View Poll Results: Is it Time for a Balanced Budget Amendment

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    20 64.52%
  • No

    10 32.26%
  • Other

    1 3.23%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 28

Thread: Is It Time for a Balanced Budget Amendment?

  1. #1
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Republic of Florida
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 12:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,003

    Is It Time for a Balanced Budget Amendment?

    We havent had a poll on this in a while, so I thought I would bring it up again. Given the skyrocketing spending and debt, out of control social spending, and the inability of congress to deal with it, would you support an amendment to the constitution to the effect of requiring the govt to not spend more than it has in the treasury, except in the case of a congress declared national emergency? The exact language doesnt matter. Just the idea, for the purposed of this poll.

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    02-18-14 @ 08:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,660

    Re: Is It Time for a Balanced Budget Amendment?

    yes, and I would also support no one in Congress getting paid until those budgets are final. Oh and all of Congress must participate in Obamacare

  3. #3
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,544

    Re: Is It Time for a Balanced Budget Amendment?

    Quote Originally Posted by jonny5 View Post
    We havent had a poll on this in a while, so I thought I would bring it up again. Given the skyrocketing spending and debt, out of control social spending, and the inability of congress to deal with it, would you support an amendment to the constitution to the effect of requiring the govt to not spend more than it has in the treasury, except in the case of a congress declared national emergency? The exact language doesnt matter. Just the idea, for the purposed of this poll.
    The 2010 census was declared an emergency to bypass the "pay as you go" federal budget "law".
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  4. #4
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Is It Time for a Balanced Budget Amendment?

    I would support it so long as 10 or so years were given for costs to be reconciled with income.

    I would prefer to avoid an economic depression

  5. #5
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,544

    Re: Is It Time for a Balanced Budget Amendment?

    Quote Originally Posted by jonny5 View Post
    We havent had a poll on this in a while, so I thought I would bring it up again. Given the skyrocketing spending and debt, out of control social spending, and the inability of congress to deal with it, would you support an amendment to the constitution to the effect of requiring the govt to not spend more than it has in the treasury, except in the case of a congress declared national emergency? The exact language doesnt matter. Just the idea, for the purposed of this poll.
    Balancing the budget can be done by cutting spending, raising taxes or both. Given the current makeup of the federal gov't just what do you think that would mean? Yep. A huge tax increase followed by a huge recession.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-01-14 @ 03:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    12,879

    Re: Is It Time for a Balanced Budget Amendment?

    Definitely, and here's the formula that I would prescribe in it......

    Prior to the budget being written the CBO should be required to provide the members of the US House with a predicted income for the US Government for the following fiscal year, based on taxes, tarrifs, etc.... The total for the US Budget in that fiscal year would be limited to 90% of that predicted income. The additional 10% would be placed in a "rainy day" fund that could only be tapped by a Supermajority vote ofeach of the following groups.... The US House of Representatives, US Senate, the Governors of the 50 US States and the Justices of the SCOTUS, and approved by the POTUS for use in time of War (requiring a Declaration of War by the US Congress) or extreme national emergency.

    The only way that additional funding could be added to the budget would be for items to be removed from it OR for revenues to exceed the projected income. That means 100% of hte projected income must already be in the coffers for that additional money to be used. Likewise, only 90% of that money could be used, with the other 10% going into the "rainy day" fund.

  7. #7
    Sage
    AliHajiSheik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,343

    Re: Is It Time for a Balanced Budget Amendment?

    There really isn't a need for a balanced budget. Going through Congress now is a bill that would reduce the deficit $23B over the next 10 years.

    For most of our history, that would be a lot of money.

  8. #8
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Republic of Florida
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 12:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,003

    Re: Is It Time for a Balanced Budget Amendment?

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    Balancing the budget can be done by cutting spending, raising taxes or both. Given the current makeup of the federal gov't just what do you think that would mean? Yep. A huge tax increase followed by a huge recession.
    You know as well as I do that no matter what restriction we put on govt, it wont solve every new problem they come up with. So would you support it or not?

  9. #9
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Republic of Florida
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 12:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,003

    Re: Is It Time for a Balanced Budget Amendment?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    Definitely, and here's the formula that I would prescribe in it......

    Prior to the budget being written the CBO should be required to provide the members of the US House with a predicted income for the US Government for the following fiscal year, based on taxes, tarrifs, etc.... The total for the US Budget in that fiscal year would be limited to 90% of that predicted income. The additional 10% would be placed in a "rainy day" fund that could only be tapped by a Supermajority vote ofeach of the following groups.... The US House of Representatives, US Senate, the Governors of the 50 US States and the Justices of the SCOTUS, and approved by the POTUS for use in time of War (requiring a Declaration of War by the US Congress) or extreme national emergency.

    The only way that additional funding could be added to the budget would be for items to be removed from it OR for revenues to exceed the projected income. That means 100% of hte projected income must already be in the coffers for that additional money to be used. Likewise, only 90% of that money could be used, with the other 10% going into the "rainy day" fund.
    That sounds like too much to put in the constitution, but I would be fine with that in one of the implementation laws.

  10. #10
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,544

    Re: Is It Time for a Balanced Budget Amendment?

    Quote Originally Posted by jonny5 View Post
    You know as well as I do that no matter what restriction we put on govt, it wont solve every new problem they come up with. So would you support it or not?
    It depends. If it includes a percentage of GDP limit (say 17%) for both total federal spending and total federal taxation and a 3/5 majority in both the Senate and House to declare an emergency (with that emergency lasting no more than one consecutive year) then probably.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •