View Poll Results: Should the minimum wage be raised?

Voters
69. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    30 43.48%
  • no

    23 33.33%
  • It should be repealed

    15 21.74%
  • other

    1 1.45%
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 89

Thread: Should the minimum wage be raised?[W:30]

  1. #61
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Should the minimum wage be raised?

    Quote Originally Posted by Capster78 View Post
    Because you have choices. People working for minimum wage have 2 choices, work for minimum wage, or live on the street.
    People working for minimum wage do not have access to the various state and federal welfare, housing and other programs?
    “I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on what’s being proposed here, he’d agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute.” - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  2. #62
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,105

    Re: Should the minimum wage be raised?

    Quote Originally Posted by Capster78 View Post
    Because you have choices. People working for minimum wage have 2 choices, work for minimum wage, or live on the street.
    1. That is not accurate. People on minimum wage have many choices of employers, as many jobs start off at minimum wage.

    2. However, you are correct that, in the absence of being able to secure employment at the minimum wage, their option is unemployment. That is, in fact, the strongest argument against the minimum wage.

  3. #63
    Engineer

    RabidAlpaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    American in Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    14,567

    Re: Should the minimum wage be raised?

    Quote Originally Posted by Capster78 View Post
    Because you have choices. People working for minimum wage have 2 choices, work for minimum wage, or live on the street.
    So your solution is to take the choice away from the Chinese workers by removing their edge in the market and reducing the money flowing into China? How does that help them? Then they just have one option: live on the street.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    People working for minimum wage do not have access to the various state and federal welfare, housing and other programs?
    I've never met anyone working a minimum age job who lived on the street. Even without assistance, in places like Texas one can get a tiny, extremely modest apartment for 200-300 bucks a month.
    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    I've got to say that it is shadenfreudalicious to see the rich and famous fucquewads on the coast suffering from the fires.

  4. #64
    Professor
    Capster78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    08-24-15 @ 02:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    2,253

    Re: Should the minimum wage be raised?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    People working for minimum wage do not have access to the various state and federal welfare, housing and other programs?
    If you had read my earlier posts, you would have seen that I would rather companies pay employees then the tax payer. If we raised minimum wage to a living wage there would be a lot fewer people on public assistance.
    - There was never a good war, or a bad peace.
    - Idealistically, everything should work as you planed it to. Realistically, it depends on how idealistic you are as to the measure of success.
    - Better to be a pessimist before, and an optimist afterwords.

  5. #65
    Student Singe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    10-12-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    170

    Re: Should the minimum wage be raised?

    Quote Originally Posted by Capster78 View Post
    If we raised minimum wage to a living wage...
    Please define the dollar amount for a federal "living wage" that would apply to all regions of the country/the entire citizenry? Thanks much.

  6. #66
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,589

    Re: Should the minimum wage be raised?

    Quote Originally Posted by Singe View Post
    Since you referenced it, that community is also facing its own confusing exemptions due to a recent court ruling. Have been following this closely for the same reason you mentioned... because there should be some interesting data. But now... much less of that data.

    Link: SeaTac’s $15 minimum wage goes into effect


    I'm not of the mind that the Feds should be involved in this at all. Could be wrong.

    I like the idea of 50 states running their own little incubators and seeing what works best.

    They are already doing this in terms of taxation and the population may be moving as the local tax rates drive the populations around.
    I am not of the mind that a man is either of science or of religion. At his best and his worst, man exists in the misty glimmering where the falling angel meets the rising ape. That he chooses a direction from that point defines him as human.

  7. #67
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    02-18-14 @ 08:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,660

    Re: Should the minimum wage be raised?

    hell no, more skill equals more pay.

  8. #68
    Educator hallam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Philly
    Last Seen
    10-23-15 @ 09:44 AM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    620

    Re: Should the minimum wage be raised?

    Quote Originally Posted by Capster78 View Post
    Completely disagree. There are people that simply do not have the money or the mind to attend higher education. Not to mention, doing so, may even put them even further into debt. As most who don't have the mind or money to attend higher education usually get worthless degree's and end up working where they are anyway. Maybe in a higher paying position, but generally not making even enough to pay off their student debt which puts them in even a worse economic situation. If we made higher education mandatory and free, there would still need to be people working at the fast food places and in lower income jobs. Those jobs will never disappear and there will always be people trying to live off those wages. The only difference would be that the person salting your fries would be an educated fry salter.
    Actually the lower service jobs will disappear eventually as robots are miniaturized. The vending machine for pizza show us that there are no repetitive task jobs which can't be completed by a robot. And we may have a different idea of education. I don't see High Education, which usually means college/university, as the only educational venture. There are vocational and technical schools too. So if you mean all of these then I misunderstood you. But if you mean just college then you are wrong.

    Further, I don't think there are people who can't educate themselves. If you truly believe that there are some people out there that can't get any smarter than to work as a burger flipper at Wendy's then I don't know what to say. It is untrue but it is also a sad way of looking at people. But I don't believe you. People can always learn and can always get better. As to the money, debt is sometimes needed. Plus, they can slowly educate themselves and use their own money if they save enough should they not want debt. There are always options.

  9. #69
    Professor
    Capster78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    08-24-15 @ 02:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    2,253

    Re: Should the minimum wage be raised?

    Quote Originally Posted by hallam View Post
    Actually the lower service jobs will disappear eventually as robots are miniaturized. The vending machine for pizza show us that there are no repetitive task jobs which can't be completed by a robot. And we may have a different idea of education. I don't see High Education, which usually means college/university, as the only educational venture. There are vocational and technical schools too. So if you mean all of these then I misunderstood you. But if you mean just college then you are wrong.

    Further, I don't think there are people who can't educate themselves. If you truly believe that there are some people out there that can't get any smarter than to work as a burger flipper at Wendy's then I don't know what to say. It is untrue but it is also a sad way of looking at people. But I don't believe you. People can always learn and can always get better. As to the money, debt is sometimes needed. Plus, they can slowly educate themselves and use their own money if they save enough should they not want debt. There are always options.
    Thats a good 30-50 years off. Until then, we need companies to be responsible employers and pay people instead of enslave them. Why punish those who are WILLING to be productive individuals? The same people get pissed about people living on public assistence, don't want to reward people who do become a part of productive society. It just puzzles me.
    - There was never a good war, or a bad peace.
    - Idealistically, everything should work as you planed it to. Realistically, it depends on how idealistic you are as to the measure of success.
    - Better to be a pessimist before, and an optimist afterwords.

  10. #70
    Student Singe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    10-12-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    170

    Re: Should the minimum wage be raised?

    Quote Originally Posted by Capster78 View Post
    If we raised minimum wage to a living wage there would be a lot fewer people on public assistance.
    Can you define the dollar amount (or as close as you think it should be) for a federal "living wage" that would apply to all regions of the country/the entire citizenry?

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •