View Poll Results: What should the legal drinking age be?

Voters
122. You may not vote on this poll
  • Bring back Prohibition.

    4 3.28%
  • Older than 21. Raise it even higher!

    3 2.46%
  • Leave it at 21 (in the USA).

    23 18.85%
  • 20

    3 2.46%
  • 19

    7 5.74%
  • 18

    54 44.26%
  • 17

    3 2.46%
  • 16

    4 3.28%
  • Below 16.

    4 3.28%
  • Other (please explain).

    17 13.93%
Page 30 of 35 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 ... LastLast
Results 291 to 300 of 349

Thread: Legal drinking age?

  1. #291
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Legal drinking age?

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    I don't doubt there are contrary studies and findings to what I have read. Youth drinking in those countries is more likely to be a matter of record and right out in the open, in the U.S. these kids go on benders because it's actually available to them at the time. Either way, it's not acceptable to me to have a "graduated adulthood".
    And no there are not just "some" contrary findings. Google it for yourself. It is a myth that teens in Europe consume less alcohol and are more responsible with their drinking. It's just not true. Here is some MORE evidence for you.

    http://resources.prev.org/documents/ESPAD.pdf

  2. #292
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Legal drinking age?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Why? .
    Because you are either an adult or you are not. The federal loves getting taxes from people when they enter into contracts, marry, and they love having the extra three years of a kid's life available to them from 18-21, but then when it comes down to granting them full adulthood it's "thanks for your adult contributions, but you aren't adult enough to be considered a full adult just yet". It's simple, if an eighteen year old can make one adult decision, they must be trusted in full.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  3. #293
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,115

    Re: Legal drinking age?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    No one is talking about banning alcohol mo's. I'm talking about not lowering and perhaps raising the drinking age. A lot of adults can't handle their alcohol. What kind of tard would think children could?
    we give car keys to 15 year olds, recognizing that cars are dangerous and so the best time for them to learn is under the supervision of responsible adults. Cars are more dangerous than alcohol, but the same general lesson would seem to apply.

    Like I said earlier in the thread, that is your last resort argument, that it's nutritious. There are PLENTY of other sources of nutrition. Alcohol is not a necessity.
    I dont know if I would argue that there aren't other sources of nutrition - and I would agree alcohol isn't necessary for healthy living. But on top of pure individual and social enjoyment, it does seem to have health benefits.

    Alcohol is not bad. Abuse of alcohol is bad. Here in this country plenty of people abuse alcohol, sure. More abuse sugars and fats - which are also not bad in and of themselves. Let me know when you are willing to argue for banning cookies from kids and replacing them with nuts on the basis that kids can't decide how many cookie are healthy, and so should instead be left to discover that for themselves when they are in college or working after they leave the house.



    The problem with your argument is that it is self-defeating. If teenagers are more impulsive and less prone to good decision-making, then that requires more supervision and deliberate effort to teach them good lessons, not less.

  4. #294
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Legal drinking age?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    And no there are not just "some" contrary findings. Google it for yourself. It is a myth that teens in Europe consume less alcohol and are more responsible with their drinking. It's just not true. Here is some MORE evidence for you.

    http://resources.prev.org/documents/ESPAD.pdf
    Causation, they have access to it, they may have more alcohol but be more prone to moderation. IOW the binge drinking comes from learned behaviors attributed to the "get it while you can" mentality of the additional years that the federal has established. In fact, U.S. binge drinking is up.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  5. #295
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Legal drinking age?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    we give car keys to 15 year olds, recognizing that cars are dangerous and so the best time for them to learn is under the supervision of responsible adults. Cars are more dangerous than alcohol, but the same general lesson would seem to apply.
    Cars serve a purpose besides getting high and do NOT change your mentation.

    I dont know if I would argue that there aren't other sources of nutrition - and I would agree alcohol isn't necessary for healthy living. But on top of pure individual and social enjoyment, it does seem to have health benefits.
    For ADULT enjoyment.

    Alcohol is not bad. Abuse of alcohol is bad. Here in this country plenty of people abuse alcohol, sure. More abuse sugars and fats - which are also not bad in and of themselves. Let me know when you are willing to argue for banning cookies from kids and replacing them with nuts on the basis that kids can't decide how many cookie are healthy, and so should instead be left to discover that for themselves when they are in college or working after they leave the house.
    There is NO way to tell who will be an abuser and who will not. Cookies do NOT change your mentation.



    The problem with your argument is that it is self-defeating. If teenagers are more impulsive and less prone to good decision-making, then that requires more supervision and deliberate effort to teach them good lessons, not less.
    No, your argument is. You have YET to post anything to back your position except for your own suppositions which mean absolutely nothing.

  6. #296
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Legal drinking age?

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    Causation, they have access to it, they may have more alcohol but be more prone to moderation. IOW the binge drinking comes from learned behaviors attributed to the "get it while you can" mentality of the additional years that the federal has established. In fact, U.S. binge drinking is up.
    They are not more prone to moderation. That is a myth and a lie.

  7. #297
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Legal drinking age?

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    Causation, they have access to it, they may have more alcohol but be more prone to moderation. IOW the binge drinking comes from learned behaviors attributed to the "get it while you can" mentality of the additional years that the federal has established. In fact, U.S. binge drinking is up.
    Here is ANOTHER article about the problems in European countries with young people binge drinking. Now this is about the 5th article/study I've posted.

    British teenagers are the binge-drinking champions of Europe | Mail Online

  8. #298
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Legal drinking age?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Here is ANOTHER article about the problems in European countries with young people binge drinking. Now this is about the 5th article/study I've posted.

    British teenagers are the binge-drinking champions of Europe | Mail Online
    I never mentioned the British, rather the French as I am more familiar with it. Frankly I don't care what the studies say to be honest but stated that the ones I have run across do not support any benefits to creating a double standard for adults based upon age. As far as I am concerned people should be full adults at 18 or 21 and that should be that, pick one and let's move on IMO. If the drunk driving becomes a problem, increase the penalties.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  9. #299
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,115

    Re: Legal drinking age?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Cars serve a purpose besides getting high and do NOT change your mentation.
    So? That does not change at all the fact that they are more dangerous than alcohol, which is why we wisely ensure that teenagers learn how to handle them under responsible adult supervision. If something is dangerous, we want teenagers to learn about it under responsible adult supervision because that is the wise course of action to take.

    Nor is alcohol's purpose restricted to "getting high". For one thing, alcohol is a depressant.

    For ADULT enjoyment.
    Sure. Such as, for example, people who can vote and fight and lead others in wars.

    There is NO way to tell who will be an abuser and who will not
    Sure there is - plenty of social factors correlate with alcohol abuse; not least likely being the environment in which drinking begins and occurs. When you are introduced to alcohol at binge parties, you are more likely to abuse it than when you are introduced to it because your parents let you have a glass of wine with christmas dinner.

    Cookies do NOT change your mentation.
    So? That does not alter at all the fact that they fit perfectly under your formula.

    No, your argument is
    Okay.

    Please tell me why, if teenagers are more impulsive and less prone to good decision-making, then that does not require more supervision and deliberate effort to teach them good lessons. I'm all ears as to why I would want my children learning about alcohol at a binge-party rather than from me.

  10. #300
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Legal drinking age?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    They are not more prone to moderation. That is a myth and a lie.
    Depends on the country.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

Page 30 of 35 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •