Amish pay for their own medical bills. If an Amish person is too broke, the community pitches in. The Amish are exempt from the Affordable Care Act because insurance is against their religion. They believe insurance is destructive to the community. I agree. Make everybody pay for their own medical bills. You suggested it. I applaud your recommendation as a sensible solution.
    Most of America cannot pay their medical bills and it's costing us all a fortune. Lets get everyone insurance instead. Problem solved.

  7. #47
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    23,351

    Re: Health Insurance

    Quote Originally Posted by Neomalthusian View Post
    Then what IS it all about? I.e., why has it ever made sense for a person to buy health insurance?



    Eliminate pre-existing conditions?
    As a reason to deny coverage of course.

    The reason to buy health insurance is so you won't be a burden to others if you need care. I know that seems stupid to a Conservative. The last thing they think of is "others", they are a good reason for needing the mandate.
    Personally I think multi-millionaires should be denied insurance since they can afford to pay out of their pocket so don't really need to be insured.
    Last edited by iguanaman; 01-05-14 at 12:16 PM.

  8. #48
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    8,180

    Re: Health Insurance

    Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman View Post
    As a reason to deny coverage of course.

    The reason to buy health insurance is so you won't be a burden to others if you need care.
    That has to be the silliest thing you have ever said. The very nature of insurance is to spread the burden of highly unfortunate things (against which the members are insuring) to others, by way of their membership premiums.

    I know that seems stupid to a Conservative.
    It's stupid to anyone who understands what insurance is.

    The last thing they think of is "others", they are a good reason for needing the mandate.
    Insurance has nothing to do with altruism.

  9. #49
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    23,351

    Re: Health Insurance

    Quote Originally Posted by Neomalthusian View Post
    That has to be the silliest thing you have ever said. The very nature of insurance is to spread the burden of highly unfortunate things (against which the members are insuring) to others, by way of their membership premiums.



    It's stupid to anyone who understands what insurance is.



    Insurance has nothing to do with altruism.
    Since HC is a right,and everyone will need it some day, health insurance really isn't insurance. It merely a means to an end. And Yes you are being altruistic when you pay your HC premiums that include a 20% surcharge for the uninsured. Forced altruism is still altruism.

  10. #50
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    8,180

    Re: Health Insurance

    Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman View Post
    Since HC is a right,
    It isn't.

    and everyone will need it some day,
    For one thing, no everyone won't, and for another, those who do may not need it to be at at anyone else's expense.

    And Yes you are being altruistic when you pay your HC premiums that include a 20% surcharge for the uninsured. Forced altruism is still altruism.
    No it isn't.

    You say some really strange things.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •