View Poll Results: What should the legal drinking age be?

Voters
122. You may not vote on this poll
  • Bring back Prohibition.

    4 3.28%
  • Older than 21. Raise it even higher!

    3 2.46%
  • Leave it at 21 (in the USA).

    23 18.85%
  • 20

    3 2.46%
  • 19

    7 5.74%
  • 18

    54 44.26%
  • 17

    3 2.46%
  • 16

    4 3.28%
  • Below 16.

    4 3.28%
  • Other (please explain).

    17 13.93%
Page 32 of 35 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast
Results 311 to 320 of 349

Thread: Legal drinking age?

  1. #311
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,115

    Re: Legal drinking age?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    We have to think about society as a WHOLE and not just what is best for you and your children. AND you can still teach them to be responsible in their habits. The legal drinking age has NOTHING to do with that.
    What is best for society as a WHOLE is that we successfully raise children to make wise decisions. That is why as a WHOLE we teach teenagers to do dangerous things like drive under the adult supervision of their guardians. Society as a WHOLE will be better off if we reduce the appeal of the idiot-self-destruction culture that comes with treating alcohol like some kind of forbidden fruit.

  2. #312
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Legal drinking age?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Right, and I'm quite sure most responsible parents do that NOW. It just doesn't always work, and I don't believe that is because of the drinking age.
    It's not the drinking age, it's a judgement issue and at some point we just have to let go and trust them to make the right decision.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  3. #313
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Legal drinking age?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    What is best for society as a WHOLE is that we successfully raise children to make wise decisions. That is why as a WHOLE we teach teenagers to do dangerous things like drive under the adult supervision of their guardians. Society as a WHOLE will be better off if we reduce the appeal of the idiot-self-destruction culture that comes with treating alcohol like some kind of forbidden fruit.
    Are you serious? You think that lowering the drinking age is going to solve society's woes and teenage angst? This is NOT Candy Land.

  4. #314
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Legal drinking age?

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    It's not the drinking age, it's a judgement issue and at some point we just have to let go and trust them to make the right decision.
    I agree, but there is no need to lower the drinking age.

  5. #315
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Legal drinking age?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    I agree, but there is no need to lower the drinking age.
    I think we should, if nothing more than to get the federal government out of at least one of the areas it has no power over. The argument for lowering it falls on the age of adulthood and what the government gains from the three years it declares someone a partial adult, the argument for keeping the age at 21 would be dependent upon a universal standard IMO, because again one is an adult or they aren't. Like I say though, pick one and stick to it.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  6. #316
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Legal drinking age?

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    I think we should, if nothing more than to get the federal government out of at least one of the areas it has no power over. The argument for lowering it falls on the age of adulthood and what the government gains from the three years it declares someone a partial adult, the argument for keeping the age at 21 would be dependent upon a universal standard IMO, because again one is an adult or they aren't. Like I say though, pick one and stick to it.
    I don't agree. Different people mature at different levels. So you must go with the oldest age in order to be sure. You always err on the side of caution. That is a good rule to follow.

  7. #317
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,115

    Re: Legal drinking age?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Are you serious? You think that lowering the drinking age is going to solve society's woes and teenage angst?
    Nope. Got a counterargument that isn't a strawman?

  8. #318
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Legal drinking age?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    I don't agree. Different people mature at different levels. So you must go with the oldest age in order to be sure. You always err on the side of caution. That is a good rule to follow.
    I don't agree with a society that puts caution above rights. I err on the side of where the age of majority is decided, it should be universal.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  9. #319
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,115

    Re: Legal drinking age?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    I don't agree. Different people mature at different levels. So you must go with the oldest age in order to be sure. You always err on the side of caution. That is a good rule to follow.
    So, raise the driving age to 21?

    Or - heck - 30?

  10. #320
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    (none)
    Last Seen
    04-04-15 @ 09:11 PM
    Lean
    Communist
    Posts
    6,112
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Legal drinking age?

    Quote Originally Posted by Durin View Post
    we need to increase the age to join the military,
    That is a better option.

Page 32 of 35 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •