View Poll Results: How to tax green energy?

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • Tax it at the same rate as all other energy?

    1 14.29%
  • Don't tax it at all so its promoted?

    5 71.43%
  • Do you have a better option?

    1 14.29%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Green Energy: Tax it or Don't Tax it?

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Denio Junction
    Last Seen
    11-13-14 @ 12:09 AM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,039
    Blog Entries
    4

    Green Energy: Tax it or Don't Tax it?

    When someone puts a solar system in place and uses the power they avoid the utility taxes applied by many cities, counties and perhaps some states. Utility companies have to run power to the house, but no longer sell them any usage and may only collect a small usage fee for the connection. Should those with solar power or independent energy production at their home pay the same utility user tax as someone that buys it on the grid? What about fuel? I can produce bio diesel and use it in my truck, and by doing so I don't have to pay any gasoline taxes - is that fair? Then on the other side of the equation we want green energy, we also want more energy, and isn't avoiding taxes a good means to producing both green and more energy?

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    EUSSR
    Last Seen
    03-24-14 @ 01:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,851

    Re: Green Energy: Tax it or Don't Tax it?

    Yeah, but when one has excess electricity, it goes straight to the neighbours with NO LOSS and the profit goes to the utility company. I think it may compensate what you point out.
    As for bio-diesel, I think one can produce as much as one wants for own consumption, but selling it to others would be another story.

  3. #3
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Green Energy: Tax it or Don't Tax it?

    I think they should bear the line taxes IF and only if they are going to be using that line (either to sell back or buy supplimental). The utilities place the line, true, but you don't have to connect it.

  4. #4
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Green Energy: Tax it or Don't Tax it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Canell View Post
    Yeah, but when one has excess electricity, it goes straight to the neighbours with NO LOSS and the profit goes to the utility company. I think it may compensate what you point out.
    As for bio-diesel, I think one can produce as much as one wants for own consumption, but selling it to others would be another story.
    I don't believe that's true at all (the bolded part).

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    EUSSR
    Last Seen
    03-24-14 @ 01:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,851

    Re: Green Energy: Tax it or Don't Tax it?

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    I don't believe that's true at all (the bolded part).
    Well, there will always be some loss, but you can't compare the loss of 100 miles delivery with 100 feet delivery.

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 11:30 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,788

    Re: Green Energy: Tax it or Don't Tax it?

    mhmmmmm...

    Concerning the need for a change in the energy sector to better resources, I guess it should be agreed at least at which point taxes should be payed.

  7. #7
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Green Energy: Tax it or Don't Tax it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Canell View Post
    Well, there will always be some loss, but you can't compare the loss of 100 miles delivery with 100 feet delivery.
    I don't believe that part is accurate either. You're not wired directly to your neighbor's house, or shouldn't be at least.

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    EUSSR
    Last Seen
    03-24-14 @ 01:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,851

    Re: Green Energy: Tax it or Don't Tax it?

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    I don't believe that part is accurate either. You're not wired directly to your neighbor's house, or shouldn't be at least.
    How come? You are wired to the neighbour through the grid. It's not a straight line but it is "directly".

  9. #9
    Guru
    soot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Seen
    04-25-17 @ 03:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    4,308

    Re: Green Energy: Tax it or Don't Tax it?

    Quote Originally Posted by CalGun View Post
    When someone puts a solar system in place and uses the power they avoid the utility taxes applied by many cities, counties and perhaps some states. Utility companies have to run power to the house, but no longer sell them any usage and may only collect a small usage fee for the connection. Should those with solar power or independent energy production at their home pay the same utility user tax as someone that buys it on the grid? What about fuel? I can produce bio diesel and use it in my truck, and by doing so I don't have to pay any gasoline taxes - is that fair? Then on the other side of the equation we want green energy, we also want more energy, and isn't avoiding taxes a good means to producing both green and more energy?
    If the home remains connected to the grid, such that it can "sell" power back to the grid (in the form of renewable energy credits - mandated by many states) and draw power off of the grid in times of need, then yes, they should pay the tax. If they disconnect completely from the grid then no, they shouldn't pay the tax.

    To the extent that gas taxes are used to fund the construction and maintenance of common roadways (such as the federal gas tax is deposited in the Highway Trust Fund) then yes, a renewable energy motorist should be subjected to the same tax burden as anyone driving a traditional gasoline powered engine.

    This is actually becoming something of an issue, from what I understand, with the increasing popularity and ubiquity of hybrid, electric, and bio-fuel vehicles. Most highway funds are on the verge of insolvency as it is and the steadily decreasing tax revenue due to renewable energy vehicles is really putting the hurt on them.

    I'd expect to see some kind of toll or mileage tax or usage tax proposed to augment the gas tax in the not too distant future (if it isn't happening already in places).
    “Now it is not good for the Christian’s health to hustle the Aryan brown,
    For the Christian riles, and the Aryan smiles and he weareth the Christian down;
    And the end of the fight is a tombstone white with the name of the late deceased,
    And the epitaph drear: “A Fool lies here who tried to hustle the East.”

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Green Energy: Tax it or Don't Tax it?

    As of right now, I would not tax it. This is because it is still a fledgeling and unperfected source of energy that needs more research, and a tax deferment could help maximize positive externalities.

    People should not be taxed for using clean energy, and companies should not be taxed for providing it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •