View Poll Results: Should Corporate/Privatized prisons be outlawed?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

    36 81.82%
  • No.

    6 13.64%
  • Other.

    1 2.27%
  • I did not know about Corporate prisons.

    1 2.27%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 101

Thread: For-Profit Prisons: Eight Statistics That Show the Problems

  1. #51
    Don't Give a Rat's Ass
    SMTA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    OH
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    21,809

    Re: For-Profit Prisons: Eight Statistics That Show the Problems

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    Judges that get paid off. Was a big story... a few judges made tons of money giving stiffer sentences and were caught.
    That's what I figured.

    It is not an indicator for the idea as a whole, though.

    The success of not-for-profit prisons should (hopefully) force improvements in the current state run facilities.
    Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher
    Baby sister, I was born game and I intend to go out that way - Rooster Cogburn

  2. #52
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:00 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,397

    Re: For-Profit Prisons: Eight Statistics That Show the Problems

    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalEvilDan View Post
    I do recall reading something about this, and that is criminal activity that absolutely positively should be punished, as it was in this case.

    I'm just saying the sole fact of having to pay for beds whether or not they are occupied is not in and of itself an incentive to sentence people to prison.

    Again, I'm saying this as someone who is not a fan of private prisons -- I'll also throw out there that I'm not a fan of the American justice system in general. I just didn't think that objection was particularly valid.
    There's political pressure from constituents to fill beds if they're being paid for.

    "What do you mean we're paying for empty beds?!?"
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  3. #53
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:00 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,397

    Re: For-Profit Prisons: Eight Statistics That Show the Problems

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveFagan View Post
    Of course, if you can make more laws making more things illegal, you will have more prisoners and keep all the prisons full. Good Corporate marketing entails getting more laws and harsher sentences passed. You do recognize the problem if they are not full up because as a business that leads to bankruptcy. Ergo, have your lobbyists pay legislators to get more laws passed and sentences extended. Even local jails fight to get Federal prisoners because it pays so good.
    Full prisons means a need for more prisons, and a profit-incentive for those running the prisons wants to build more prisons and thus gain more profit.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  4. #54
    Shankmasta Killa
    TacticalEvilDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western NY and Geneva, CH
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,444

    Re: For-Profit Prisons: Eight Statistics That Show the Problems

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveFagan View Post
    Of course, if you can make more laws making more things illegal, you will have more prisoners and keep all the prisons full. Good Corporate marketing entails getting more laws and harsher sentences passed. You do recognize the problem if they are not full up because as a business that leads to bankruptcy. Ergo, have your lobbyists pay legislators to get more laws passed and sentences extended. Even local jails fight to get Federal prisoners because it pays so good.
    That's a far more reasonable objection, except that given the hysteria in today's political environment and the drive to be "tough on crime" and overcriminalization in general, I'd say they don't really need to hire lobbyists.
    I'm already gearing up for Finger Vote 2014.

    Just for reference, means my post was a giant steaming pile of sarcasm.

  5. #55
    Shankmasta Killa
    TacticalEvilDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western NY and Geneva, CH
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,444

    Re: For-Profit Prisons: Eight Statistics That Show the Problems

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    There's political pressure from constituents to fill beds if they're being paid for.

    "What do you mean we're paying for empty beds?!?"
    Really? I've heard and seen all sorts of ludicrous points raised in arguments over current events, somehow I missed the empty bed argument.
    I'm already gearing up for Finger Vote 2014.

    Just for reference, means my post was a giant steaming pile of sarcasm.

  6. #56
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:00 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,397

    Re: For-Profit Prisons: Eight Statistics That Show the Problems

    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalEvilDan View Post
    That's a far more reasonable objection, except that given the hysteria in today's political environment and the drive to be "tough on crime" and overcriminalization in general, I'd say they don't really need to hire lobbyists.
    Are you really that blind to how things work? "Tough on crime" is only the beginning. Lobbyists convince politicians to let private industry do it rather than the government.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  7. #57
    Shankmasta Killa
    TacticalEvilDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western NY and Geneva, CH
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,444

    Re: For-Profit Prisons: Eight Statistics That Show the Problems

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Are you really that blind to how things work? "Tough on crime" is only the beginning. Lobbyists convince politicians to let private industry do it rather than the government.
    Seeing as how my once-rosy view of the system was pretty radically altered by personal experience, no, I don't think I'm blind to how things work. I'm just saying that the drive to put people in prison has very little to do with empty beds, and that politicians are in such a race to look like they're "doing something" that the private prison industry doesn't need to spend money to make it easier for people to go to prison.
    I'm already gearing up for Finger Vote 2014.

    Just for reference, means my post was a giant steaming pile of sarcasm.

  8. #58
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:21 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,795

    Re: For-Profit Prisons: Eight Statistics That Show the Problems

    Quote Originally Posted by SMTA View Post
    That's what I figured.

    It is not an indicator for the idea as a whole, though.

    The success of not-for-profit prisons should (hopefully) force improvements in the current state run facilities.
    Dude, with morality capitalism trumps government any day of the week. I am in favor of capitalism and private enterprise... it is just that they have to be held accountable. You hear stories about a cities water being run by the city and it is crap... a private company takes over and it is elevated to near perfection. I would like the same for prisons it is just that I trust judges as low as I trust Lawyers, pharmaceutical companies, insurance and salesmen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  9. #59
    Don't Give a Rat's Ass
    SMTA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    OH
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    21,809

    Re: For-Profit Prisons: Eight Statistics That Show the Problems

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    Dude, with morality capitalism trumps government any day of the week. I am in favor of capitalism and private enterprise... it is just that they have to be held accountable. You hear stories about a cities water being run by the city and it is crap... a private company takes over and it is elevated to near perfection. I would like the same for prisons it is just that I trust judges as low as I trust Lawyers, pharmaceutical companies, insurance and salesmen.
    Yea, I know.

    Damned if we do, damned if we don't.

    You just can't win.

    You can be sure that the state will turn a blind eye once the conversion takes place, and then cry foul when a problem arises that was not caught because they ignored their oversight duties.
    Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher
    Baby sister, I was born game and I intend to go out that way - Rooster Cogburn

  10. #60
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:21 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,795

    Re: For-Profit Prisons: Eight Statistics That Show the Problems

    Quote Originally Posted by SMTA View Post
    Yea, I know.

    Damned if we do, damned if we don't.

    You just can't win.

    You can be sure that the state will turn a blind eye once the conversion takes place, and then cry foul when a problem arises that was not caught because they ignored their oversight duties.
    After going through the Court process 3 times I trust judges almost zero. There would have to be some massive regulation. A review board of all cases to find judicial misconduct... but then that is probably worse than the government system we already have.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •