View Poll Results: Should food stamps only be redeemable for bulk staples and basic ingredients?

Voters
71. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    40 56.34%
  • No

    31 43.66%
Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 230

Thread: Should we restrict food stamps to bulk staples and basic ingredients?

  1. #111
    Guru
    scatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    02-09-17 @ 10:57 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,721

    Re: Should we restrict food stamps to bulk staples and basic ingredients?

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    This is such a funny issue because so many so called "Conservatives" and "Libertarians" who claim to believe in the inherent virtue of personal liberty would like to restrict it for those who require food stamps. In my state of Florida they wanted to drug test every welfare recipient and found out that virtually nobody on welfare was abusing drugs. It seems like an inherent animosity for the poor where all principle goes out the window.
    Forced taxation isn't personal liberty.

    Except they were using drugs. People actually took the drug test knowing they would fail, no telling how many heard of the policy and didn't want to embarrass themselves by failing.

  2. #112
    Guru
    Hamster Buddha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 06:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,675

    Re: Should we restrict food stamps to bulk staples and basic ingredients?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kreton View Post
    Its not about the quantity of food, it is the quality. Right now they food they can afford to get is the cheapest, unhealthiest food on the shelves. That food costs less. If you want to go in a direction where people on welfare can only eat natural, healthy foods it is going to cost more. You can feed a family far cheaper from a box than from the ground.
    You know, if you are just eating a cereal a day, a dollar tv dinner for lunch and maybe boxed thing for evening meal, I don't see you getting fat off of it. No matter how unhealthy it is. More often than now, health has more to do with quantity above all. After all, we need some sweets and fats in our diet. Where people get in trouble, is the amount they eat. I also know some people who do live off of food stamps, I've had to help a friend home because he had so many bags of groceries. It's probably bad of me, but when you are living off the government (i.e. living off of you and me) you shouldn't be comfortable or getting fat.

  3. #113
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,880
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should we restrict food stamps to bulk staples and basic ingredients?

    Quote Originally Posted by Neomalthusian View Post
    So my vote in this poll is Yes. We should do this.

    Let's assume these folks would throw a conniption and vote No.

    What do you all say?
    I really don't think you care what anyone that said "no" to your question reasons would be as it seems to me that you already consider anyone on foodstamps as being self serving.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  4. #114
    Sage
    Kreton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Last Seen
    11-13-17 @ 08:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,118

    Re: Should we restrict food stamps to bulk staples and basic ingredients?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hamster Buddha View Post
    You know, if you are just eating a cereal a day, a dollar tv dinner for lunch and maybe boxed thing for evening meal, I don't see you getting fat off of it. No matter how unhealthy it is. More often than now, health has more to do with quantity above all. After all, we need some sweets and fats in our diet. Where people get in trouble, is the amount they eat. I also know some people who do live off of food stamps, I've had to help a friend home because he had so many bags of groceries. It's probably bad of me, but when you are living off the government (i.e. living off of you and me) you shouldn't be comfortable or getting fat.
    So then that goes back to the same point I've already made. If your problem is that poor people are getting fat, and you want to limit them to only healthy foods, are you then going to be fine with the associated costs?
    “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.”
    Stephen R. Covey


  5. #115
    Guru
    Hamster Buddha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 06:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,675

    Re: Should we restrict food stamps to bulk staples and basic ingredients?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kreton View Post
    So then that goes back to the same point I've already made. If your problem is that poor people are getting fat, and you want to limit them to only healthy foods, are you then going to be fine with the associated costs?
    Can't we just give them less food stamps. Less food stamps = less food right? Are food stamps set at the national or state level?

  6. #116
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:31 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,435

    Re: Should we restrict food stamps to bulk staples and basic ingredients?

    To be honest, I call BS on people really truly caring about the health implications. Spare me the noble concerns.

    Based on the points-of-view on a variety of individuals in a cross-section of issues that I have read over time, I believe it is more a resentment that any of "their" money is being spent at all, and this is just a way to fantasize about getting some base level of retribution. A hoped for punishment.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  7. #117
    Guru
    scatt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    02-09-17 @ 10:57 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,721

    Re: Should we restrict food stamps to bulk staples and basic ingredients?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    A hoped for punishment.
    Taxation?

  8. #118
    King Conspiratard
    Dr. Chuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-14 @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    12,895

    Re: Should we restrict food stamps to bulk staples and basic ingredients?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kreton View Post
    So then that goes back to the same point I've already made. If your problem is that poor people are getting fat, and you want to limit them to only healthy foods, are you then going to be fine with the associated costs?
    I'm actually on a very limited budget and find that I can put together e a healthy diet by buying stuff like raw veggies and fruits, beans, and meat much cheaper than most commonly bought processed foods. Surely it would take lots of time to bake my own bread, my own noodles, etc, but that would be you guys simply adopting an absurd and extremist position to ignore what is commonly meant by "unhealthy processed foods"

  9. #119
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    8,180

    Re: Should we restrict food stamps to bulk staples and basic ingredients?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    I really don't think you care what anyone that said "no" to your question reasons would be as it seems to me that you already consider anyone on foodstamps as being self serving.
    It's not really a matter of what I think of the people on food stamps. There are so many that they probably run the spectrum. This isn't about judging beneficiaries. It's about the core underlying mission of the SNAP program and the most intelligent way to run the program that results in the greatest welfare gains for its beneficiaries.

  10. #120
    Sage
    Kreton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Last Seen
    11-13-17 @ 08:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,118

    Re: Should we restrict food stamps to bulk staples and basic ingredients?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    I'm actually on a very limited budget and find that I can put together e a healthy diet by buying stuff like raw veggies and fruits, beans, and meat much cheaper than most commonly bought processed foods. Surely it would take lots of time to bake my own bread, my own noodles, etc, but that would be you guys simply adopting an absurd and extremist position to ignore what is commonly meant by "unhealthy processed foods"
    You may be able to point to an item here or there that is cheaper fresh, but overall you pay for fresh. It costs more. You go and make a list of the items to make 5 full meals using fresh vegetables and meats, nothing processed and compare it to 5 meals of boxed and processed crap. That is a reality.
    “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.”
    Stephen R. Covey


Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •