View Poll Results: Do you reject evolution?

Voters
127. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    7 5.51%
  • No

    120 94.49%
Page 6 of 25 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 243

Thread: Do you reject evolution?

  1. #51
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,359

    Re: Do you reject evolution?

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    No, I hold it APPEARS to be random, however, it COULD be by design as well.
    It could always be God. No one can ever prove that to be impossible. Your position is meaningless.

  2. #52
    Pragmatist
    SouthernDemocrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    KC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,409

    Re: Do you reject evolution?

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    Again, that is an assumption. Not fact. They APPEAR random maybe to you and others. That doesn't mean there isn't ANY design in them.
    Science is naturalistic, we can only go by what is observable in some way. Observation, along with the laws of chemistry and physics, tells us that gene mutations are random and those mutations result from molecular changes as they are copied. Yes, one could say they believe God is behind those changes. However, that is no different than saying one believes that a small teapot orbits the sun somewhere between Mars and Jupiter and just because we haven't seen it, that doesn't mean its not there. After all, its a massive place and how could we ever hope to ever find a tiny little teapot orbiting the sun?

    My point being is that you can chose to believe that God is behind some of the perceived randomness, but that is not science, that is simply a personal belief of yours.
    "You're the only person that decides how far you'll go and what you're capable of." - Ben Saunders (Explorer and Endurance Athlete)

  3. #53
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Do you reject evolution?

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    It could always be God. No one can ever prove that to be impossible. Your position is meaningless.
    And your position that it is random as fact is as well. Thank you for your concession.

  4. #54
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,359

    Re: Do you reject evolution?

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    And your position that it is random as fact is as well. Thank you for your concession.

    Without random mutation, one does NOT believe in evolution.

  5. #55
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Do you reject evolution?

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDemocrat View Post
    Science is naturalistic, we can only go by what is observable in some way. Observation, along with the laws of chemistry and physics, tells us that gene mutations are random and those mutations result from molecular changes as they are copied. Yes, one could say they believe God is behind those changes. However, that is no different than saying one believes that a small teapot orbits the sun somewhere between Mars and Jupiter and just because we haven't seen it, that doesn't mean its not there. After all, its a massive place and how could we ever hope to ever find a tiny little teapot orbiting the sun?

    My point being is that you can chose to believe that God is behind some of the perceived randomness, but that is not science, that is simply a personal belief of yours.
    When you claim something IS random, you are in fact making an assumption yourself in the affirmitive. Science is not absolute. If you were to claim it APPEARS random, then I would agree with you, however when you say it IS random, you are making an affirmative. Kinda like when an atheist says 'There is NO god" there are in fact making an unprovable assumption as well.

  6. #56
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Do you reject evolution?

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Without random mutation, one does NOT believe in evolution.
    Again, you are simply incorrect

  7. #57
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,359

    Re: Do you reject evolution?

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    Not really, because evolution could still be God(s) design.
    Wrong!

    Evolution's driving mechanism is random mutation. Design =/= random.

    You're saying change could be through God's design, but if one takes random mutation away from evolution, one is no longer talking about evolution at all but Intelligent Design.

  8. #58
    Guru
    ashurbanipal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    4,857

    Re: Do you reject evolution?

    I absolutely think evolution took place on this planet. But I also think there are some pretty serious empiric problems with the theory that aren't easy to solve with currently-known mechanisms. There are also some logical problems with the theory that probably cannot be solved. So it's a theory in need of adjustment, but this will need to be done in a rigorous manner.

  9. #59
    Sage
    Dezaad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Last Seen
    06-28-15 @ 10:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    5,058
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Do you reject evolution?

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    Who says it is is random and not by some design? The idea of evolution is about change and adaptation.
    To what end would god create an illusion of random mutation and natural selection? To **** with us?
    You can never be safe from a government that can keep you completely safe from each other and the world. You must choose.

  10. #60
    free market communist
    Gardener's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    09-30-17 @ 12:27 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    26,661

    Re: Do you reject evolution?

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    What religion are you?
    Or a better question -- could this sort of mindless dogmatism actually serve a purpose in terms of survival of the species?

    I mean, since we are a social animal devoid of proper offensive weaponry by way of fangs or claws, and are slow, soft-bodied creatures lacking any sort of defensive capabilities, the only advantage we have is our ability to cooperate with each other for a common purpose. In that, perhaps we are hardwired towards shared belief to some degree, and while his may be an extreme expression of such and lacking in intelligence, it could actually reveal one of those survival traits that are a product of evolution.
    "you're better off on Stormfront discussing how evil brown men are taking innocent white flowers." Infinite Chaos

Page 6 of 25 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •