View Poll Results: Should food stamps only be redeemable for bulk staples and basic ingredients?

Voters
71. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    40 56.34%
  • No

    31 43.66%
Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13212223
Results 221 to 230 of 230

Thread: Should we restrict food stamps to bulk staples and basic ingredients?

  1. #221
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    8,634

    Re: Should we restrict food stamps to bulk staples and basic ingredients?

    Quote Originally Posted by shrubnose View Post
    Whatever.

    As I said, this thread will accomplish nothing except wasting a little time.
    Says the guy on an internet political forum to another guy on an internet political forum.

  2. #222
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    05-23-18 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    19,442
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should we restrict food stamps to bulk staples and basic ingredients?

    Quote Originally Posted by Neomalthusian View Post
    Says the guy on an internet political forum to another guy on an internet political forum.





    "The only valid censorship of ideas is the right of people not to listen." ~ Tommy Smothers





    "Republicans have been accused of abandoning the poor.It's the other way around.They never vote for us" ~ Dan Quayle
    Last edited by shrubnose; 01-03-14 at 01:08 PM.

  3. #223
    better late than pregnant
    Gonzo Rodeo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Here
    Last Seen
    06-04-18 @ 11:57 PM
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    4,161

    Re: Should we restrict food stamps to bulk staples and basic ingredients?

    Quote Originally Posted by d0gbreath View Post
    This is 'Merica dammit! I say plenty of bread crusts and watery gruel for all.

    God bless Tiny Tim.
    That's about on par with saying we currently give them feather beds and a Mercedes.
    "Political speech and writing are largely the defense of the indefensible. . . . Thus political language has to consist largely of euphemism, question-begging and sheer cloudy vagueness."
    ~Orwell, Politics and the English Language

  4. #224
    Sage

    Kreton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Over that way
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,568

    Re: Should we restrict food stamps to bulk staples and basic ingredients?

    Quote Originally Posted by Neomalthusian View Post
    Says the guy on an internet political forum to another guy on an internet political forum.
    Good point.
    I'm for truth, no matter who tells it. I'm for justice, no matter who it is for or against. I'm a human being, first and foremost, and as such I'm for whoever and whatever benefits humanity as a whole.


  5. #225
    Professor
    Cassandra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    05-22-18 @ 06:01 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,361

    Re: Should we restrict food stamps to bulk staples and basic ingredients?

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    You can make several large batches of food and eat from them throughout the week.

    FACT-the purpose of this food is to prevent starvation in the severely needy-for a temporary period.
    FACT-many of the poor suffer from obesity and other issues-and this is all on the taxpayers dime.
    FACT-Whole, clean foods are often the cheapest.
    Not really true. Healthy food is typically expensive. I am trying to think of what food is both healthy and cheap. Oatmeal. Um what else? Even things that used to be inexpensive are not anymore. My mother used to buy, beef liver and kidneys by the 5 lb package. Half were fed to our dogs and the rest was for me and my siblings. If you can find them at all, these items are not cheap any longer. Fish used to be inexpensive. Now the fish stocks are decimated.

    How about demanding that legislators stop subsidizing unwholesome agricultural products so that they are not a cheap alternative to healthy food. Use those savings to subsidize healthy eating programs.

  6. #226
    Sage
    SmokeAndMirrors's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    RVA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,282

    Re: Should we restrict food stamps to bulk staples and basic ingredients?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cassandra View Post
    Not really true. Healthy food is typically expensive. I am trying to think of what food is both healthy and cheap. Oatmeal. Um what else? Even things that used to be inexpensive are not anymore. My mother used to buy, beef liver and kidneys by the 5 lb package. Half were fed to our dogs and the rest was for me and my siblings. If you can find them at all, these items are not cheap any longer. Fish used to be inexpensive. Now the fish stocks are decimated.

    How about demanding that legislators stop subsidizing unwholesome agricultural products so that they are not a cheap alternative to healthy food. Use those savings to subsidize healthy eating programs.
    I don't know how you even wound up on a thread this ancient, but you just responded to a poster who was banned a year ago, on a three-year-old thread. I don't think he's going to read it. Also, necroing a thread that might as well be from the Victorian era in internet time is frowned upon.
    Last edited by SmokeAndMirrors; 01-24-17 at 03:37 AM.

  7. #227
    Anti-Hypocrite
    molten_dragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Southeast Michigan
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    9,516

    Re: Should we restrict food stamps to bulk staples and basic ingredients?

    Cut out junk food (i.e. bakery items, soda, candy, chips, cookies, etc.) and leave the rest alone.
    If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.

    If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

  8. #228
    unstable genius
    d0gbreath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Denton, TX
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    8,998

    Re: Should we restrict food stamps to bulk staples and basic ingredients?

    Just remove the whole program.

    Food for the revolution!
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Light View Post
    The systems that ensure freedom and liberty are breaking down and fundamentalism is growing. Nobody is righteous anymore.


  9. #229
    Professor
    Cassandra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    05-22-18 @ 06:01 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,361

    Re: Should we restrict food stamps to bulk staples and basic ingredients?

    Quote Originally Posted by SmokeAndMirrors View Post
    I don't know how you even wound up on a thread this ancient, but you just responded to a poster who was banned a year ago, on a three-year-old thread. I don't think he's going to read it. Also, necroing a thread that might as well be from the Victorian era in internet time is frowned upon.
    My bad. "Neomalthusian" mentioned this thread in a current thread. I did not notice how old it is.

  10. #230
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:40 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    67,598

    Re: Should we restrict food stamps to bulk staples and basic ingredients?

    No snack or bakery or soda type items. Those on snap should have to pass drug tests and basic health requirments to stay on the system too...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    I'm sexist and hypocritical, lol:

Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13212223

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •