View Poll Results: Profit Sharing? What do you think?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • It's a good idea! (Please explain!)

    9 52.94%
  • It's a bad idea! (Please explain)

    4 23.53%
  • Mixed/Neutral/Unsure (Please explain!)

    4 23.53%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 17 of 17

Thread: Profit Sharing

  1. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
    Last Seen
    09-14-14 @ 02:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,700

    Re: Profit Sharing

    Profit sharing is a great idea but not a great mandatory idea. I worked for an outfit once that had it and it was good incentive to try and make the company prosperous and they had very low turn over. If there is a negative it would be that you get used to that nice check at the end of the fiscal year and then when the company has a bad year and you get nothing it is a big ouch.

  2. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    02-18-14 @ 08:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,660

    Re: Profit Sharing

    we do it but it is based on our individual performance and our contribution to the bottom line. Each goal carries a weighted percentage. I do not think the government has any right to force this on anyone

  3. #13
    Iconoclast
    DaveFagan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    wny
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:28 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,289

    Re: Profit Sharing

    Quote Originally Posted by Tothian View Post
    My friend Master Legend - he is a real life Superhero that you can find at https://www.facebook.com/therealmasterlegend?fref=ts and https://www.facebook.com/pages/Maste...43047912386245

    Has had an idea for profit sharing. Due to the economic inbalance in society. His plan was for business owners to be able to own 70% of profits earned - but that in addition to their minimum wage payments - anything extra that the business makes, it all gets redistributed back to the workers.

    For example. Let's say the owner of a big chain of restaurants at the end of the month - after paying the employee's salaries and also the taxes and stuff, that they have $1,000,000.00 (one million dollars - for the dyslexic readers out there) left over - 70% of that which would be $700,000.00 (seven hundred thousand dollars) they get to keep - but that the remaining $300,000 all gets distributed back to the employees.

    I'm not as smart when it comes to economics. I'm not a socialist - I think I would actually lean capitalist but not too far in that direction - I like it when everyone is prosperous.

    I'm not as open-minded when it comes to social issues - I mean I'll hear what people have to say but pretty set in my ways there. When it comes to fiscal issues, I am more willing to hear all sides' ideas on this.
    I believe in profit sharing and think that not negotiating for profit sharing was a flaw in Union's negotiating platforms since forever. Instead of constantly demanding higher wages the Unions should have demanded profit sharing instead and shared the risk with their employers. If the Company does good, so also do the employees; if the Company does poorly, so also do the employees. That would represent genuine commitment by the employees to the welfare of the Company and vice versa.

  4. #14
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:00 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,397

    Re: Profit Sharing

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveFagan View Post
    I believe in profit sharing and think that not negotiating for profit sharing was a flaw in Union's negotiating platforms since forever. Instead of constantly demanding higher wages the Unions should have demanded profit sharing instead and shared the risk with their employers. If the Company does good, so also do the employees; if the Company does poorly, so also do the employees. That would represent genuine commitment by the employees to the welfare of the Company and vice versa.
    If I weren't at home by myself right now, I'd stand up and cheer this post.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  5. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    02-18-14 @ 08:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,660

    Re: Profit Sharing

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveFagan View Post
    I believe in profit sharing and think that not negotiating for profit sharing was a flaw in Union's negotiating platforms since forever. Instead of constantly demanding higher wages the Unions should have demanded profit sharing instead and shared the risk with their employers. If the Company does good, so also do the employees; if the Company does poorly, so also do the employees. That would represent genuine commitment by the employees to the welfare of the Company and vice versa.
    Unions do not want to be held accountable for performance, they want to do the least amount of work for the highest pay possible

  6. #16
    User Durin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Mines of Moria
    Last Seen
    01-05-14 @ 11:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    57

    Re: Profit Sharing

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveFagan View Post
    I believe in profit sharing and think that not negotiating for profit sharing was a flaw in Union's negotiating platforms since forever. Instead of constantly demanding higher wages the Unions should have demanded profit sharing instead and shared the risk with their employers. If the Company does good, so also do the employees; if the Company does poorly, so also do the employees. That would represent genuine commitment by the employees to the welfare of the Company and vice versa.
    Exactly, because unions just build cost into company pre-profit and reduce actual profits. I think it is good business sense to do profit sharing. I think the reason a lot of employers do not do it is simply because everybody else doesn't and they worry they will lose their share if they do, but I think profits would actually increase in the long run. The problem is a lot of business owners are more concerned about the short run, and in publicly traded companies they are more concerned about the next quarter, so even if profit sharing would be guaranteed to increase productivity, reduce costs and thus make the business more profitable five years down the road they don't want to do it because they are only thinking in terms of quarterly profits. It requires a lot of foresight and vision to impliment something like that as a CEO.

    I think eventually we might see it become more popular, however, in fact a lot of big corporations do it, but I feel it is mostly privately held corporations that do so because they do not have shareholders to answer to. In the end though I do not think it should be mandatory, but I would do it if I owned a business.

  7. #17
    Advisor Tothian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    New Jersey, United States
    Last Seen
    06-10-17 @ 04:26 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    553

    Re: Profit Sharing

    Quote Originally Posted by Kreton View Post
    First, are you talking about a business making the choice to do this, or the government enacting this and forcing it on business owners? Also, and probably the bigger problem is what about those times when profits are small, or even negative profits than can happen from time to time. At that point do all the workers have to take a massive pay cut or pay in to cover the loss?
    Either or could work. This is my friend's idea that I am sharing with you all. I am not as smart when it comes to fiscal issues as I am with social issues. I think in an ideal society where everyone can be rich - would be nice in theory but the problem is that not all things that sound nice in theory work as easily in practice.

    I am never usually the type that likes when ever the government forces anything. Less government control, the better.

    I voted Unsure in this poll. I was wanting to hear others' ideas.

    I think perhaps your idea of business people using it as a good strategy would be a good way to really encourage employees to work harder and do better. And also there's always the Occupy Movement people who could end up boycotting businesses that don't follow that idea - assuming this idea is ever promoted to the whole world.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •