View Poll Results: Should food stamps only be redeemable for bulk staples and basic ingredients?

Voters
71. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    40 56.34%
  • No

    31 43.66%
Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 230

Thread: Should we restrict food stamps to bulk staples and basic ingredients?

  1. #61
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    37,136

    Re: Should we restrict food stamps to bulk staples and basic ingredients?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hamster Buddha View Post
    If government had the capability of being efficient, then I'd be all for it. But over and over it has shown to be the least efficient at anything. I mean, how much did the Obamacare website cost? 200 Million? 300 Million? More? You think any other company would pay that .... for a site? In the private sector, you'd have mass firing over that crap. For the government, it's just another day. Actually, you got the guys responsible for accountability for this stuff living it up in Las Vegas.
    so if i can point out multiple examples corporate waste, is that an indictment of capitalism? nope. i actually read an article today about how the government Vegas conference waste has been curbed this year.

    Federal conference spending is leaving Las Vegas

    good.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hamster Buddha View Post
    Again, it's about getting the most bang for your buck. It's one thing to rail against the private sector and talk about how it doesn't work, but look at the government's efforts. 47 million people are on food stamps. Half of this country doesn't pay any taxes, where as those who are successful, who are contributing to growing on the economy are being taxed.
    the private sector works, but the public sector fills in the cracks that people fall through. also, the majority of the wealth is in very few hands, so it stands to reason that they would pay more. i pay my taxes happily, knowing that i benefit from a stable society. there are places out there with minimal taxes and societal structure, and most of them are hellholes.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hamster Buddha View Post
    The road runs both ways Helix. People who live off the government aren't exactly starving in the street either. Most people that are on these assistance programs, live like royalty to what people in poverty live in other countries. We as a government need to focus on not providing a happy life for those less fortunate, but providing emergency assistance. This way it doesn't encourage them to say on it. Look at programs like Medicaid, that has become so laughably broke that doctors are denying them coverage. Ultimately, there are just some things this country can't afford while attempting to remain competitive with the world markets. Lest we end up in the situation of Europe where they are suffering from a debt crisis because they tried to do to much. We're already racking up a trillion a year in debt, how much more do you want to add?
    i want to optimize. we need to cut waste, like global police missions and the stupid drug war, and find new revenue streams. and once we've stopped globetrotting, it's time to fix the house.

  2. #62
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:23 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,438

    Re: Should we restrict food stamps to bulk staples and basic ingredients?

    Quote Originally Posted by Neomalthusian View Post
    The idea I proposed here would exclude any prepared/processed food, i.e. anything with multiple ingredients listed on the label, so that means Campbell's soup too. Sorry. The idea is not about picking and choosing what I subjectively consider "healthy." The idea is that the most efficient way of mitigating hunger is to provide the building blocks of a good diet to the people and allowing them to decide how they want to eat using those ingredients.

    And when you wrap your mind around that, you realize that it's not a severe restriction. It actually sets people free to create anything they want from their ingredients on hand. From the things that would be redeemable with SNAP cards, one could make thousands and thousands of different food items and dishes.
    My mind wraps around the health aspect just fine. I just see it as being unnecessarily controlling and petty.

    I did have to chuckle at the "...sets people free..." rhetoric. It was reminiscent of Soviet communist propaganda from the 1920s & 1930s... people being "set free" through work on collective farms, and so on.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  3. #63
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    37,136

    Re: Should we restrict food stamps to bulk staples and basic ingredients?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hamster Buddha View Post
    Obesity is a huge issue in this country. What's worse if you see that in those areas that are the poorest, are also the fattest? How does that even work anyways? I mean I thought poverty was about scratching for change for money to survive... instead everyone's having a big mac and laughing all the way.
    i simply don't care what the poor choose to eat with aid money. there are a lot of federal policies i'm more pissed off about than poor people eating a big mac.

  4. #64
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,136

    Re: Should we restrict food stamps to bulk staples and basic ingredients?

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    What are you talking about? It's a service by the state. They don't need to provide anything if they so desire. That isn't limiting personal liberty, just not granting them a service. Great understanding of liberty you have there for a libertarian.
    The government is not giving them a "service" it is assistance. It is right there in the name, "Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)" Assistance is giving them money which they can exchange for food. What you folks are arguing is that you want to dictate how they can use that assistance because they require the help. So yes, that is a restriction of personal liberty.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    The economy will improve under this bill. If a few people die, it will be for the betterament of this country.

  5. #65
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Should we restrict food stamps to bulk staples and basic ingredients?

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    The government is not giving them a "service" it is assistance. It is right there in the name, "Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)" Assistance is giving them money which they can exchange for food. What you folks are arguing is that you want to dictate how they can use that assistance because they require the help. So yes, that is a restriction of personal liberty.
    The assistance is the service. How is that even hard to grasp? Restricting a service that is being provided is not restricting liberty. Hell, if you want to call it "assistance" restricting it is still not restricting liberty.

  6. #66
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,136

    Re: Should we restrict food stamps to bulk staples and basic ingredients?

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    The assistance is the service. How is that even hard to grasp? Restricting a service that is being provided is not restricting liberty. Hell, if you want to call it "assistance" restricting it is still not restricting liberty.
    I don't call it "assistance" that is the literal name of it! And how is it a service? It is a benefit. You either qualify for it or you do not. But I like this idea. We can restrict any personal liberty we want by first arguing that we are providing a "service". The government should be able to house soldiers in your home because it provides the "service" of military protection. Police should be able to search you on a whim because they provide the "service" of protecting the community. The government should be able to censor what is posted on the web because they provide many of the essential "services" that allow the web to run. Good precedent.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    The economy will improve under this bill. If a few people die, it will be for the betterament of this country.

  7. #67
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:23 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,438

    Re: Should we restrict food stamps to bulk staples and basic ingredients?

    One of the basic tenets of libertarianism is that government be as unobtrusive in people's lives as possible. Providing a service or assistance shouldn't change that. Unless, of course, libertarians are in reality no better then anyone else, and cherry pick what they want to adhere to and what they don't.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  8. #68
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Should we restrict food stamps to bulk staples and basic ingredients?

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    I don't call it "assistance" that is the literal name of it! And how is it a service? It is a benefit. You either qualify for it or you do not. But I like this idea. We can restrict any personal liberty we want by first arguing that we are providing a "service". The government should be able to house soldiers in your home because it provides the "service" of military protection. Police should be able to search you on a whim because they provide the "service" of protecting the community. The government should be able to censor what is posted on the web because they provide many of the essential "services" that allow the web to run. Good precedent.
    Oh for godsakes, you just jumped from restricting a service called assistance to violating the property rights and bodies of people. What the hell, dude.

    Government assistance IS a service and it matters not if people must qualify for it. That is like saying that when you buy something at the store it's not a service because you had to have enough money.

  9. #69
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Should we restrict food stamps to bulk staples and basic ingredients?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    One of the basic tenets of libertarianism is that government be as unobtrusive in people's lives as possible. Providing a service or assistance shouldn't change that. Unless, of course, libertarians are in reality no better then anyone else, and cherry pick what they want to adhere to and what they don't.
    What does assistance have to do with protecting the rights of people? If nothing then the government has no business doing it.

  10. #70
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,136

    Re: Should we restrict food stamps to bulk staples and basic ingredients?

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Oh for godsakes, you just jumped from restricting a service called assistance to violating the property rights and bodies of people. What the hell, dude.

    Government assistance IS a service and it matters not if people must qualify for it. That is like saying that when you buy something at the store it's not a service because you had to have enough money.
    Okay, let's call it a "service". Why does the government need to dictate what people eat as a term of this "service"? Where do you draw the line once you start regulating people's personal lives when they require a service as essential as getting food?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    The economy will improve under this bill. If a few people die, it will be for the betterament of this country.

Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •