View Poll Results: What needs to change in US healthcare?

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • Complete overhaul, replacing old system with European-style universal healthcare.

    27 58.70%
  • Partial overhaul, including expansion of Medicare, reworking of profit-based insurance system.

    9 19.57%
  • Sparse overhaul, based around getting rid of the profit-based private insurance companies.

    4 8.70%
  • Nothing needs to change, the US system is good the way it is.

    6 13.04%
Page 16 of 29 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 160 of 284

Thread: There are 36 countries with better healthcare than the USA. What needs to happen?

  1. #151
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Britain, Mother of Civilisation
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    468

    Re: There are 36 countries with better healthcare than the USA. What needs to happen?

    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelJR View Post
    America, once again, could care less about Europe, nor should we. They are proving to be our downfall, influencing us and attempting to ratify law by foreign decree. The day UN troops are on US soil, I assure you, target practice on blue helmets commences. I think we should return to our isolationist policies with the old policy of trade with all, ally with none, avoid war, everyone can do what they want. We don't want to be part of this failed globalist experiment. We don't want this utopia being offered. We don't want social enlightenment in the form of western european idealism. We don't want bottom up social justice or wealth redistribution. The EU is a drag on the worlds economy, and if Germany (and formerly France) didn't hold it together, you'd all be bankrupt (not that Italy, Portugal, Spain, Greece, etc aren't on their way or already there). You were better off before this desire for an unattainable system. Kick the UN to the curb, drop the EU, and be your own people again. Globalism does not work. It never will.

    The thousands of years of feudal rule and being subjects of the government...I can understand the indoctrinated beliefs.
    It's funny you say that, because it appears that it's only working better and better by the year. The financial crisis of 2008 caused by the ****ty American economy sent ripples throughout the world -- but even today, literally today, there was an article on the BBC about how fears of a Euro collapse have disappeared.

    In fact, European GDP is growing. European PPP is growing. European GNP is growing. And that's not all due to Germany, struggling in vain -- it's also France, and Italy, and Britain, and the other nations of the world's largest and most powerful economic bloc.

    I find it childish, repugnant and pathetic that some Americans (though thankfully a minority) have such a selfish and hateful view of the world, that they would isolate themselves and live in fear and squalor. But most Americans agree with us, because you are our offspring, like it or not. Most Americans agree with the very same social ideals and wealth distribution that you so childishly rant against -- that is why the majority of Americans vote Democrat, that is why a Democrat is in power now, and that is why the Republican party is a decrepit old dinosaur crumbling from its backwardness and radicalism.

    You claim globalism does not work, and never will. Well, your countrymen disagree with you, your government disagrees with you, and the rest of your Western brethren disagree with you.

    I can only imagine you live in a sad world, if it is populated by conspiracies of 'blue helmet' occupation and hatred towards anyone not just like you.

    But fear not -- people like you are always on the losing end of history. That's progress.

  2. #152
    Educator
    MichaelJR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Suckachusetts
    Last Seen
    05-25-16 @ 09:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,089

    Re: There are 36 countries with better healthcare than the USA. What needs to happen?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ad_Captandum View Post
    It's funny you say that, because it appears that it's only working better and better by the year. The financial crisis of 2008 caused by the ****ty American economy sent ripples throughout the world -- but even today, literally today, there was an article on the BBC about how fears of a Euro collapse have disappeared.

    Uhhh....Spain Portugal Greece. One bailout of any of the above, and you're bankrupt. Simple numbers.


    In fact, European GDP is growing. European PPP is growing. European GNP is growing. And that's not all due to Germany, struggling in vain -- it's also France, and Italy, and Britain, and the other nations of the world's largest and most powerful economic bloc.

    It's all Germany.

    I find it childish, repugnant and pathetic that some Americans (though thankfully a minority) have such a selfish and hateful view of the world, that they would isolate themselves and live in fear and squalor. But most Americans agree with us, because you are our offspring, like it or not. Most Americans agree with the very same social ideals and wealth distribution that you so childishly rant against -- that is why the majority of Americans vote Democrat, that is why a Democrat is in power now, and that is why the Republican party is a decrepit old dinosaur crumbling from its backwardness and radicalism.

    Minority? Dude....read a book. Democrats hold essentially a 52% vs 48% lead. That's it. Maybe our definition of 'most' is different. House is held by a landslide. Senate will fall next year due to Obamacare. Your understanding of American politics is frightening. P.S. a Democrat isn't in power, he's a progressive. Democrats haven't been around for quite some time, although democrats vote for progressives for some unknown reason.

    You claim globalism does not work, and never will. Well, your countrymen disagree with you, your government disagrees with you, and the rest of your Western brethren disagree with you.

    Western brethren? Europe isn't my Brethren. Half this country views you in a negative light, for the record. The overwhelming majority of our armed servicemen and women are right wing. European media is spinning it lovely, I assure you, the reality is quite different.

    I can only imagine you live in a sad world, if it is populated by conspiracies of 'blue helmet' occupation and hatred towards anyone not just like you.
    I don't want you here. Half of us don't. It's not occupation, the mere sight of them is enough. I would assume let you all to your own accord. Trade with you, etc...that's about it. You're obviously morally superior, and clearly your form of economic structure is enlightened to say the least...well....you certainly don't need us in that case. Please, take care of the rest of the world. Tell us how well Belgium foots the bill of Africa. Denmark maintaining stability abroad. etc etc. GB and Germany are the only reason Europe is still anything worth mentioning on the global scale. 90% of the countries in this so called EU are economically dependent, largely useless, and


    But fear not -- people like you are always on the losing end of history. That's progress.
    I can't wait for Europe to fall once Germany and GB pulls the plug, which they will....albeit slowly, but they will. Hopefully, America will wake up and go isolationist/autonomous again so we don't need to carry that continent once more. European arrogance needs a slap in the face. The only mention worthy countries in that area are France, GB, and Germany. The rest are as useless and relevant as tits on a boar. Hopefully, they band together and put some semblance of whatever you call "order" in the region.

    Now that's progress. Let the chips fall where they may, let America sit back for about 10 years. Let us know how well European social engineering and economic prowess is doing in the attempt to save the world and develop utopia. I'll grab the popcorn. Let me know when the riots stop.



    I long for the days when we were just trade partners.

    For the record, you HAD culture. Now you're a shadow of your former selves. Freedom, with a camera on every corner. Give yourselves a round of applause.


    And this is nothing personal, I don't know you. I have met some decent Europeans, but nil can grasp how our understanding of freedom is viable. I suppose being subjects of a crown for generations can do that to you. God save the queen.

  3. #153
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Republic of Texas.
    Last Seen
    11-15-17 @ 11:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,647

    Re: There are 36 countries with better healthcare than the USA. What needs to happen?

    Quote Originally Posted by Carjosse View Post
    None of that would change with single payer.
    Right. Because all those people who are getting treatment and drugs for free at the government run centers will be more than happy to go out and pay for it out-of-pocket to keep innovations coming. Other than the wealthy who will be willing to pay for higher quality and better drugs/doctors, the funding available for innovation and new drugs will slow to a very small trickle of what it is today. No, it probably won't disappear, but it will be such a small percentage of what it is today.

    Instead of such a system, simply do a historical look back at costs. You'll see that up to the mid 70s, our cost were easily compatible with socialized systems. Much better to go back to that point, remove what caused the trouble and allow the system to return to balance and keep all the drugs and innovation.

    Not to mention that socializing med will kill motivation. Government controls pay also. How many of the best and brightest are going to settle for what the government offers and then be satisfied getting paid for high performance and standards while receiving the same as the laziest and least qualified? Especially when people of that brain power still have a plethora of career choices not restricted by the government.
    Only a fool measures equality by results and not opportunities.

  4. #154
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:54 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    43,358

    Re: There are 36 countries with better healthcare than the USA. What needs to happen?

    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    The last paragraph above is a huge unintended consequence of Obamacare. Much of the worlds improvement in life span, cure of diseases, and overall health is due to research by companies for the American market. Simply, the first pill costs millions, the second a few cents. Without a profit incentive, who will find the next polio cure?
    There are others, but that is one of the reasons I think that we will not fully understand Obamacare for a generation.

  5. #155
    Sage
    DDD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Republic of Dardania
    Last Seen
    05-06-17 @ 06:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,173

    Re: There are 36 countries with better healthcare than the USA. What needs to happen?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ad_Captandum View Post
    French troops since the turn of the millennia have been in: Cote d'Ivoire, Mali, Guyana, Djibouti, the Central African Republic, Kosovo, Afghanistan, Chad and Somalia. American troops have undertaken operations in: Iraq, Afghanistan, Somalia.
    When did the French troops came to Dardania (see clarification in signature)?
    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    Stats come out and always show life getting better. News makes money in making you think its not.
    The Republic of Dardania is the proper name for: http://www.debatepolitics.com/europe...ification.html

  6. #156
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where I am now
    Last Seen
    09-11-17 @ 03:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,386

    Re: There are 36 countries with better healthcare than the USA. What needs to happen?

    What needs to happen?

    Free enterprise.

    Outside of basic care for those who cannot afford it...get the government out of the medical field (except for regulation, of course).

    Allow insurance companies to charge whatever they wish and in any way they wish and deny anyone they wish for any reason they wish (again, those that cannot qualify can be aided by the government for basic care).
    I personally, would also like to see universal healthcare for needy children. NOT adults...just children. The latter should not suffer because they have useless parents.

    Government = STAGGERING inefficiency
    Last edited by DA60; 01-04-14 at 08:22 AM.

  7. #157
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: There are 36 countries with better healthcare than the USA. What needs to happen?

    I'm for universal healthcare.

  8. #158
    Professor
    SBu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Washington State
    Last Seen
    01-18-16 @ 03:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    1,523

    Re: There are 36 countries with better healthcare than the USA. What needs to happen?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hard Truth View Post
    In some states more than a quarter of the population had no coverage, medical problems were the leading cause of foreclosures and bankruptcies, and a large portion of health care for low income people was provided through the least cost efficient method; emergency rooms. Many people are stuck in their jobs because they wouldn't be able to get coverage otherwise. I considered that broken..

    We should not adopt another country's system because it is "cool," we should adopt the aspects of other country's systems that are proven to work well.
    I'm sure that none of those foreclosures and bankruptcies were due to poor financial planning, no. Like I said before, the jury is still out on this thing. You talk as though the bill that went into effect 3 days ago is already a huge success that everyone likes and blasts the old system out of the water. With all due respect (now I can say whatever I want), that is a bunch of BS.

    The old system wasn't broken. It was inefficient and bloated. Obamacare won't fix much of that through addressing mainly insurance. Lastly, which European system do you like? Keep in mind that logistics and administration for 5-10 million people is a little easier than 50-150 million (assuming the rest covered by work).

  9. #159
    Sage
    Higgins86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,253

    Re: There are 36 countries with better healthcare than the USA. What needs to happen?

    Like a lot of major social issues in the US I don't see this paticular issue being resolved anytime soon, America is just too divided on what is the best course.
    ‘This is not peace, it is an armistice for 20 years.’ (Ferdinand Foch. After the Treaty of Versailles, 1919).

  10. #160
    Sit Nomine Digna
    Carjosse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Montreal, QC, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    11,201

    Re: There are 36 countries with better healthcare than the USA. What needs to happen?

    Quote Originally Posted by DVSentinel View Post
    Right. Because all those people who are getting treatment and drugs for free at the government run centers will be more than happy to go out and pay for it out-of-pocket to keep innovations coming. Other than the wealthy who will be willing to pay for higher quality and better drugs/doctors, the funding available for innovation and new drugs will slow to a very small trickle of what it is today. No, it probably won't disappear, but it will be such a small percentage of what it is today.

    Instead of such a system, simply do a historical look back at costs. You'll see that up to the mid 70s, our cost were easily compatible with socialized systems. Much better to go back to that point, remove what caused the trouble and allow the system to return to balance and keep all the drugs and innovation.

    Not to mention that socializing med will kill motivation. Government controls pay also. How many of the best and brightest are going to settle for what the government offers and then be satisfied getting paid for high performance and standards while receiving the same as the laziest and least qualified? Especially when people of that brain power still have a plethora of career choices not restricted by the government.
    You have no idea how single-payer works then. Single-payer is a payment system where the government pays for everyone instead of just the individual patient. I can go to the United States and treatment and the Ontario government will pay for it, they just don't like doing it because they never negotiated the price. It is to make bargaining with companies which makes it easier to get cheaper drugs and other medical instruments. All the research is still done by private companies and universities just paid for differently and the price is negotiated instead of the companies being to charge what ever the hell they want. Sometimes provinces will even work together to buy things because you get a better deal if you say buy 1,000,000 whatever of a drug at a time instead of one person buying a few.

Page 16 of 29 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •