View Poll Results: Select what represents your view?

Voters
138. You may not vote on this poll
  • I don't agree with Phil's comments and he had no right saying it.

    5 3.62%
  • I don't agree with Phil's comment's but defend his right to say it.

    54 39.13%
  • I agree with Phil's comments and defend his right to say it.

    41 29.71%
  • A&E had no right to suspend Phil.

    3 2.17%
  • A&E has a right to suspend Phil but I don't agree with it.

    51 36.96%
  • A&E has a right to suspend Phil and I agree with it.

    32 23.19%
  • It's a question of "freedom of speech" and very important.

    22 15.94%
  • Phil's beard is too weird, which makes him a slave to fame.

    12 8.70%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 23 of 28 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast
Results 221 to 230 of 274

Thread: Duck Dynasty

  1. #221
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,573

    Re: Duck Dynasty

    Quote Originally Posted by vasuderatorrent View Post
    Maybe I grew up deep in the Bible Belt. I see nothing shocking about Phil's position. I also see nothing shocking about an organization firing somebody.
    Nobody was fired. Phil was rumored to to have been "suspended" (for an indefinite time) and that set off media fireworks getting massive free publicity for the A&E Duck Dynasty Christmas marathon. A brilliant, huge, free advertising campaign for the benefit of A&E and the DD folks. They played GLAAD and the MSM beautifully.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  2. #222
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    (none)
    Last Seen
    04-04-15 @ 09:11 PM
    Lean
    Communist
    Posts
    6,112
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Duck Dynasty

    Quote Originally Posted by grip View Post
    Would you say that you're not "shocked" easily or that you can't "see" because of misplaced eyeglasses? Because I find your whole statement shocking....
    'Duck Dynasty' star on hiatus for anti-gay comments

    Quote Originally Posted by USA Today article
    "Start with homosexual behavior and just morph out from there. Bestiality, sleeping around with this woman and that woman and that woman and those men," he says. Then he paraphrases Corinthians: "Don't be deceived. Neither the adulterers, the idolaters, the male prostitutes, the homosexual offenders, the greedy, the drunkards, the slanderers, the swindlers — they won't inherit the kingdom of God. Don't deceive yourself. It's not right."

    He goes on to say, "It seems like, to me," a woman "would be more desirable ...*That's just me. I'm just thinking: There's more there! She's got more to offer. I mean, come on, dudes! You know what I'm saying? But hey, sin: It's not logical, my man. It's just not logical."

    "I myself am a product of the 60s; I centered my life around sex, drugs and rock and roll until I hit rock bottom and accepted Jesus as my Savior. My mission today is to go forth and tell people about why I follow Christ and also what the bible teaches, and part of that teaching is that women and men are meant to be together.
    * “It seems like, to me, a vagina – as a man – would be more desirable than a man’s anus.”

    Which part is shocking? or were there other comments that aren't in this article? The Bible is believed to be 100% true word of God by a lot of people in the United States. Over 99% of the male population prefers a female's vagina to a male anus. I don't get it. How is this so shocking? Please point it out to me. Have you never met a fundamental Christian? If not, you must live in Oregon or something.
    Last edited by vasuderatorrent; 12-25-13 at 03:34 PM.

  3. #223
    Light△Bender

    grip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ☚ ☛
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,224
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Duck Dynasty

    Quote Originally Posted by vasuderatorrent View Post
    'Duck Dynasty' star on hiatus for anti-gay comments



    * “It seems like, to me, a vagina – as a man – would be more desirable than a man’s anus.”

    Which part is shocking? or were there other comments that aren't in this article? The Bible is believed to be 100% true word of God by a lot of people in the United States. Over 99% of the male population prefers a female's vagina to a male anus. I don't get it. How is this so shocking? Please point it out to me. Have you never met a fundamental Christian? If not, you must live in Oregon or something.

    I hope some waiting rooms, office magazines don't include the Jan issue of GQ. It's inappropriate and *shocking* subject material for certain ages.
    Einstein, "science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

  4. #224
    The Dude
    Kobie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Western NY
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:24 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    42,886

    Re: Duck Dynasty

    Quote Originally Posted by vasuderatorrent View Post
    'Duck Dynasty' star on hiatus for anti-gay comments



    * “It seems like, to me, a vagina – as a man – would be more desirable than a man’s anus.”

    Which part is shocking? or were there other comments that aren't in this article? The Bible is believed to be 100% true word of God by a lot of people in the United States. Over 99% of the male population prefers a female's vagina to a male anus. I don't get it. How is this so shocking? Please point it out to me. Have you never met a fundamental Christian? If not, you must live in Oregon or something.
    It's a ludicrous, dismissive misrepresentation of what homosexuality is. The implication is that sexual orientation is simply a matter of holes. Which is blisteringly ignorant.
    Freedom of speech is not freedom from criticism.

  5. #225
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,968

    Re: Duck Dynasty

    Quote Originally Posted by Dezaad View Post
    And there you are, justifying supposed bigotry on the part of the people who would be offended at the racism I gave as an example, and yet denying that justification to me when I am offended at the homophobia shown by our modern day folks. Why is that?
    Look at you, again having issues with the definition of words you're using.

    I've made no suggesting what so ever that the bigotry of EITHER group is "right or reasonable". There was no "justification" in any way, shape, or form of your bigotry or other peoples bigotry. Both are bigotry. I suggested that ultimately each individual person acting like a bigot, and each individual that see's the bigotry, ultimately makes a personal decision whether or not they feel the bigotry is justified based on their own personal moral codes. But those individual justifications doesn't change the fact that both ARE bigotry.

    You JUSTIFY your bigotry, which is your right.

    People who claim homosexuality is a sin ALSO attempt to justify THEIR bigotry, which is their right.

    Ultimately, each person viewing those acts of bigotry and hearing those justifications make their own personal choice whether or not the bigotry is indeed justified in their mind. But it doesn't change the fact that it IS bigotry.

    Your bigotry may be "justified" bigotry, or "acceptable" bigotry, or "reasonable" bigotry, or "necessary" bigotry...but it's bigotry none the less.

    Which was my point. You were trying to claim that bigotry, no matter it's form, is ALWAYS a bad thing. I was pointing out that your style of argument conflicts with your actual words, because you're demonstrating bigotry at the same time as you claim that it's always a bad thing.

  6. #226
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,851
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Duck Dynasty

    Quote Originally Posted by grip View Post
    What do you think Phil Robertson should have done different, if anything?



    He could have given playing professional football a try.

  7. #227
    Sage
    Dezaad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Last Seen
    06-28-15 @ 10:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    5,058
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Duck Dynasty

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Look at you, again having issues with the definition of words you're using.

    I've made no suggesting what so ever that the bigotry of EITHER group is "right or reasonable". There was no "justification" in any way, shape, or form of your bigotry or other peoples bigotry. Both are bigotry. I suggested that ultimately each individual person acting like a bigot, and each individual that see's the bigotry, ultimately makes a personal decision whether or not they feel the bigotry is justified based on their own personal moral codes. But those individual justifications doesn't change the fact that both ARE bigotry.

    You JUSTIFY your bigotry, which is your right.

    People who claim homosexuality is a sin ALSO attempt to justify THEIR bigotry, which is their right.

    Ultimately, each person viewing those acts of bigotry and hearing those justifications make their own personal choice whether or not the bigotry is indeed justified in their mind. But it doesn't change the fact that it IS bigotry.

    Your bigotry may be "justified" bigotry, or "acceptable" bigotry, or "reasonable" bigotry, or "necessary" bigotry...but it's bigotry none the less.

    Which was my point. You were trying to claim that bigotry, no matter it's form, is ALWAYS a bad thing. I was pointing out that your style of argument conflicts with your actual words, because you're demonstrating bigotry at the same time as you claim that it's always a bad thing.
    You are getting awfully excited about our difference of opinion. Is your bigotry toward my bigotry toward Phil a justifiable bigotry or not?
    You can never be safe from a government that can keep you completely safe from each other and the world. You must choose.

  8. #228
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Britain, Mother of Civilisation
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    468

    Re: Duck Dynasty

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Stereotype much?

    Oh, we're not close-minded, are we? Not one bit. Never mind the fact that he was a top class athlete in college. Yes, college, not a one-room grade school. Never mind that he has patents to his name. Never mind that he has been a successful businessman apart from the television show. No, because he says things we don't like, and grooms himself in a manner we do not approve, he's an "uneducated idiot".

    Spare me.
    Come now, that's a bit unfair. The point of my post is that his entire character is based around being what everyone can agree is a laughable stereotype for a backwoods, uneducated hick. You really can not debate that the appeal of the show is watching people who embody that stereotype do stupid ****.

    He may, in actuality, be an intelligent, well-educated and polite guy, but the character he portrays is certainly an uneducated idiot. How close those two persons are related, I couldn't say.

    Anyway, whether he is or he isn't an idiot, I'll stand by the statement that believing homosexuality is a sin is idiotic. We can get into a theological debate, but you'll know if you've read the Bible, it's about as much of a sin as mixing your linens and your cottons, which is also an Abomination, capital A.

    I'm not repentant at all that I think people who believe backwards, dogmatic religious doctrines are idiotic.

  9. #229
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:46 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,407

    Re: Duck Dynasty

    Quote Originally Posted by Ad_Captandum View Post
    Come now, that's a bit unfair. The point of my post is that his entire character is based around being what everyone can agree is a laughable stereotype for a backwoods, uneducated hick. You really can not debate that the appeal of the show is watching people who embody that stereotype do stupid ****.

    He may, in actuality, be an intelligent, well-educated and polite guy, but the character he portrays is certainly an uneducated idiot. How close those two persons are related, I couldn't say.

    Anyway, whether he is or he isn't an idiot, I'll stand by the statement that believing homosexuality is a sin is idiotic. We can get into a theological debate, but you'll know if you've read the Bible, it's about as much of a sin as mixing your linens and your cottons, which is also an Abomination, capital A.

    I'm not repentant at all that I think people who believe backwards, dogmatic religious doctrines are idiotic.
    He does embody the stereotype to a point. He is also a perfect example of why stereotypes can be very dangerous and misleading, and why stereotypes should be employed with caution. He only fits the stereotype on the surface, for those who don't know him any better. Dig deeper than merely scratch the surface and he's a quite intelligent, thoughtful, and complex man.

    My objection to your post was in you relying too much on the blind stereotype, not any specific individual flaws he may or may not have. Having watched much of the show, my own personal opinion is that he is all I have mentioned... intelligent, thoughtful, etc... but he also something of a hard-ass prick. I think he is interesting from afar, in an intellectual observational sense, but I don't think I would like him in person.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  10. #230
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Colorado mountains
    Last Seen
    01-03-15 @ 08:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,729

    Re: Duck Dynasty

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    He does embody the stereotype to a point. He is also a perfect example of why stereotypes can be very dangerous and misleading, and why stereotypes should be employed with caution. He only fits the stereotype on the surface, for those who don't know him any better. Dig deeper than merely scratch the surface and he's a quite intelligent, thoughtful, and complex man.

    My objection to your post was in you relying too much on the blind stereotype, not any specific individual flaws he may or may not have. Having watched much of the show, my own personal opinion is that he is all I have mentioned... intelligent, thoughtful, etc... but he also something of a hard-ass prick. I think he is interesting from afar, in an intellectual observational sense, but I don't think I would like him in person.
    "A hard assed prick"? Most people would call that an asshole and that is precisely why A&E wants to get rid of him. He detracts from the broader appeal of the show and creates unnecessary controversy.
    I believe that A&E have been planning on getting rid of the asshole for quite a while and that they used the G.Q. interview as the excuse more than the reason.
    The brothers and uncle Si are generally pleasant people with and entertaining dry sense of humor. They tend to kid each other in a familiar loving way.
    The asshole Phil however is a mean spirited antagonistic jerk who belittles and berates everyone he encounters within the story-line including his grand-kids, his brother, his sons and his wife.
    The show will improve without him.

Page 23 of 28 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •