View Poll Results: What will today's end of benefits for 1.3m Americans mean for this forum?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Won't. Even. Put. A. Dent. In. Participation. Here. At. All.

    10 35.71%
  • It means most of us here will be posting from our iPads while flipping burgers at Mickey Dee's.

    6 21.43%
  • It'll hurt, but glass half-full: At least the number of "American Idol" viewers'll drop, too!

    10 35.71%
  • S'pose I really don't give enough of a spit to give it much thought, really.

    2 7.14%
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 75

Thread: unemployment benefits running out for 1.3m americans saturday

  1. #51
    Sage
    Unitedwestand13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Sunnyvale California
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 05:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    14,985

    Re: unemployment benefits running out for 1.3m americans saturday

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveFagan View Post
    I don't see anything wrong with each of those scenarios. The gov't subsidized the guy building the business with unemployment and now he is a business and a taxpayer and may even have employees paying taxes. A success story for unemployment. The 63 year old woman probably never drew unemployment before in her life and was well-advised by her counselors. It always takes time for "cash businesses" to succeed and also takes entrepreneurial skills to get started. Its just temporary subsidization and a hell of a lot better than giving JP Morgan Chase or GE or Haliburton or Exxon/Mobil another thin dime. If you want to cry about subsidization, look at the Corporate Welfare Queens where the big monies are stolen. Repair the big problem first, then the small problem.
    Why is there such a negative stigma againist people who are unemployed?
    "If you can't stand the way this place is, Take yourself to higher places!"
    Break, By Three days grace

    Hilliary Clinton/Tim Kaine 2016

  2. #52
    Iconoclast
    DaveFagan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    wny
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:16 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,306

    Re: unemployment benefits running out for 1.3m americans saturday

    Quote Originally Posted by Unitedwestand13 View Post
    Why is there such a negative stigma againist people who are unemployed?
    Because the Mainstream Media makes a Federal case out of the occasional malingerer/fraud/cheat who milks the system. It is a target that cannot fight back, so you never really get both sides of the issue. Republicans like to pretend Corporate Welfare doesn't exist because they are the ones getting that money and can create problems for any Mainstream Media that publicizes that or correctly describes Corporate subsidies as Corporate Welfare. I shouldn't indict all Repubs because some still have common sense, but the Republicans are the party of Big Business and spout "What's good for business is good for America." It's nonsense. "War is good business, and business is good." War is Welfare for the Military/Industrial/Corporate complex, but nobody calls them "Welfare Queens."

  3. #53
    Banned Steve Ja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Kansas
    Last Seen
    11-30-15 @ 09:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,092
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: unemployment benefits running out for 1.3m americans saturday

    Quote Originally Posted by shart attack View Post
    Well I don't consider unemployment pay a benefit, but an entitlement. We all pay a separate tax into it, so it is there when we need it. How long that entitlement lasts while unemployed is the issue at hand. Same can be said for other programs like Social Security and medicare which are also entitlements. You have to look at the intent of the entitlement. Unemployment is intended to be temporary and not a lifeline, so should be cut off at a certain point, where as SS and Medicare are meant to support you for the rest of your life after retirement. I believe that point should be 12 months for unemployment and it starts to build back up as you hold a job. I think it should be a 4-1 ratio meaning say you took 2 months of unemployment before getting a job, you are left with 10 months of entitlement. Every month you earn a week of entitlement back and at 8 months you have regained your entire 12 month entitlement back.
    Last edited by Steve Ja; 12-28-13 at 02:16 PM.

  4. #54
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,144

    Re: unemployment benefits running out for 1.3m americans saturday

    Quote Originally Posted by Unitedwestand13 View Post
    Why is there such a negative stigma againist people who are unemployed?
    I don't think there is a stigma against people who are unemployed per se, so much as there is the belief that significant numbers of the long-term unemployed are those who are waiting for the kind of job they want at the pay they want in their area to open up - the belief that unemployment benefits dull the willingness to take work that would be beneath the level or pay of the job lost. That speaks, as well to the nature of the people making that decision, but does not extend to everyone who has taken an unemployment check.

  5. #55
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: unemployment benefits running out for 1.3m americans saturday

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    I don't think there is a stigma against people who are unemployed per se, so much as there is the belief that significant numbers of the long-term unemployed are those who are waiting for the kind of job they want at the pay they want in their area to open up - the belief that unemployment benefits dull the willingness to take work that would be beneath the level or pay of the job lost. That speaks, as well to the nature of the people making that decision, but does not extend to everyone who has taken an unemployment check.
    Wow....you describe a set of negative characteristics you ascribe to some unemployed....while claiming there is no stigmatizing.

    Is ones argument ever aware of itself?
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  6. #56
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,144

    Re: unemployment benefits running out for 1.3m americans saturday

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    Wow....you describe a set of negative characteristics you ascribe to some unemployed....while claiming there is no stigmatizing.

    Is ones argument ever aware of itself?
    Let me see if I can put this into very small, simple ideas for you.

    A: there is not a stigma against all of the unemployed
    B: there is a feeling that some of the unemployed aren't willing to take work that they wouldn't like, or feel is beneath them, because unemployment gives them an out from having to do so
    C: But that doesn't mean that that describes everyone on unemployment, or that it is believed that it does.

    Here, I'll copy paste the section you responded to and highlight the relevant portions.

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill
    I don't think there is a stigma against people who are unemployed per se, so much as there is the belief that significant numbers of the long-term unemployed are those who are waiting for the kind of job they want at the pay they want in their area to open up - the belief that unemployment benefits dull the willingness to take work that would be beneath the level or pay of the job lost. That speaks, as well to the nature of the people making that decision, but does not extend to everyone who has taken an unemployment check.
    If you have trouble connecting those highlighted sections to the simple ideas above, let me know. I have a few friends who are elementary and middle school teachers, and they may have some basic tricks to help you with reading comprehension.

  7. #57
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: unemployment benefits running out for 1.3m americans saturday

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    Let me see if I can put this into very small, simple ideas for you.

    A: there is not a stigma against all of the unemployed
    There you go again, adding in "all", the argument was not about "all" unemployed.....even YOU made that distinction in the post I quoted. Stop making absolute argument and moving YOUR goalpost.
    B: there is a feeling that some of the unemployed aren't willing to take work that they wouldn't like, or feel is beneath them, because unemployment gives them an out from having to do so
    Which is stigmatizing.....or perhaps your argument is clueless to the definition.
    C: But that doesn't mean that that describes everyone on unemployment, or that it is believed that it does.
    And there you are back to absolute argument again.....that did not exist in the first place.

    Here, I'll copy paste the section you responded to and highlight the relevant portions.
    If you have trouble connecting those highlighted sections to the simple ideas above, let me know. I have a few friends who are elementary and middle school teachers, and they may have some basic tricks to help you with reading comprehension.
    The irony! An ignoring of the definition and the creation of a false argument.

    Comprehension...indeed!
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  8. #58
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,144

    Re: unemployment benefits running out for 1.3m americans saturday

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    There you go again, adding in "all", the argument was not about "all" unemployed.....even YOU made that distinction in the post I quoted.
    Hey! Good for you! When reminded, you can go back and check!

    Stop making absolute argument and moving YOUR goalpost.
    Which is stigmatizing.....or perhaps your argument is clueless to the definition.
    And there you are back to absolute argument again.....that did not exist in the first place.

    The irony! An ignoring of the definition and the creation of a false argument.

    Comprehension...indeed!
    I specifically pointed out that we were not stigmatizing the unemployed. You then suggested that we were. Are you saying now that you deliberately mis-read in order to justified taking an offended pose?

  9. #59
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: unemployment benefits running out for 1.3m americans saturday

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    Hey! Good for you! When reminded, you can go back and check!
    You reminded me....that you did not originally say "all", making an absolute where one did not originally exist?

    FFS! Your argument IS NOT aware of itself!

    How sad!



    I specifically pointed out that we were not stigmatizing the unemployed.
    I know, and I pointed out that YOUR ARGUMENT DID in fact stigmatize the unemployed it was discussing. I still believe your argument is clueless to what "stigmatizing" means.


    You then suggested that we were.
    No, not "we".....your argument....singular.


    Are you saying now that you deliberately mis-read in order to justified taking an offended pose?
    LOL.....no, I am maintaining a consistent point.....your argument is unaware that it IS stigmatizing the unemployed under discussion.

    I am so sorry that your argument cannot comprehend this.
    Last edited by Gimmesometruth; 12-28-13 at 05:21 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  10. #60
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Behind the Orange Curtain
    Last Seen
    01-30-15 @ 01:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    15,633

    Re: unemployment benefits running out for 1.3m americans saturday

    I heard today on the news this guybeing interviewed who's been collecting unemployment benefits for almost two years and he was pissed off.

    I think his exact words were "I now have to go out and get a job !!!"

    The recession ended in July of 2009. It's been Obama's economy as soon as he got his stimulus to pay off the unions and his corporate donors who helped put him in office, cash for clunkers and the Feds have been propping up Obama's economy for almost five years now.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •