View Poll Results: What do you think of the Russian Constitution?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • Good

    3 37.50%
  • Bad

    5 62.50%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 18 of 18

Thread: What do you think of the Russian Constitution?

  1. #11
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Britain, Mother of Civilisation
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    468

    Re: What do you think of the Russian Constitution?

    Quote Originally Posted by EdwinWillers View Post
    Oh stuff it and be content I like single malts.

    What do YOU think of the Russian constitution?
    Haha, you'll get a pass on this one, then. Laphroaig 15 Year Old is my favourite, by a mile, though a lot of people say it's too peaty. I say it can never be smoky enough. Just don't try to hide that you've been drinking it; they'll smell it on your breath for days.

    I think the Russian constitution's relatively well thought-out, but as with any legal document, it only holds water if people in power obey it.

    Mr Putin, as intelligent and cunning a guy as he is, does not always think the Russian Constitution is inviolable. And therein lies the problem (or maybe the solution, if you like what Putin's doing).

  2. #12
    Be different, be honest
    EdwinWillers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Divided States of Kardashia
    Last Seen
    12-25-15 @ 04:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,361

    Re: What do you think of the Russian Constitution?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ad_Captandum View Post
    Haha, you'll get a pass on this one, then. Laphroaig 15 Year Old is my favourite, by a mile, though a lot of people say it's too peaty. I say it can never be smoky enough. Just don't try to hide that you've been drinking it; they'll smell it on your breath for days.
    Oh, oh.... don't get me started. I am an AVID fan of the Islay malts, Lagavullin being my all-time favorite. I do like Laphroaig too. Talisker is good, but very peppery. The Bowmores are probably my day-to-day brands - somewhat middle of the road between Laphroaig and Lagavullin. I love the earthy, peaty, smoky flavor and after-taste from the Islay malts - and served in a brandy snifter with a drop or two of water, the aroma takes you straight to a warm campfire in the woods. If I ever get to Britain again, I'm heading straight to Scotland.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ad_Captandum View Post
    I think the Russian constitution's relatively well thought-out, but as with any legal document, it only holds water if people in power obey it.

    Mr Putin, as intelligent and cunning a guy as he is, does not always think the Russian Constitution is inviolable. And therein lies the problem (or maybe the solution, if you like what Putin's doing).
    I meant no disrespect to the Russian constitution; it's just not something that interests me at this time - we've enough going on debate-wise about our own (unfortunately) so I've allocated all such interests there, important as I think it is to defend and uphold ours.

    Merry Christmas btw to you and yours!
    Who chimes "No Absolutes!" chimes absolutely.

    zoom zoom

  3. #13
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Britain, Mother of Civilisation
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    468

    Re: What do you think of the Russian Constitution?

    Quote Originally Posted by EdwinWillers View Post
    Oh, oh.... don't get me started. I am an AVID fan of the Islay malts, Lagavullin being my all-time favorite. I do like Laphroaig too. Talisker is good, but very peppery. The Bowmores are probably my day-to-day brands - somewhat middle of the road between Laphroaig and Lagavullin. I love the earthy, peaty, smoky flavor and after-taste from the Islay malts - and served in a brandy snifter with a drop or two of water, the aroma takes you straight to a warm campfire in the woods. If I ever get to Britain again, I'm heading straight to Scotland.

    I meant no disrespect to the Russian constitution; it's just not something that interests me at this time - we've enough going on debate-wise about our own (unfortunately) so I've allocated all such interests there, important as I think it is to defend and uphold ours.

    Merry Christmas btw to you and yours!
    Merry Christmas to you as well -- and I salute your excellent taste in whisky. Lagavulin is always a real treat, and I recently brought (smuggled?) a couple of bottles of Talisker to some friends in the States. If you ever do make it back to Scotland, I'd recommend the Bowmore distillery tour, which I've had the pleasure of going on, and which I found phenomenal.


    Back to the reason for this site, I'm interested to know what you've devoted your time to thinking about in the US constitution. Do you have a problem with the document itself, and think it needs to be amended somehow, or do you think the interpretation of the document by, say, the current administration is the reason for your concern?

  4. #14
    Be different, be honest
    EdwinWillers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Divided States of Kardashia
    Last Seen
    12-25-15 @ 04:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,361

    Re: What do you think of the Russian Constitution?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ad_Captandum View Post
    Merry Christmas to you as well -- and I salute your excellent taste in whisky. Lagavulin is always a real treat, and I recently brought (smuggled?) a couple of bottles of Talisker to some friends in the States. If you ever do make it back to Scotland, I'd recommend the Bowmore distillery tour, which I've had the pleasure of going on, and which I found phenomenal.
    Then Bowmore it is! But I'll have to hit Lagavullin too - sort of a moral imperative.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ad_Captandum View Post
    Back to the reason for this site, I'm interested to know what you've devoted your time to thinking about in the US constitution. Do you have a problem with the document itself, and think it needs to be amended somehow, or do you think the interpretation of the document by, say, the current administration is the reason for your concern?
    Well I don't want to derail this thread, but most definitely the latter. We've a growing number of people in this country - many of whom have been indoctrinated by the left in our school systems - who do not believe in principles, but in what's expedient. Our current president and many members of his administration and in his party are classic examples - inveterate liars who think nothing about lying, who see no moral wrong in prevarication if it achieves their ends. Our constitution is a document based on principles, some of the finest and wisest (imho) principles ever laid down in a single document. But there are many who think them outmoded, outdated... who find them too restrictive and in many cases, just plain contrary to their vision of what power promises them. It's a battle for the very soul of our nation and I fear losing the battle, for if we do, we've lost the nation in the process.
    Who chimes "No Absolutes!" chimes absolutely.

    zoom zoom

  5. #15
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Britain, Mother of Civilisation
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    468

    Re: What do you think of the Russian Constitution?

    Quote Originally Posted by EdwinWillers View Post
    Then Bowmore it is! But I'll have to hit Lagavullin too - sort of a moral imperative.

    Well I don't want to derail this thread, but most definitely the latter. We've a growing number of people in this country - many of whom have been indoctrinated by the left in our school systems - who do not believe in principles, but in what's expedient. Our current president and many members of his administration and in his party are classic examples - inveterate liars who think nothing about lying, who see no moral wrong in prevarication if it achieves their ends. Our constitution is a document based on principles, some of the finest and wisest (imho) principles ever laid down in a single document. But there are many who think them outmoded, outdated... who find them too restrictive and in many cases, just plain contrary to their vision of what power promises them. It's a battle for the very soul of our nation and I fear losing the battle, for if we do, we've lost the nation in the process.
    Surely you could agree that, as fine a document as the US Constitution is and was, there may be aspects of it that do require revision, or indeed some that actually ARE just outdated entirely?

    That's the point of the Amendment system, as I understand it -- if you're going to go in for a constitution, instead of Parliamentary supremacy like we've got, you have to make sure the constitution doesn't limit itself from growing to fit the times.

    To keep this very slightly on topic, be it the Russian constitution or the American one, writers of a document that's going to define the basic law and principle of a country must be somewhat malleable, no?

    And is it potentially possible that those seeking to change the US constitution believe some of its stipulations are outdated?

  6. #16
    Be different, be honest
    EdwinWillers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Divided States of Kardashia
    Last Seen
    12-25-15 @ 04:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,361

    Re: What do you think of the Russian Constitution?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ad_Captandum View Post
    Surely you could agree that, as fine a document as the US Constitution is and was, there may be aspects of it that do require revision, or indeed some that actually ARE just outdated entirely?

    That's the point of the Amendment system, as I understand it -- if you're going to go in for a constitution, instead of Parliamentary supremacy like we've got, you have to make sure the constitution doesn't limit itself from growing to fit the times.
    Certainly. And our constitution has been amended a number of times already. Nothing's perfect.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ad_Captandum View Post
    To keep this very slightly on topic, be it the Russian constitution or the American one, writers of a document that's going to define the basic law and principle of a country must be somewhat malleable, no?

    And is it potentially possible that those seeking to change the US constitution believe some of its stipulations are outdated?
    Well it depends on what needs to be malleable or subject to "changing with the times." Principles are principles and are not therefore imho "malleable;" but the particulars certainly can be.

    One of the key principles in our constitution is the separation of powers into three separate branches of government. Without getting into the why this is a key principle, should some group, like those seeking to change our Constitution today who feel the separation of powers is outdated - and they certainly do believe it is, that an imperial monarchy is more fitting to "the times," then we have an issue. Our president for example is behaving precisely in accord with his belief that an imperial monarchy, or in more vulgar terms, a dictatorship is the appropriate form of government to achieve his, or his party's ends.

    Now to posit an example of how particulars might change while retaining the principles underpinning them intact - consider the U.S. Postal Service - one of the enumerated powers conferred on Congress in Article 1, section 8 of the constitution. In this age of electronic mail, one might make an argument that we no longer need the U.S. Postal Service, that it be dissolved and left to the realm of private firms like UPS or FedEx.

    So two examples, one involving the principles on which this nation was founded and the other one involving a particular that doesn't alter the underlying principle.
    Who chimes "No Absolutes!" chimes absolutely.

    zoom zoom

  7. #17
    Guru
    Morality Games's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Iowa
    Last Seen
    05-24-16 @ 10:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,733

    Re: What do you think of the Russian Constitution?

    Quote Originally Posted by marcus903 View Post
    What do you think of the Russian Constitution?

    The Constitution of the Russian Federation

    Just curious

    link to Constitution
    I think that Constitutions don't matter when the bones of society are weak. The ideals of the Constitution are good (as were those of the Soviet Union), but they have little to do with the lives and interactions of most people and organizations in Russia.
    Last edited by Morality Games; 12-26-13 at 02:57 PM.
    If you notice something good in yourself, give credit to God, not to yourself, but be certain the evil you commit is always your own and yours to acknowledge.

    St. Benedict

  8. #18
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:43 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,788

    Re: What do you think of the Russian Constitution?

    Will it stop the government from infringing on the Russian people?

    If not then it is meaningless...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •