View Poll Results: What should the legal drinking age be?

Voters
122. You may not vote on this poll
  • Bring back Prohibition.

    4 3.28%
  • Older than 21. Raise it even higher!

    3 2.46%
  • Leave it at 21 (in the USA).

    23 18.85%
  • 20

    3 2.46%
  • 19

    7 5.74%
  • 18

    54 44.26%
  • 17

    3 2.46%
  • 16

    4 3.28%
  • Below 16.

    4 3.28%
  • Other (please explain).

    17 13.93%
Page 29 of 35 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast
Results 281 to 290 of 349

Thread: Legal drinking age?

  1. #281
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Legal drinking age?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    The fact is that kids here in America like to party. In places like Russia where there is really no enforced drinking age, alcoholism is a HUGE problem.
    It's been a huge problem in Russia, but a lot of that if I had to guess would be the extreme poverty of the country. Russia also has a pretty big hard drug problem as well, they likewise ban the use like the U.S.

    To me it's a cultural issue. Demystifying the use of alcohol to me is more effective, it's just an opinion though.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  2. #282
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Legal drinking age?

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    Well sure, in fact most medicines are a poison of some type as well. Alcohol has it's place in society, the idea is to make sure that it's place is one of responsible use.
    I don't think allowing children to consume it is responsible at all. Adults, sure, let them drown themselves in it if they want. I couldn't care less.

  3. #283
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Legal drinking age?

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    It's been a huge problem in Russia, but a lot of that if I had to guess would be the extreme poverty of the country. Russia also has a pretty big hard drug problem as well, they likewise ban the use like the U.S.

    To me it's a cultural issue. Demystifying the use of alcohol to me is more effective, it's just an opinion though.
    I posted a link on one of the previous pages about how it is a problem in most European countries with lower drinking ages.

  4. #284
    Sage


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    IL
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    36,762

    Re: Legal drinking age?

    Then we're back to 50 different state laws and 50 different quasi-countries.
    Interstate drivers will now have to pass 50 different tests instead of one for age.

    And federal marijuana laws are a decade away, IMO .

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    The U.S. didn't choose that, D.C. did. The federal had to force the states to comply by holding their highway funding hostage, that isn't "choice".
    Physics is Phun

  5. #285
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Legal drinking age?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    I don't think allowing children to consume it is responsible at all. Adults, sure, let them drown themselves in it if they want. I couldn't care less.
    Children shouldn't be allowed to freely consume alcohol, however if a parent wants to give them a sip or so of wine occasionally I don't see a problem with it. The argument though is how can one allow an 18 year old to make some adult decisions, call them an adult at that age with all consequences for being an adult included, and then say "But you're only a partial adult" regarding certain adult behaviors like drinking, gambling, etc.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  6. #286
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Legal drinking age?

    Quote Originally Posted by NIMBY View Post
    Then we're back to 50 different state laws and 50 different quasi-countries.
    Interstate drivers will now have to pass 50 different tests instead of one for age.

    And federal marijuana laws are a decade away, IMO .
    Good, the federal was always to be subservient to the states in this republic, not the other way around. The federal has no authority to pass minimum ages for consumption of products, or prohibition, they just took it.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  7. #287
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Legal drinking age?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    I posted a link on one of the previous pages about how it is a problem in most European countries with lower drinking ages.
    Every country has some kind of problem with drinking, it is an addictive substance. The difference is in scale, the U.S. has a huge problem with alcoholism but it is one of those issues that is largely ignored, binge drinking in the U.S. is at an all time high according to just about every source I've read.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  8. #288
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Legal drinking age?

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    Every country has some kind of problem with drinking, it is an addictive substance. The difference is in scale, the U.S. has a huge problem with alcoholism but it is one of those issues that is largely ignored, binge drinking in the U.S. is at an all time high according to just about every source I've read.
    Not according to my link. I'm posting it again for your convenience.

    Youth Drinking Worse in Europe than U.S., Study Says | The Partnership at Drugfree.org

    European teenagers drink more alcohol more often than their American counterparts, and get drunk more frequently, as well, according to researchers from the PIRE Prevention Research Center.

    Philanthropy News Network reported Nov. 17 that researchers said data on youths ages 15-16 from 35 European countries showed that every nation in Europe except Turkey had higher teen binge-drinking rates than the U.S.

    “The claim that Europeans learn to drink moderately and safely in a family setting has been used by many in the United States to argue for lowering the drinking age,” said report author Joel Grube. “But our research shows that premise is a myth. Easy access to alcohol seems to allow young people to drink heavily and in a risky fashion, whether in Europe or the United States. Raising the drinking age in the United States has been an extremely effective public health and safety policy. Based on our research, weakening that policy would be a serious mistake.”
    The teen binge-drinking rate in the U.S. is about 22 percent, compared to 60 percent in Denmark, 57 percent in Germany, 54 percent in Great Britain, 34 percent in Italy, and 28 percent in France, the PIRE report said.

    The study data came from the European School Survey Project on Alcohol and Other Drugs and the U.S. Monitoring the Future survey. The report, “Youth drinking rates and problems: A comparison of European countries and the United States,” is available online.
    Here is another link to a study that shows that the belief that teens drink more moderately in European countries is a myth.

    http://www.udetc.org/documents/Youth...ndProblems.pdf

    Do European youth actually drink less and experience fewer problems than their American counterparts? Research demonstrates that this is not the case. In fact, in comparison with young people in the United States, a greater percentage of young people from nearly all European countries report drinking in the past 30 days; A majority of the European countries have higher intoxication rates among young people than do youth from the United States; and For a majority of these European countries, a greater percentage of young people report having been intoxicated before the age of 13. Based on this analysis, the comparison of drinking rates and alcohol-related problems among young people in the United States and in European countries does not provide support for lowering the U.S. minimum drinking age or for the implementation of programs to teach responsible drinking to young people.

  9. #289
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Legal drinking age?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Not according to my link. I'm posting it again for your convenience.

    Youth Drinking Worse in Europe than U.S., Study Says | The Partnership at Drugfree.org



    Here is another link to a study that shows that the belief that teens drink more moderately in European countries is a myth.

    http://www.udetc.org/documents/Youth...ndProblems.pdf
    I don't doubt there are contrary studies and findings to what I have read. Youth drinking in those countries is more likely to be a matter of record and right out in the open, in the U.S. these kids go on benders because it's actually available to them at the time. Either way, it's not acceptable to me to have a "graduated adulthood".
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  10. #290
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Legal drinking age?

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    I don't doubt there are contrary studies and findings to what I have read. Youth drinking in those countries is more likely to be a matter of record and right out in the open, in the U.S. these kids go on benders because it's actually available to them at the time. Either way, it's not acceptable to me to have a "graduated adulthood".
    Why? .

Page 29 of 35 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •