View Poll Results: Should food stamps only be redeemable for bulk staples and basic ingredients?

Voters
71. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    40 56.34%
  • No

    31 43.66%
Page 18 of 23 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast
Results 171 to 180 of 230

Thread: Should we restrict food stamps to bulk staples and basic ingredients?

  1. #171
    King Conspiratard
    Dr. Chuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-14 @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    12,895

    Re: Should we restrict food stamps to bulk staples and basic ingredients?

    Quote Originally Posted by tacomancer View Post
    Giving someone beans does no good if they don't know what to do with the beans.
    Giving someone a can does them no good if they don't know what to do with it. Clearly we need to certify people in can opening as part of the snap program ...

    Your argument is makes no sense, mate and is nothing more than an attempt to make an issue needlessly complex by placing unreasonable demands on it

    Also, it does no good if they can only do a few things with the beans, quickly tiring of their options and trying to bypass the system.
    No one suggested people be limited to beans ....

    Remember human nature
    Yes, that many people will ignore basic logic and common sense to push a political agenda. Don't worry, with the quality of your arguments, it will be hard to forget

  2. #172
    King Conspiratard
    Dr. Chuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-14 @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    12,895

    Re: Should we restrict food stamps to bulk staples and basic ingredients?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    I think the level that you and others want to go is unnecessarily petty and vindictive, yes.
    Again, your personal judgements against the suggested changes are irrelevant. I layed out why they are beneficial. If you can't address these points, besides going "you're a weenie-headed meanie" then that isn't my problem

    But, beyond that, I don't trust that any government program that seeks to micromanage to the degree that you advocate will be efficient nor will it result in good government policy.
    Ok? So your argument essentially boils down to the govt can't efficiently manage govt programs. Well, given the absurdity of that argument, I'm sure you will forgive me if I feel no need to address it

    The more control sought will result in more regulation and bureaucracy.
    the entire point is more regulation ... If you don't want bureaucracy and regulation in your govt programs fight to get rid of them or simply don't participate. But other than that, it's kind of the nature of the beast

  3. #173
    King Conspiratard
    Dr. Chuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-14 @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    12,895

    Re: Should we restrict food stamps to bulk staples and basic ingredients?

    Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFromAll View Post
    Once you open that Pandoras box the next thing you know certain foods will be black listed for all Americans. Dictating dietary demands on the public for any American is a affront on liberty and freedom.
    there is absolutely no basis for such a slippery slop argument

  4. #174
    King Conspiratard
    Dr. Chuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-14 @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    12,895

    Re: Should we restrict food stamps to bulk staples and basic ingredients?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    so limiting your ability to purchase kool-aid with aid dollars is akin to making you eat gruel in a work house?


    LOL~!!!!

  5. #175
    Sage
    mak2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Indiana
    Last Seen
    07-08-16 @ 01:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,050

    Re: Should we restrict food stamps to bulk staples and basic ingredients?

    Did you say "slippery slop" intentionally?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    there is absolutely no basis for such a slippery slop argument
    God Bless the Marine Corps.

  6. #176
    King Conspiratard
    Dr. Chuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-14 @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    12,895

    Re: Should we restrict food stamps to bulk staples and basic ingredients?

    Quote Originally Posted by mak2 View Post
    Did you say "slippery slop" intentionally?
    no, but I wish I did

  7. #177
    Sage
    mak2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Indiana
    Last Seen
    07-08-16 @ 01:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,050

    Re: Should we restrict food stamps to bulk staples and basic ingredients?

    I was trying not to laugh, but that was pretty good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    no, but I wish I did
    God Bless the Marine Corps.

  8. #178
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:10 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,438

    Re: Should we restrict food stamps to bulk staples and basic ingredients?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    so limiting your ability to purchase kool-aid with aid dollars is akin to making you eat gruel in a work house?


    LOL~!!!!
    Mindset. Grasp the concept.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  9. #179
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    8,180

    Re: Should we restrict food stamps to bulk staples and basic ingredients?

    Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFromAll View Post
    Restricting SNAP to certain foods would do no real good. Culturally it would be a nightmare trying to determine what foods to ban from SNAP purchases.
    It's not about a list of banned items so much as a simple delineating between single-ingredient items and processed/packaged items.

    What it amounts to is people wanting to dictate to other people what they can and cannot eat.
    You can make virtually anything using ingredients listed in my proposal.

    If you want people to eat healthy give them the proper education then. Afte all its not hard to bake cookies using the basics.
    The likely health benefit is actually incidental. The point of a food assistance program is to mitigate any hunger or starvation risks. I think my proposal accomplishes it better than our current shopping spree model.

  10. #180
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Should we restrict food stamps to bulk staples and basic ingredients?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    Giving someone a can does them no good if they don't know what to do with it. Clearly we need to certify people in can opening as part of the snap program ...

    Your argument is makes no sense, mate and is nothing more than an attempt to make an issue needlessly complex by placing unreasonable demands on it



    No one suggested people be limited to beans ....



    Yes, that many people will ignore basic logic and common sense to push a political agenda. Don't worry, with the quality of your arguments, it will be hard to forget
    In the real world, different skills have different levels of expertise required to execute them. Opening a can and cooking require different levels of expertise. While I would trust a child to open a can, I would not trust them to cook without training, unless they were naturally talented in that area. The unfortunate reality is that a lot of people do not know how to cook even as adults. Sure you and I can probably cook a fine meal (you should have tasted my quiche last night, OMFG was it good).

    The point being that simple ideas can have complex requirements to function in the real world. Welfare and capitalism are both good ideas and are very complex to make work in the real world as well.

    I am not trying to limit the idea, in fact I am in favor of it, I believe that welfare should suck to motivate people to improve their lot. Making people cook their own meals is a good piece of that, however the reason a lot of people are on welfare in the first place is that they do not possess basic skills. If those skills are not acquired, they will not be able to improve their lot.

    Call it a political agenda if you want, I call it reasonable and basic common sense.

Page 18 of 23 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •