View Poll Results: Should food stamps only be redeemable for bulk staples and basic ingredients?

Voters
71. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    40 56.34%
  • No

    31 43.66%
Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 230

Thread: Should we restrict food stamps to bulk staples and basic ingredients?

  1. #21
    Baby Eating Monster
    Korimyr the Rat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Laramie, WY
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 02:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    18,709
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should we restrict food stamps to bulk staples and basic ingredients?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    I would be willing to pay even more taxes to allow them access to healthy ready made foods at places like Trader Joe's and Whole Foods. That would be great. No alcohol. No soft drinks. No cigarettes. No nothin' that ain't healthy.
    You can't buy alcohol or cigarettes with SNAP. The system doesn't allow it, and trading legal food for those items is illegal; it's benefits fraud, punishable not only by loss of benefits but jail time.

    You really don't have anything better to do, with your full-time jobs and families and real geopolitical and humanitarian problems, that you want to go to all that effort just to keep me from drinking a soda?

  2. #22
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:26 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,906

    Re: Should we restrict food stamps to bulk staples and basic ingredients?

    Quote Originally Posted by Korimyr the Rat View Post
    You can't buy alcohol or cigarettes with SNAP. The system doesn't allow it, and trading legal food for those items is illegal; it's benefits fraud, punishable not only by loss of benefits but jail time.

    You really don't have anything better to do, with your full-time jobs and families and real geopolitical and humanitarian problems, that you want to go to all that effort just to keep me from drinking a soda?
    I know that that is illegal. People spend their food stamps on food and all the rest of their money on alcohol. I have seen it. They buy crap food... twinkies, sugar cereal, etc. with food stamps and alcohol and cigarettes with the rest of their money that should go for the kids, etc. Not everybody... but enough that it pisses people off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  3. #23
    Guru
    scatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    02-09-17 @ 10:57 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,721

    Re: Should we restrict food stamps to bulk staples and basic ingredients?

    Having rules attached to government money is supported by democrats and republicans.

  4. #24
    Sage
    Kreton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Last Seen
    11-13-17 @ 08:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,118

    Re: Should we restrict food stamps to bulk staples and basic ingredients?

    Quote Originally Posted by Neomalthusian View Post
    The poll question is rather basic. Should we do this? Explain why or why not.

    For context, this is what currently is redeemable:
    • breads and cereals;
    • fruits and vegetables;
    • meats, fish and poultry;
    • dairy products;
    • Soft drinks, candy, cookies, snack crackers, and ice cream are food items and are therefore eligible items
    • Seafood, steak, and bakery cakes are also food items and are therefore eligible items

    Source: Eligible Food Items | Food and Nutrition Service

    A question you might think about that could affect your answer might be, "What is the real, core, basic purpose of food assistance programs?"

    If the answer is to prevent hunger/starvation in the U.S., then I would propose that all packaged processed foods (foods with multiple ingredients listed) be excluded. That sweeps a lot of confusion off the table right there. Eligible items could include single ingredient bulk staples like rice, beans, lentils, flour, pasta, basic spices, cooking oil, even sugar, and produce, eggs, and, what the hell, even some types of meat.

    That combination alone results in a panoply of food options, and minimal risk of starvation. It also mitigates starvation at the cheapest and maybe healthiest manner possible -- by putting control over the ingredients into the hands of the person receiving and preparing the food.

    So my vote in this poll is Yes. We should do this.

    Let's assume these folks would throw a conniption and vote No.



    What do you all say?
    Going that route would certainly be healthier, however, not cheaper. Generally speaking processed foods are far cheaper than fresh foods. To me then this argument is really about what is more important, health of welfare recipients or keeping taxes lower. Many people bitch about what recipients can use food stamps for but would you be ok doubling or more the taxes that go into this program to ensure they can only get fresh, healthy foods?
    “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.”
    Stephen R. Covey


  5. #25
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    37,090

    Re: Should we restrict food stamps to bulk staples and basic ingredients?

    sorry, not onboard with this latest outrage. i don't care if those who didn't benefit from trickle down buy captain crunch, and i also don't mind paying for it. ****, a bunch of my tax dollars have been diverted to fund all kinds of things i don't support. get over it, and have a happy new year.

  6. #26
    Guru
    Hamster Buddha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 06:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,675

    Re: Should we restrict food stamps to bulk staples and basic ingredients?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kreton View Post
    Going that route would certainly be healthier, however, not cheaper. Generally speaking processed foods are far cheaper than fresh foods. To me then this argument is really about what is more important, health of welfare recipients or keeping taxes lower. Many people bitch about what recipients can use food stamps for but would you be ok doubling or more the taxes that go into this program to ensure they can only get fresh, healthy foods?
    Not if you go generic route, which most of the above would be applying to. I'm personally for generics and limit them it to healthy stuff. At least this is one way that we can start tackling the overweight issue in the country. If you want irony: Mississippi, the poorest state in the country, is also the fattest.

    In fact, the five poorest states are also among the 10 fattest, and eight of the 10 poorest states are also among the 10 with the lowest life expectancy.
    Last edited by Hamster Buddha; 12-29-13 at 12:38 AM.

  7. #27
    Guru
    Hamster Buddha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 06:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,675

    Re: Should we restrict food stamps to bulk staples and basic ingredients?

    Quote Originally Posted by Helix View Post
    sorry, not onboard with this latest outrage. i don't care if those who didn't benefit from trickle down buy captain crunch, and i also don't mind paying for it. ****, a bunch of my tax dollars have been diverted to fund all kinds of things i don't support. get over it, and have a happy new year.
    So just give food to everyone? Let's take more from those who do work and are successful? How is this good policy? Honestly there should conditions attached to this stuff to encourage those to not stay on this. There are many states in this country where you can live off the government, at better terms than you can with a minimum wage job. That only creates a class of people who are dependent on the government. How is this healthy for our republic?

  8. #28
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    37,090

    Re: Should we restrict food stamps to bulk staples and basic ingredients?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hamster Buddha View Post
    So just give food to everyone? Let's take more from those who do work and are successful? How is this good policy?
    because you're a member of a society, and sometimes that means dealing with stuff you don't approve of. i do it every day.


    Quote Originally Posted by Hamster Buddha View Post
    Honestly there should conditions attached to this stuff to encourage those to not stay on this.
    nah, trickle down should actually work so that there are good jobs for the people currently on assistance. and when we figure out that it doesn't work as advertised, we should modify it slightly so that it works better.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hamster Buddha View Post
    There are many states in this country where you can live off the government, at better terms than you can with a minimum wage job. That only creates a class of people who are dependent on the government. How is this healthy for our republic?
    reread what you just wrote, and figure it out.

    there are a lot of machines i rage against. the evil, lazy poor is a myth i broke for myself when i was still a libertarian. can you do the same?

  9. #29
    Guru
    scatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    02-09-17 @ 10:57 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,721

    Re: Should we restrict food stamps to bulk staples and basic ingredients?

    Quote Originally Posted by Helix View Post
    nah, trickle down should actually work so that there are good jobs for the people currently on assistance. and when we figure out that it doesn't work as advertised, we should modify it slightly so that it works better.
    Trickle down is not an economic theory though, it is a made-up boogeyman.

  10. #30
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    8,180

    Re: Should we restrict food stamps to bulk staples and basic ingredients?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kreton View Post
    Going that route would certainly be healthier, however, not cheaper. Generally speaking processed foods are far cheaper than fresh foods.
    I'm talking primarily about raw ingredients. Rice per serving is much cheaper in bulk than a serving from a box of Rice a Roni®. Oats in bulk are much cheaper than Quaker Instant Oatmeal Cups®. And so on and so forth. Read the ingredients on the back of the cardboard boxes in your pantry, and you will note that getting those base ingredients in bulk will often save you money.

    To me then this argument is really about what is more important, health of welfare recipients or keeping taxes lower.
    To me, you're wrong about that.

    Many people bitch about what recipients can use food stamps for but would you be ok doubling or more the taxes that go into this program to ensure they can only get fresh, healthy foods?
    There is nothing to indicate my idea would double the cost of SNAP. SNAP spends $76 billion on food benefits and another $3-4 billion administering it. I really see no reason why either of those expenditures would increase if EBT cards could only redeem bulk staples and basic ingredients.

Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •