View Poll Results: Equal rights/Same Sex Marriage how long until its a national reality?

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0-5 years

    18 39.13%
  • 5-10 years

    13 28.26%
  • 10-15 years

    7 15.22%
  • 15-20 years

    1 2.17%
  • 20-25 years

    1 2.17%
  • 25+ years

    2 4.35%
  • NEVER

    4 8.70%
Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 207

Thread: Equal rights/Same Sex Marriage how long until its a national reality?[W:178]

  1. #101
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,038

    Re: Equal rights/Same Sex Marriage how long until its a national reality?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dooble View Post
    It's part of the bigger argument.
    How has it been used? Specifically?

  2. #102
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Equal rights/Same Sex Marriage how long until its a national reality?

    Quote Originally Posted by tacomancer View Post
    Who cares why someone is gay. The simple fact is that they are human and deserve basic human rights such as being able to marry the person they love.
    That's not a basic human right, nor are there any such thing. It's not even a constitutional right.

  3. #103
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    07-08-14 @ 06:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,325

    Re: Equal rights/Same Sex Marriage how long until its a national reality?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    How has it been used? Specifically?
    Loving v Virginia; the insistence that all gays are born gay. You know, all the stuff your side has been clamoring about for decades, that you are conveniently ignoring right now.

  4. #104
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Equal rights/Same Sex Marriage how long until its a national reality?

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    That's not a basic human right, nor are there any such thing. It's not even a constitutional right.
    Hen let's let nobody get married and are what happens. People will fight to preserve that right.

  5. #105
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Anagram's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    St. Louis MO
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    6,193

    Re: Equal rights/Same Sex Marriage how long until its a national reality?

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    Expand on that please. Are we back to Flip Wilson now (the devil made me do it!)?
    Generally, things like what interests you, your taste in music, and what you find to be fun for instance are not genetically determined yet aren't choices. For example, I can't choose to enjoy Katy Perry's singing. Although there is an interesting study out there that does show that up to almost half of taste in music in some people is genetic.

    This is shown by the thousands of men and women who are attracted to the same sex and desperately try not to be. People would never choose to be gay in Iran or Sudan where people are killed for it, yet they exist there anyway. Whether genetic, environmental, or a mix of both it seems fairly obvious it wasn't a choice for them who they were attracted to.

    Now I will say that this doesn't prove that it is never a choice, but that at least for some people its not.
    There should be Instant Runoff Voting

  6. #106
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,793

    Re: Equal rights/Same Sex Marriage how long until its a national reality?

    Quote Originally Posted by tacomancer View Post
    Hen let's let nobody get married and are what happens. People will fight to preserve that right.
    It's not a Constitutional right but it has been defined by society as a social right so you're both right to some degree. After all, all rights really just come from the people.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  7. #107
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Equal rights/Same Sex Marriage how long until its a national reality?

    Quote Originally Posted by tacomancer View Post
    Hen let's let nobody get married and are what happens. People will fight to preserve that right.
    Heh, it's not a right. Polluting the meaning of "rights" isn't helping anyone long term.

  8. #108
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Equal rights/Same Sex Marriage how long until its a national reality?

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    Heh, it's not a right. Polluting the meaning of "rights" isn't helping anyone long term.
    There is no definite meaning for the term.

    My view of rights is that they are socially defined.

  9. #109
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Equal rights/Same Sex Marriage how long until its a national reality?

    Quote Originally Posted by Anagram View Post
    Generally, things like what interests you, your taste in music, and what you find to be fun for instance are not genetically determined yet aren't choices. For example, I can't choose to enjoy Katy Perry's singing. Although there is an interesting study out there that does show that up to almost half of taste in music in some people is genetic.
    That last disproves your attempt in the first part. What you're looking for is the effect of environment. Yes, both environment and genetics have influence upon our choices. They are still our choices.

    Quote Originally Posted by Anagram View Post
    This is shown by the thousands of men and women who are attracted to the same sex and desperately try not to be. People would never choose to be gay in Iran or Sudan where people are killed for it, yet they exist there anyway. Whether genetic, environmental, or a mix of both it seems fairly obvious it wasn't a choice for them who they were attracted to.

    Now I will say that this doesn't prove that it is never a choice, but that at least for some people its not.
    Once again here you are talking about attraction. The issue was behavior, not attraction. In fact you prove my point. These people mentioned are attracted to the same sex but choose not to act on it (albeit because of some pretty terrible consequences).

  10. #110
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    07-08-14 @ 06:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,325

    Re: Equal rights/Same Sex Marriage how long until its a national reality?

    Quote Originally Posted by tacomancer View Post
    Hen let's let nobody get married and are what happens. People will fight to preserve that right.
    Stop thinking like a selfish liberal: "If I can't have this, NO ONE CAN!!" No, it's better to just leave things the way they have been for the past two plus centuries.

Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •