View Poll Results: Select what represents your view?

Voters
138. You may not vote on this poll
  • I don't agree with Phil's comments and he had no right saying it.

    5 3.62%
  • I don't agree with Phil's comment's but defend his right to say it.

    54 39.13%
  • I agree with Phil's comments and defend his right to say it.

    41 29.71%
  • A&E had no right to suspend Phil.

    3 2.17%
  • A&E has a right to suspend Phil but I don't agree with it.

    51 36.96%
  • A&E has a right to suspend Phil and I agree with it.

    32 23.19%
  • It's a question of "freedom of speech" and very important.

    22 15.94%
  • Phil's beard is too weird, which makes him a slave to fame.

    12 8.70%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 19 of 28 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 190 of 274

Thread: Duck Dynasty

  1. #181
    Baby Eating Monster
    Korimyr the Rat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Laramie, WY
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 02:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    18,709
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Duck Dynasty

    I disagree very strongly with what he said, but I'll fight to the death for his right to say it.

    That said, he doesn't have a right to stand on someone else's soapbox to say it, A&E has every right to fire him for what he said, and I support their decision to do so.

  2. #182
    Sage
    Dezaad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Last Seen
    06-28-15 @ 10:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    5,058
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Duck Dynasty

    Quote Originally Posted by grip View Post
    I can get on board with the idea of using a lack of approval to humiliate someone acting stupid. It's the "forcing" people to behave properly beyond what the law calls for that disturbs me.
    I really don't know how you define "forcing", but whatever.
    You can never be safe from a government that can keep you completely safe from each other and the world. You must choose.

  3. #183
    Light△Bender

    grip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ☚ ☛
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,224
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Duck Dynasty

    Quote Originally Posted by Dezaad View Post
    I really don't know how you define "forcing", but whatever.

    You're the one that said "forcing". See below....



    Quote Originally Posted by Dezaad View Post
    Trying to force others to accept the correct view is never easy, but it is to right thing to do. There are still people who think Blacks are an inferior race, and they believe this due to their religious doctrine BTW, and we don't make social allowances for them. Bigotry is what it is, and it should never be socially acceptable, even when it is mixed up with religion. Perhaps especially when it is mixed up in religion.
    Einstein, "science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

  4. #184
    Sage
    Dezaad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Last Seen
    06-28-15 @ 10:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    5,058
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Duck Dynasty

    Quote Originally Posted by grip View Post
    You're the one that said "forcing". See below....
    I guess I meant "force" differently than you mean "force". And I only advocated specific actions that you seem to agree with by your own statements, so I am not sure why you didn't see that. What is it that you think I am advocating? Putting them in concentration camps or something?

    No. I meant "force" in response to and in the same meaning as the article I was referring to used it. Social pressure applied to the situation. That is all.
    You can never be safe from a government that can keep you completely safe from each other and the world. You must choose.

  5. #185
    Light△Bender

    grip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ☚ ☛
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,224
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Duck Dynasty

    Quote Originally Posted by Dezaad View Post
    I guess I meant "force" differently than you mean "force". And I only advocated specific actions that you seem to agree with by your own statements, so I am not sure why you didn't see that. What is it that you think I am advocating? Putting them in concentration camps or something?

    No. I meant "force" in response to and in the same meaning as the article I was referring to used it. Social pressure applied to the situation. That is all.

    This is the kind of communication that people should practice that leads to agreement and understanding.

    I had a friend that used to be brutally honest with me telling me when I had a correctable flaw. I absolutely hated hearing the criticism all the time but after awhile it practically disappeared. I asked "what's wrong don't you love me anymore, being sarcastic?" The response was "there's just not that much wrong anymore." Can't tell you how good that made me feel from such a critique.

    The world will always be at odds with differing opinions though it doesn't mean we can't get along?
    Einstein, "science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

  6. #186
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:05 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,413

    Re: Duck Dynasty

    Quote Originally Posted by Dezaad View Post
    Right and wrong is established through reason. It's been a long, slow slog to rip right and wrong out from under the auspices of religion, but slowly and relentlessly, reason is prevailing. Religion is being dragged, kicking and screaming the whole way, toward reasonable positions.

    Do I get to say child rape is ok, and you just go "Well, no one is the arbiter of right and wrong, so maybe child rape is ok..."? I seriously doubt it. There are things that are demonstrably wrong. Bigotry is one of those things.

    Popular opinion most comports with reason in a population trained to reason. Ours is not especially good at it, but it is doing so so.
    The view on child rape as being bad hasn't changed over time. Poor example.

    While probably not intending to say so, what you're saying is that old is wrong and new is good. But, is it really? Not necessarily. Just one example:

    Religion... the Bible... says to practice personal fiscal responsibility. Don't live beyond one's means, and so on. Today's popular culture accepts and teaches that personal debt is ok, and that purchasing luxury items beyond one's means is perfectly fine.

    Is that the kid of "reason" where we have supposedly evolved beyond religion that you're talking about?

    It must be, as anything religion is bad and anything contradicting religion is good.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  7. #187
    Sage
    Dezaad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Last Seen
    06-28-15 @ 10:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    5,058
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Duck Dynasty

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    The view on child rape as being bad hasn't changed over time. Poor example.

    While probably not intending to say so, what you're saying is that old is wrong and new is good. But, is it really? Not necessarily. Just one example:

    Religion... the Bible... says to practice personal fiscal responsibility. Don't live beyond one's means, and so on. Today's popular culture accepts and teaches that personal debt is ok, and that purchasing luxury items beyond one's means is perfectly fine.

    Is that the kid of "reason" where we have supposedly evolved beyond religion that you're talking about?

    It must be, as anything religion is bad and anything contradicting religion is good.
    No. It is still reason to live within one's means. The fact that people are not trained to reason (as I already pointed out) is not a flaw of reason.

    It is irrelevant that one 'wrong' has always been recognized to be 'wrong', and another has not. Genocide had 'always' been considered permissible, until reason squashed it. God even commanded Old Testament characters to perform it. Then religion followed along after reason and said, "ok, it's not ok", and twisted their scriptures to admit that it was not ok.
    You can never be safe from a government that can keep you completely safe from each other and the world. You must choose.

  8. #188
    Sage
    WCH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The Lone Star State.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    22,177

    Re: Duck Dynasty

    Quote Originally Posted by Grand Mal View Post
    He shoulda kept his trap shut about his fundamentalist religious beliefs. He was entertainment when he was just quaint and funny but as soon as he beaked off like that he became lunatic-fringe and creepy.

    The interviewer from GQ asked him the questions directly and really seemed to enjoy Phil's company. So are you simply misinformed?

  9. #189
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,974

    Re: Duck Dynasty

    Quote Originally Posted by Dezaad View Post
    Are you saying I should be tolerant of bigotry? What other specific bigoted positions do you think people should be tolerant of?
    The reality is that everyone is tolerant of bigotry, it just depends on their moral belief of whether or not that bigotry is justified. You demonstrate this wonderfully here. You demonstrate a clear cut intolerance of those that share a different opinion than yourself, as have others on this thread. However, you morally feel your bigotry is justified because you feel the target of your bigotry is morally bad...thus it justifies your bigotry to you.

    Which is frankly no different than the staunch christians who justify their bigotry towards homosexuality. They too, just like you, base it off their own moral view and code and judge the situation based on that.

    That's the funy thing when people throw out words like bigotry or discrimination or other such things as some kind of universal "bad" word. They're not inherently bad, it largely depends on the context and view point of the individual doing them and how they justify it in their own minds.

  10. #190
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,974

    Re: Duck Dynasty

    Quote Originally Posted by Dezaad View Post
    Bigotry is one of those things.
    No, bigotry is not "demonstrably wrong"....your clear, unquestioned, indisputable bigotry on display currently that you've defended and proclaimed as just is a shining example of a contradiction between what you said above and what you've said earlier in this thread.

    You are acting completely and utterly bigotted...and you've declared that bigotry to be completely okay because it's aimed at something you find to be "demonstrably wrong". Therefore showing that you DON'T believe bigotry, in and of itself, is demonstrably wrong.

Page 19 of 28 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •