View Poll Results: REPUBLICANS ONLY PLEASE- YOUR TOP CHOICE FOR 2016 REPUBLICAN NOMINATION FOR PRESIDENT

Voters
168. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ted Cruz

    51 30.36%
  • Rand Paul

    50 29.76%
  • Marco Rubio

    2 1.19%
  • Mike Huckabee

    2 1.19%
  • Chris Christie

    18 10.71%
  • Rick Perry

    2 1.19%
  • Rick Santorum

    12 7.14%
  • Jon Huntsman

    12 7.14%
  • Paul Ryan

    4 2.38%
  • Other (Please specify)

    15 8.93%
Page 34 of 42 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 ... LastLast
Results 331 to 340 of 419

Thread: 2016 Republican Primary

  1. #331
    Sage
    Perotista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,928
    Blog Entries
    24

    Re: 2016 Republican Primary

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ja View Post
    Well if he was born in Canada, renouncing or not that would disqualify him would it not?
    The Constitution states: "No person except a natural born citizen...can become president of the United States." I remember when Barry Goldwater was running for president the SCOTUS ruled him eligible. He was born in the Arizona Territory before Arizona became a state. So perhaps it all depend on the term natural born citizen. I know any dependent born from a military family serving overseas or diplomats or anyone on official U.S. business is considered a natural born citizen.

    Usually if someone gives birth while on vacation or on a job working overseas that child is also considered a natural born citizen if the parents were U.S. citizens and they register the kid with the Embassy. So if Cruz was born in Canada, it probably boils down to if his parents were citizens. If so, I have no doubt like Goldwater the courts would rule him to be a natural born citizen who just happened to be born outside of the United States. The constitution does not specify birth has to take place in the U.S.

    So let the courts decide. My guess is Cruz will be considered a natural born citizen if his parents were citizens at the time.
    This Reform Party member thinks it is high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first and their political party further down the line. But for way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.

  2. #332
    Sage
    Perotista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,928
    Blog Entries
    24

    Re: 2016 Republican Primary

    Quote Originally Posted by a351 View Post
    Paul and Cruz both with double the votes of Christie? Let's hope the remainder of the GOP electorate is wiser than their DP counterparts.
    I doubt if Paul or Cruz could win enough of the independent votes to win a general election. I do know today they couldn't but the election is over 2 years off. A lot can change, who knows what events will happen between now and then or what issues will be hot then. It is a crap shoot and this far out, polls are basically meaningless. Although I love to cite them.

    Who ever the Republicans nominate, their candidate will have to pick up approximately 55% of the independent vote to win the popular vote. In the latest party identification/affiliation polls show the Democrats at 30% of the electorate and the Republicans at 24%. That is a huge hill to climb. In November of 2012 those numbers stood at 35% Democratic and 30% Republican and Romney last by 4 points. Just about the difference in party affiliation as independents split their votes roughly 50-50 per the exit polls. Hence my figure of around winning 55% of the independent vote. I really do not think Cruz or Paul could pull 50%, but that is my opinion and if I will see if I can find some numbers in the 2016 polls all ready taken to verify that.
    This Reform Party member thinks it is high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first and their political party further down the line. But for way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.

  3. #333
    Banned Steve Ja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Kansas
    Last Seen
    11-30-15 @ 09:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,092
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: 2016 Republican Primary

    Quote Originally Posted by Perotista View Post
    The Constitution states: "No person except a natural born citizen...can become president of the United States." I remember when Barry Goldwater was running for president the SCOTUS ruled him eligible. He was born in the Arizona Territory before Arizona became a state. So perhaps it all depend on the term natural born citizen. I know any dependent born from a military family serving overseas or diplomats or anyone on official U.S. business is considered a natural born citizen.

    Usually if someone gives birth while on vacation or on a job working overseas that child is also considered a natural born citizen if the parents were U.S. citizens and they register the kid with the Embassy. So if Cruz was born in Canada, it probably boils down to if his parents were citizens. If so, I have no doubt like Goldwater the courts would rule him to be a natural born citizen who just happened to be born outside of the United States. The constitution does not specify birth has to take place in the U.S.

    So let the courts decide. My guess is Cruz will be considered a natural born citizen if his parents were citizens at the time.
    Will be fun to watch

  4. #334
    Sage
    Perotista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,928
    Blog Entries
    24

    Re: 2016 Republican Primary

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ja View Post
    Will be fun to watch
    Exactly. Even if Cruz is declared a natural born citizen, I think he might be able to win the Republican nomination, but not a general election.
    This Reform Party member thinks it is high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first and their political party further down the line. But for way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.

  5. #335
    Banned Steve Ja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Kansas
    Last Seen
    11-30-15 @ 09:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,092
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: 2016 Republican Primary

    Quote Originally Posted by Perotista View Post
    Exactly. Even if Cruz is declared a natural born citizen, I think he might be able to win the Republican nomination, but not a general election.
    Gonna be tough for any republican right now to win the general election, unless they can pull some minority votes.. Rubio?

  6. #336
    Sage
    Perotista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,928
    Blog Entries
    24

    Re: 2016 Republican Primary

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ja View Post
    Gonna be tough for any republican right now to win the general election, unless they can pull some minority votes.. Rubio?
    Check this out, I did work on a simulated generic presidential election and posted it this morning. I was using the party affiliation numbers provided by gallup and a lot of research in how people vote. If the election was held today the republicans might just win. But once names are added, all bets are off.

    http://www.debatepolitics.com/blogs/...-jan-2014.html
    This Reform Party member thinks it is high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first and their political party further down the line. But for way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.

  7. #337
    Sage
    Perotista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,928
    Blog Entries
    24

    Re: 2016 Republican Primary

    Quote Originally Posted by a351 View Post
    Paul and Cruz both with double the votes of Christie? Let's hope the remainder of the GOP electorate is wiser than their DP counterparts.
    As promised

    I found this inside a PPP poll. Favorable ratings Independent Voters only:

    Name….Favorable Unfavorable Not Sure
    Christie……40%............28%............25%
    Hillary……..34%............55%............10%
    Cruz…………29%............38%............33%
    Paul………….40%...........33%............27%

    I am surprised to see Christie and Paul both have independents approving of them at 40%.

    But when it comes to voting in a match up there is both, all and independents only.
    All Christie 45% Hillary 42%.......Independents only Christie 49% Hillary 26%
    All Cruz 41% Hillary 49%............Independents only Cruz 43% Hillary 40%
    All Paul 43% Hillary 48%............Independents only Paul 47% Hillary 37%

    It looks like I may be wrong about independents. Here is the poll if anyone wants to go inside it.

    http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/p...ional_1218.pdf
    This Reform Party member thinks it is high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first and their political party further down the line. But for way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.

  8. #338
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Anagram's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    St. Louis MO
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:23 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    6,188

    Re: 2016 Republican Primary

    Quote Originally Posted by Perotista View Post
    As promised

    I found this inside a PPP poll. Favorable ratings Independent Voters only:

    Name….Favorable Unfavorable Not Sure
    Christie……40%............28%............25%
    Hillary……..34%............55%............10%
    Cruz…………29%............38%............33%
    Paul………….40%...........33%............27%

    I am surprised to see Christie and Paul both have independents approving of them at 40%.

    But when it comes to voting in a match up there is both, all and independents only.
    All Christie 45% Hillary 42%.......Independents only Christie 49% Hillary 26%
    All Cruz 41% Hillary 49%............Independents only Cruz 43% Hillary 40%
    All Paul 43% Hillary 48%............Independents only Paul 47% Hillary 37%

    It looks like I may be wrong about independents. Here is the poll if anyone wants to go inside it.

    http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/p...ional_1218.pdf
    That looks like an outlier though. McClatchy/Marist, CNN, and Quinnipiac all have Clinton leading Cruz with independents by double digits. The previous PPP poll had Clinton up by 19 with them too.
    There should be Instant Runoff Voting

  9. #339
    Advisor The Prophet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    08-25-16 @ 06:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    425

    Re: 2016 Republican Primary

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ja View Post
    Gonna be tough for any republican right now to win the general election, unless they can pull some minority votes.. Rubio?

    That'll be really transparent to gather hispanic votes by nomninating Rubio. It's like saying, "Hey, so you don't agree with our platform, but we nominated a hispanic so..." That's a bit like saying, how can I be racist, I have a black friend? lol


    I don't think just by making one of them the poster boy for Republicanism (because it sure as hell isn't conservatism!) that it'll garner many, if any, votes.

  10. #340
    Advisor The Prophet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    08-25-16 @ 06:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    425

    Re: 2016 Republican Primary

    Quote Originally Posted by Perotista View Post
    Exactly. Even if Cruz is declared a natural born citizen, I think he might be able to win the Republican nomination, but not a general election.
    I think that would be an ideal general election matchup. Hillary and socialism vs Cruz and conservatism. Otherwise it would be Hillary and socialism vs <insert RINOS name here> and less socialism. Americans need a clear choice. Every 4 or 8 years we play ping pong between the 2 parties hoping for a change. When is the last time America had a genuine conservative candidate. Ohh, that's right, Raygun. And we all know how that election turned out!

    It would greatly behoove the GOP to nominate a conservative IF they want to win. While Hillary has name recognition going for her, she is still a liberal, and no country has ever taxed itself into prosperity and thrived by adopting progressive policies.

Page 34 of 42 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •