View Poll Results: Should food stamps only be redeemable for bulk staples and basic ingredients?

Voters
71. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    40 56.34%
  • No

    31 43.66%
Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 230

Thread: Should we restrict food stamps to bulk staples and basic ingredients?

  1. #71
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Should we restrict food stamps to bulk staples and basic ingredients?

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Okay, let's call it a "service". Why does the government need to dictate what people eat as a
    term of this "service"? Where do you draw the line once you start regulating people's personal lives when they require a service as essential as getting food?
    Because the people that provide a service get to make the terms of how it will be provided. If you don't want the government dictating your life then perhaps you shouldn't give them the power to do so. Maybe you guys should start listening to people like myself when we tell you it's a dumb idea.

  2. #72
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:30 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,417

    Re: Should we restrict food stamps to bulk staples and basic ingredients?

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Because the people that provide a service get to make the terms of how it will be provided. If you don't want the government dictating your life then perhaps you shouldn't give them the power to do so.
    Benevolent dictatorship. How noble.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  3. #73
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Should we restrict food stamps to bulk staples and basic ingredients?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Benevolent dictatorship. How noble.
    You wanted them to provide people money for food. You get what you wish for. Watch your wishes in the future.

  4. #74
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,126

    Re: Should we restrict food stamps to bulk staples and basic ingredients?

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Because the people that provide a service get to make the terms of how it will be provided.
    Eat what we want you to eat or starve. That sounds noble.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    The economy will improve under this bill. If a few people die, it will be for the betterament of this country.

  5. #75
    Guru
    scatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    02-09-17 @ 10:57 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,721

    Re: Should we restrict food stamps to bulk staples and basic ingredients?

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Eat what we want you to eat or starve. That sounds noble.
    After they take other's money.

    Starting in the middle is silly.

  6. #76
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Should we restrict food stamps to bulk staples and basic ingredients?

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Eat what we want you to eat or starve. That sounds noble.
    The system itself is not noble. There is also no logic in the argument that we can stop the government from controlling services it provides. They provide the service and thus control it. Get over it. I already told people like you to be careful, but you're all bunch of stubborn jackasses that won't listen to anyone.
    Last edited by Henrin; 12-29-13 at 02:46 AM.

  7. #77
    Baby Eating Monster
    Korimyr the Rat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Laramie, WY
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 02:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    18,709
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should we restrict food stamps to bulk staples and basic ingredients?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    One of the basic tenets of libertarianism is that government be as unobtrusive in people's lives as possible. Providing a service or assistance shouldn't change that. Unless, of course, libertarians are in reality no better then anyone else, and cherry pick what they want to adhere to and what they don't.
    To be fair, limiting what government assistance can be used to pay for isn't obtrusive-- I've got a card, like a credit card, and I can use it to buy the things the government wants to provide for me. Nobody tells me what I can or can't buy, but I can only use the government assistance card to buy the specific things the government wants to buy for me.

    This is a stupid idea and it won't help anything, but it's not like it's a violation of Libertarian political principles.

    edit: Now, if you want an example of an assistance program that does violate your civil rights... I also live in public housing. And part of living in public housing is waiving your right to keep and bear arms-- I'm not allowed to keep a firearm in my apartment. Far as I know, a private landlord wouldn't be able to enforce a provision like that in their lease, but I can be evicted from my home and possibly face criminal charges for exercising one of my most basic Constitutional rights while receiving public assistance.
    Last edited by Korimyr the Rat; 12-29-13 at 03:16 AM.

  8. #78
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where I am now
    Last Seen
    09-11-17 @ 03:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,386

    Re: Should we restrict food stamps to bulk staples and basic ingredients?

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Eat what we want you to eat or starve. That sounds noble.
    Sounds fine to me.

    You don't want to starve?

    Fine, we will give you enough nutritious food to live.

    You want to eat doughnuts and chocolate...get a job.

    You refuse to do both, then starve to death...your choice.

    I imagine about a billion people (at least) in the world would love all the free food they need for them and their families.

  9. #79
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,126

    Re: Should we restrict food stamps to bulk staples and basic ingredients?

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    The system itself is not noble. There is also no logic in the argument that we can stop the government from controlling services it provides. They provide the service and thus control it. Get over it. I already told people like you to be careful, but you're all bunch of stubborn jackasses that won't listen to anyone.
    FYI, referring to people as "jackasses" is against the rules of the forum. But I am not going to report you. You are fun to mess with.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    The economy will improve under this bill. If a few people die, it will be for the betterament of this country.

  10. #80
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,174

    Re: Should we restrict food stamps to bulk staples and basic ingredients?

    Quote Originally Posted by Neomalthusian View Post
    Wherever stores are, they carry what people demand. If people have no money and only an EBT card, and the EBT card can only redeem those types of things, then it behooves said store to carry what its customers demand. It would go out of business if it didn't. And another would set up shop in its place offering what people are needing and willing to buy or redeem. So we could easily predict that what stores stocked would change if people with EBT cards started showing up and saying "hey, where the **** are the oats and rice and flour?"
    No, they wouldn't. Convenience stores don't have that kind of room. Big grocery stores that do are generally not located in low income areas.

    You also need to realistically look at ingredients. Even a gallon of milk has multiple ingredients. A bag of noodles has many ingredients.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •