View Poll Results: Select what represents your view?

Voters
138. You may not vote on this poll
  • I don't agree with Phil's comments and he had no right saying it.

    5 3.62%
  • I don't agree with Phil's comment's but defend his right to say it.

    54 39.13%
  • I agree with Phil's comments and defend his right to say it.

    41 29.71%
  • A&E had no right to suspend Phil.

    3 2.17%
  • A&E has a right to suspend Phil but I don't agree with it.

    51 36.96%
  • A&E has a right to suspend Phil and I agree with it.

    32 23.19%
  • It's a question of "freedom of speech" and very important.

    22 15.94%
  • Phil's beard is too weird, which makes him a slave to fame.

    12 8.70%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 17 of 28 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 274

Thread: Duck Dynasty

  1. #161
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,692

    Re: Duck Dynasty

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Again, to be fair about the situation...

    Part of it he was clearly paraphrasing the Bible. Part of it though was absolutely not "quoting the bible". Unless I missed the point where the bible declared that a vagina is more desirable to a man than an anus because a woman has more to offer. Perhaps you can offer me up the verse and I can go search out a bible and double check, but pretty sure that wasn't a "quote" of hte bible.
    That part was all Phil...but thats not the part that got people up in arms.

    Now...in all honesty...I agree with what he said about both...but thats just me. There are some roads...Ive just never had the desire to travel...

  2. #162
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Last Seen
    05-12-17 @ 04:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,151

    Re: Duck Dynasty

    What's a Duck Dynasty? Who is Phil Robertson and what is going on (just saw this thread) - is he related to Pat Robertson or something?

  3. #163
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Colorado mountains
    Last Seen
    01-03-15 @ 08:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,729

    Re: Duck Dynasty

    Quote Originally Posted by Nightrider View Post
    What's a Duck Dynasty? Who is Phil Robertson and what is going on (just saw this thread) - is he related to Pat Robertson or something?
    Yes he was Pat's homosexual wife for twenty years and now he has come out as anti-gay.

  4. #164
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Last Seen
    05-12-17 @ 04:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,151

    Re: Duck Dynasty

    Quote Originally Posted by Buck Ewer View Post
    Yes he was Pat's homosexual wife for twenty years and now he has come out as anti-gay.
    Whatever - carry on, I guess (thanks for clearing that up)...

  5. #165
    Sage
    Peter King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Netherlands
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    14,029

    Re: Duck Dynasty

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    Actually...its not his 'opinion'...its a fact that he quoted the words of God as contained in the Bible. BUT...you and he may choose to agree or disagree that there is such a thing as a God. THAT is an opinion...a belief based on a choice.
    How much more opinion can you get. If you are of the opinion that the bible is really the word of god you may think like that. But again, that is your opinion that it is, not a fact.

    It is a fact that he quoted from the bible but it is his opinion that these words come from god.
    Former military man (and now babysitter of Donald Trump) John Kelly, is a big loud lying empty barrel!

  6. #166
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,692

    Re: Duck Dynasty

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter King View Post
    How much more opinion can you get. If you are of the opinion that the bible is really the word of god you may think like that. But again, that is your opinion that it is, not a fact.

    It is a fact that he quoted from the bible but it is his opinion that these words come from god.
    Agreed. Thats why it makes zero sense to me that people lose themselves over comments from an individual they dont watch and words they dont believe.

  7. #167
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:06 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,413

    Re: Duck Dynasty

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    People should stop watching A&E, but not because they've SUSPENDED the duck dynasty dude, people should stop watching A&E because they hired those idiots in the first place.

    As for the question really at hand -

    You have the right to say what you want.
    People then have the right to react to it.
    The consequences for the things you have the right to say truly do exist.

    Do the capitalist freedom lovers here believe people that own and operate businesses shouldn't be able to hire and fire people in a manner that's thought best for their particular business?

    Should a business owner not be able to fire somebody who negatively effects their business?
    Sure, and as you said, people have a right to react to that and let the network know that, if they proceed, their business will be negatively affected even more.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  8. #168
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Duck Dynasty

    Quote Originally Posted by grip View Post
    You only stated the obvious.
    That's all that's needed. We don't need to devote the time and energy we are into this issue, it's really a non-issue. Wars are still going on, we're broke, NSA is out of hand, etc. These are far more important than some white trash swamp people and a television station.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  9. #169
    Light△Bender

    grip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ☚ ☛
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 02:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,224
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Duck Dynasty

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    That's all that's needed. We don't need to devote the time and energy we are into this issue, it's really a non-issue. Wars are still going on, we're broke, NSA is out of hand, etc. These are far more important than some white trash swamp people and a television station.
    I tend to personally agree but it's actually part of a larger social issue. I posted this statement on another thread to make the point.

    "I believe the outcry from the conservatives on this issue is oriented in a sudden public shift in opinion on the acceptance of homosexuality. And not just the lack of condemnation but the political movement towards SSM. I often hear about Gay activists pushing an agenda, which is probably true to some degree and this unsettles the traditionalists.

    I live in the south and hear my redneck acquaintances saying "it's too much Gay, too fast". I've often preached in the forums for the pro LGBT supporters to slow their roll or there will be a social divide and organized blowback. Especially with the PC control over speech. Let people have the time to adjust and freedom to vocally resist, so that a happy middle can be achieved.

    The Cracker Barrel has already gotten such a massive negative response that they put Phil's items back on the shelves.

    Hating or preaching against homosexuality is not going to make it go away. It's been around since before biblical times. And trying to force others to accept your orientation on every level is not a realistic goal."
    Einstein, "science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

  10. #170
    Sage
    Dezaad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Last Seen
    06-28-15 @ 10:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    5,058
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Duck Dynasty

    I don't agree with him, but he had every right to express his opinion.

    I agree with A & E's actions, and they had every right to take such action. They also have every right to reinstate him if they so desire. Everyone has their rights to protest whatever decision A & E makes. I hope the correct side carries the day. That would be the side that is against religion based bigotry and for equality, respect, dignity and compassion.

    Freedom of Speech is not a protected action with regard to employment law. Perhaps it should be, but such a law would certainly have exceptions, and the entertainment industry would certainly be within the scope of whatever exceptions were crafted. The notion that his rights have been violated is completely ignorant from start to finish.
    You can never be safe from a government that can keep you completely safe from each other and the world. You must choose.

Page 17 of 28 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •