View Poll Results: What needs to change in US healthcare?

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • Complete overhaul, replacing old system with European-style universal healthcare.

    27 58.70%
  • Partial overhaul, including expansion of Medicare, reworking of profit-based insurance system.

    9 19.57%
  • Sparse overhaul, based around getting rid of the profit-based private insurance companies.

    4 8.70%
  • Nothing needs to change, the US system is good the way it is.

    6 13.04%
Page 14 of 29 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 284

Thread: There are 36 countries with better healthcare than the USA. What needs to happen?

  1. #131
    Sit Nomine Digna
    Carjosse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Montreal, QC, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    11,152

    Re: There are 36 countries with better healthcare than the USA. What needs to happen?

    Quote Originally Posted by DVSentinel View Post
    Whether their commiecrats that call themselves liberal, socialist, progressive or any other than, they are still the greatest destructive force in the country.

    As far as what works in Europe, most of our ancestors came here to get away from crap in Europe, not copy it.
    Weird when I went to Europe it wasn't war ravaged anymore, the Berlin Wall was down, and overall they seem to have a pretty good quality of life equal to or greater than America; especially those dang Scandinavian countries. Basically all of America's fundamentals ideas and concepts came from Europe aswell.
    Last edited by Carjosse; 01-03-14 at 11:37 PM.

  2. #132
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Republic of Texas.
    Last Seen
    11-15-17 @ 11:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,647

    Re: There are 36 countries with better healthcare than the USA. What needs to happen?

    Quote Originally Posted by Carjosse View Post
    Weird when I went to Europe it wasn't war ravaged anymore, the Berlin Wall was down, and overall they seem to have a pretty good quality of life equal to or greater than America; especially those dang Scandinavian countries. Basically all of America's fundamentals ideas and concepts came from Europe aswell.
    And how much of the **** they have is reliant upon us, that being the US. They have a low enough population that their oil sales cover their expenses. Take a look a Mexico and Venezuela, both get their money the same way but due to much greater populations, they suck.

    So don't be feeding us a line about how well reliant socialism works there when your trying to kill off the ones they are reliant upon and their system has proven to be futile and down right idiotic for larger populations.

    Also, if you and others like that **** so well, guess what, there are boats and airplanes headed that way everyday, don't let the door hit you on the ass on your way out and don't expect us to miss you. If you think it is so good the, fine move instead of trying to **** **** up for the rest of us.
    Only a fool measures equality by results and not opportunities.

  3. #133
    Professor
    Leo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,674

    Re: There are 36 countries with better healthcare than the USA. What needs to happen?

    Quote Originally Posted by Carjosse View Post
    Weird when I went to Europe it wasn't war ravaged anymore, the Berlin Wall was down, and overall they seem to have a pretty good quality of life equal to or greater than America; especially those dang Scandinavian countries.
    Despite the impression one might get from the 'patriotic' Americans on this, and other, boards, that is the sort of thing all my RL American friends say. But then they, like yourself, are perceptive, educated, and well travelled people, who forget to pack their "Go USA!" blinkers.
    I hate the idea of causes, and if I had to choose between betraying my country and betraying my friend, I hope I should have the guts to betray my country. E.M. Forster

  4. #134
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,316

    Re: There are 36 countries with better healthcare than the USA. What needs to happen?

    Quote Originally Posted by joG View Post
    There are certainly problems with the American system. It is too expensive, for instance. But it is not so straightforward what "better" means.
    When you sight the European countries, I know some of the systems quite well. If I consider the German, the only thing that is better is that it takes less of GDP. But most of the better doctors or dentists are American trained. If you don't have private insurance you get less good treatment . The quality ofpublic coverage has come down and is deteriorating. The frequency of hospital infection of MFSR is so high that you are refused admittance in Dutch hospitals coming from a German hospital etc.

    Also don't forget that most medicine is developed for the American market and the quality of treatment in other countries is thus only possible because of the state of US health care
    .
    The last paragraph above is a huge unintended consequence of Obamacare. Much of the worlds improvement in life span, cure of diseases, and overall health is due to research by companies for the American market. Simply, the first pill costs millions, the second a few cents. Without a profit incentive, who will find the next polio cure?

  5. #135
    Sit Nomine Digna
    Carjosse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Montreal, QC, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    11,152

    Re: There are 36 countries with better healthcare than the USA. What needs to happen?

    Quote Originally Posted by DVSentinel View Post
    And how much of the **** they have is reliant upon us, that being the US. They have a low enough population that their oil sales cover their expenses. Take a look a Mexico and Venezuela, both get their money the same way but due to much greater populations, they suck.

    So don't be feeding us a line about how well reliant socialism works there when your trying to kill off the ones they are reliant upon and their system has proven to be futile and down right idiotic for larger populations.

    Also, if you and others like that **** so well, guess what, there are boats and airplanes headed that way everyday, don't let the door hit you on the ass on your way out and don't expect us to miss you. If you think it is so good the, fine move instead of trying to **** **** up for the rest of us.
    I'm quite happy sitting above your country with my socialized medicine. There are also larger countries with socialized medicine, Japan being the main example.

  6. #136
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Republic of Texas.
    Last Seen
    11-15-17 @ 11:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,647

    Re: There are 36 countries with better healthcare than the USA. What needs to happen?

    Quote Originally Posted by Carjosse View Post
    I'm quite happy sitting above your country with my socialized medicine. There are also larger countries with socialized medicine, Japan being the main example.
    And how much would you have without us?

    Look, your in a low population, marginally influential country that is not the leader of much of anything. The US is the most innovative, influential country in the world. We are only a little over 300 million, but we are overwhelmingly the major source of innovation and all the rest of the around 7 billion people in the world are reliant upon us. We pay for the drugs people get, we pay for the technology, we create the procedures and we are the ones that in the end, pay for and provide so the rest can have it.

    Face it, economically, politically, socially and medically, Canada and all the Scandinavian countries could fall of the face of the earth tomorrow and very little if anything in the world, other than the ocean levels, would change and the percentage of the world that would care is measured to the right of the decimal point of 1% with a lot of leading zeros.

    When you become top dog, then you tell us something, until then, we are the top dog and you are just a fringe hanger on to the pack.
    Only a fool measures equality by results and not opportunities.

  7. #137
    Guru
    scatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    02-09-17 @ 10:57 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,721

    Re: There are 36 countries with better healthcare than the USA. What needs to happen?

    Quote Originally Posted by Carjosse View Post
    Basically all of America's fundamentals ideas and concepts came from Europe aswell.
    Free speech and guns (which are not widely accepted over there anymore)?

  8. #138
    Sit Nomine Digna
    Carjosse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Montreal, QC, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    11,152

    Re: There are 36 countries with better healthcare than the USA. What needs to happen?

    Quote Originally Posted by DVSentinel View Post
    And how much would you have without us?

    Look, your in a low population, marginally influential country that is not the leader of much of anything. The US is the most innovative, influential country in the world. We are only a little over 300 million, but we are overwhelmingly the major source of innovation and all the rest of the around 7 billion people in the world are reliant upon us. We pay for the drugs people get, we pay for the technology, we create the procedures and we are the ones that in the end, pay for and provide so the rest can have it.

    Face it, economically, politically, socially and medically, Canada and all the Scandinavian countries could fall of the face of the earth tomorrow and very little if anything in the world, other than the ocean levels, would change and the percentage of the world that would care is measured to the right of the decimal point of 1% with a lot of leading zeros.

    When you become top dog, then you tell us something, until then, we are the top dog and you are just a fringe hanger on to the pack.
    None of that would change with single payer. If Canada dropped off the face of the Earth the U.S. would plunge into economic catastrophe as you would lose most of your oil. Canada and the Scandinavian countries are doing far better economically, our governments actually function and we have faith in them, socially we are also much better off as Canada is a multicultural success story and has simply a better quality of life and social services.

  9. #139
    Sit Nomine Digna
    Carjosse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Montreal, QC, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    11,152

    Re: There are 36 countries with better healthcare than the USA. What needs to happen?

    Quote Originally Posted by scatt View Post
    Free speech and guns (which are not widely accepted over there anymore)?
    Ever been to Switzerland? Free speech exists in Europe aswell but they also recognize reasonable limits like Canada, if you do not have limits it leads to abuse. People can hunt if they want in Europe and thus own guns.

  10. #140
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Republic of Texas.
    Last Seen
    11-15-17 @ 11:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,647

    Re: There are 36 countries with better healthcare than the USA. What needs to happen?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ad_Captandum View Post
    France and Britain are still in the top 10 economies in the world, as is Germany. They have two of the best militaries in the world -- most analysts put France as the third most powerful military IN THE WORLD, after the US and Russia.

    The EU is the world's largest economy, the centre of Western political and philosophical thought, and the single largest: Aid donor, developer, international arbiter, economic power, and normative/social power.

    The French and British invade, even in the last 50 years, more countries on average than the US, and indeed they have a better success rate in those countries. France has just recently deployed to Chad, the Central African Republic and Mali, while also maintaining a force in Afghanistan for the duration of that war, as well as troops in the Horn of Africa, Djibouti, Cote d'Ivoire, and Guyana amongst others. The allied intervention in Libya in 2011 was mainly based off of the French aircraft carrier Charles de Gaulle, which is, by the way, the only nuclear-powered aircraft carrier in the world operated by a country other than the US.

    The countries of the EU, as well, fund a much larger portion of the UN than America does:

    United Nations - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    All told, America funds 22% of the UN, while the EU funds more than 30% of the UN.

    So, in other words, pull your colonial head out of your ass -- the facts do not agree with you.
    Militaryies? What do you know about militaries. The US is more than capable of defeating conventionally the entire combined military forces of the rest of the world if the British and British Commonwealth states stay neutral. Britain (commonwealth countries included here), Israel and possibly japan are the only two countries that even come close to developing the quality of US equipment and troops. Can we exert control over all those populations, no, could we defeat them in a stand up fight, no problem at all, just might take a bit of time.

    EU is not the most political or economically influential. If given a choice between the EU and the US in a trade war, there would be very few who followed the EU. And military force = Political influence when all is said and done.

    BTW, in Afghanistan, it was the French, who retreated in the face of odds faced regularly by US and the British forces that allowed the insurgents to get such a strong foot hold in Afghanistan today. The only problem defeating French troops is where to put and how to feed all the surrender monkies.
    Only a fool measures equality by results and not opportunities.

Page 14 of 29 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •