View Poll Results: Should Corporate/Privatized prisons be outlawed?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

    36 81.82%
  • No.

    6 13.64%
  • Other.

    1 2.27%
  • I did not know about Corporate prisons.

    1 2.27%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 101

Thread: For-Profit Prisons: Eight Statistics That Show the Problems

  1. #41
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,756

    Re: For-Profit Prisons: Eight Statistics That Show the Problems

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    Corrections and law enforcement duties should not be outsourced, no private company should have the authority to detain and arrest anyone or have any law enforcement capabilities.


    Has it occurred to you that the reason for the high prison population is because these violent criminals are behind bars?



    Those who are here illegally should go to jail/prison.Illegal immigration is something that should be discouraged.That means throwing those who are caught here illegal into jail before deporting them.I would like to see the scum who aid and or employ illegals also thrown into jail and subject to asset seizure and forfeiture laws.



    I think those numbers are a sign that our justice system is good at catching and prosecuting criminals.
    Yes, authoritarians would think that.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  2. #42
    Iconoclast
    DaveFagan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    wny
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:17 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,292

    Re: For-Profit Prisons: Eight Statistics That Show the Problems

    Quote Originally Posted by Born Free View Post
    what does a corporate run prison have to do with the population of our prisons?
    It may have a lot to do with why drugs, even relatively harmless ones, are illegal. It may have a lot to do with immigration enforcement. Makes lots of laws that keep the prisons profitable by keeping them at full occupancy.

  3. #43
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:32 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,853

    Re: For-Profit Prisons: Eight Statistics That Show the Problems

    Quote Originally Posted by SMTA View Post
    Sentences are driven by for-profit prisons how?
    Judges that get paid off. Was a big story... a few judges made tons of money giving stiffer sentences and were caught.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  4. #44
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:32 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,853

    Re: For-Profit Prisons: Eight Statistics That Show the Problems

    Quote Originally Posted by Born Free View Post
    Tell me again what does the law and a person getting two years in prison have to do with who runs it.

    I guess you would be OK with a kid getting two years in prison for stealing a pack of gum if the prison was government run.
    Think before you write... judges give out the sentence... the most stiff penalties were the judge decides the punishment, not the criminal code. That is what was so shocking and why they got caught, eventually, after years, perhaps decades, of screwing over kids and families. But go ahead and make some more idiotic assumptions like a simpleton twat would, if you like.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  5. #45
    Shankmasta Killa
    TacticalEvilDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western NY and Geneva, CH
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,444

    Re: For-Profit Prisons: Eight Statistics That Show the Problems

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveFagan View Post
    90% Occupancy
    States sign agreements with private prisons to guarantee that they will fill a certain number of beds in jail at any given point. The most common rate is 90%, though some prisons are able to snag a 100% promise from their local governments. Because of these contracts, the state is obligated to keep prisons almost full at all times or pay for the beds anyway, so the incentive is to incarcerate more people and for longer in order to fill the quota.
    I don't like private prisons either, but I'm going to call you on this one. Unless the local/state government or criminal court judges get a kickback from private prisons for occupancy, there's no added incentive to send people to prison just to fill the space. You pay for state prisons whether they're full up or not, it makes sense that the same would be true of private prisons.
    I'm already gearing up for Finger Vote 2014.

    Just for reference, means my post was a giant steaming pile of sarcasm.

  6. #46
    The Dude
    Kobie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Western NY
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    42,878

    Re: For-Profit Prisons: Eight Statistics That Show the Problems

    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalEvilDan View Post
    I don't like private prisons either, but I'm going to call you on this one. Unless the local/state government or criminal court judges get a kickback from private prisons for occupancy, there's no added incentive to send people to prison just to fill the space. You pay for state prisons whether they're full up or not, it makes sense that the same would be true of private prisons.
    Kids for cash scandal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Freedom of speech is not freedom from criticism.

  7. #47
    Shankmasta Killa
    TacticalEvilDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western NY and Geneva, CH
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,444

    Re: For-Profit Prisons: Eight Statistics That Show the Problems

    I do recall reading something about this, and that is criminal activity that absolutely positively should be punished, as it was in this case.

    I'm just saying the sole fact of having to pay for beds whether or not they are occupied is not in and of itself an incentive to sentence people to prison.

    Again, I'm saying this as someone who is not a fan of private prisons -- I'll also throw out there that I'm not a fan of the American justice system in general. I just didn't think that objection was particularly valid.
    I'm already gearing up for Finger Vote 2014.

    Just for reference, means my post was a giant steaming pile of sarcasm.

  8. #48
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:54 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,399

    Re: For-Profit Prisons: Eight Statistics That Show the Problems

    While that is, most likely, an isolated incident... at least to that degree and blatancy... it still never should have happened at all and is a textbook example of why profit incentive should be abolished entirely from the justice system.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  9. #49
    The Dude
    Kobie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Western NY
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    42,878

    Re: For-Profit Prisons: Eight Statistics That Show the Problems

    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalEvilDan View Post
    I do recall reading something about this, and that is criminal activity that absolutely positively should be punished, as it was in this case.

    I'm just saying the sole fact of having to pay for beds whether or not they are occupied is not in and of itself an incentive to sentence people to prison.

    Again, I'm saying this as someone who is not a fan of private prisons -- I'll also throw out there that I'm not a fan of the American justice system in general. I just didn't think that objection was particularly valid.
    Fair enough; I would say those beds often get filled because the private prison lobby actively pushes for harsher sentencing and continued criminalization of drugs.
    Freedom of speech is not freedom from criticism.

  10. #50
    Iconoclast
    DaveFagan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    wny
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:17 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,292

    Re: For-Profit Prisons: Eight Statistics That Show the Problems

    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalEvilDan View Post
    I don't like private prisons either, but I'm going to call you on this one. Unless the local/state government or criminal court judges get a kickback from private prisons for occupancy, there's no added incentive to send people to prison just to fill the space. You pay for state prisons whether they're full up or not, it makes sense that the same would be true of private prisons.
    Of course, if you can make more laws making more things illegal, you will have more prisoners and keep all the prisons full. Good Corporate marketing entails getting more laws and harsher sentences passed. You do recognize the problem if they are not full up because as a business that leads to bankruptcy. Ergo, have your lobbyists pay legislators to get more laws passed and sentences extended. Even local jails fight to get Federal prisoners because it pays so good.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •