View Poll Results: REPUBLICANS ONLY PLEASE- YOUR TOP CHOICE FOR 2016 REPUBLICAN NOMINATION FOR PRESIDENT

Voters
168. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ted Cruz

    51 30.36%
  • Rand Paul

    50 29.76%
  • Marco Rubio

    2 1.19%
  • Mike Huckabee

    2 1.19%
  • Chris Christie

    18 10.71%
  • Rick Perry

    2 1.19%
  • Rick Santorum

    12 7.14%
  • Jon Huntsman

    12 7.14%
  • Paul Ryan

    4 2.38%
  • Other (Please specify)

    15 8.93%
Page 28 of 42 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast
Results 271 to 280 of 419

Thread: 2016 Republican Primary

  1. #271
    Guru

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:35 PM
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    2,942

    Re: 2016 Republican Primary

    Quote Originally Posted by NIMBY View Post
    Cruz will lose his Senate reelection in 2018 to one of the Castro brothers .
    The Castro brothers are slick, but not slick enough to hoodwink Texas. I'd expect to see them move to NM or AZ...

  2. #272
    Guru

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:35 PM
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    2,942

    Re: 2016 Republican Primary

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    When a so called joke goes flat it is the teller of the so called joke that needs to examine their delivery if not also the content.
    Says the one looking around wondering why everyone else is laughing.

  3. #273
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:52 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,589

    Re: 2016 Republican Primary

    Quote Originally Posted by FederalRepublic View Post
    Says the one looking around wondering why everyone else is laughing.
    Did I miss the election or poll where "everyone else" stood up and said that?
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  4. #274
    Clown Prince of Politics
    Psychoclown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Hiding from the voices in my head.
    Last Seen
    11-25-17 @ 12:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    1,738

    Re: 2016 Republican Primary

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Well, thank you for your opinion. Given I've seen VERY little from you during your time on this forum, and from what I've seen it's been largely stereotypical in nature, please forgive me if your opinion isn't enough to deter me from stating my admittedly far fetched but hopeful ticket.

    Christie, being a relatively adept politician from what I've seen of him thus far, would be someone I could see understanding and recognizing the benefit of utilizing the Vice Presidential nomination as a means of securing a subsection of the voting block and adding to your totals. With any election requiring one to take a strong base and add moderates/independents/crossover votes to that number, I would assume Christie would have the foresight to see the problems other top of the ticket politicians have had in terms of the base and turnout/support and would utilize the VP selection to shore that up. Additionally, Rand Paul's connection with his father can potentially prove a boon for libertarian minded voters and with youth voters.

    Is it LIKELY he'd pick Rand? Probably not, but I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility nor do I think it's an absolute given he'd pick someone with a legal background. A national election is a majorly different animal than a state election and I don't know how much stock I'd put in the potential personnel choices he's made then (if he even really CHOOSES a running mate, which I'm not familiar with how that works in NJ but I know here in VA it isn't the case generally).
    I agree with you that what someone does in a state election, isn't necessarily going to carry over to a national election. In a blue state like New Jersey, Christie can't afford to be seen as too far right, so moderates are going to be his likely running mates. On a national stage, Christie has the opposite issue. He can't be seen as too moderate by the base, so he's far more likely to nominate someone who can keep in the base loyal without alienating the moderates and centrists he'll need. He's smart enough to realize this and would likely pick someone who will play well to the right.

    That said, I do have strong doubts that it would every be Paul. They seem to have very striking differences on foreign policy. After Paul made his filibuster about drones, Christie came out saying that libertarian views on foreign policy were dangerous. What I've heard from Christie makes me think he's a staunch neoconservative. I can't see him wanting a non-interventionist like Paul, nor can I see Paul being willing to go with Christie. But you never know. Politics do make strange bedfellows.
    Slipping into madness is good for the sake of comparison - Unknown.

  5. #275
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,937

    Re: 2016 Republican Primary

    Quote Originally Posted by Tothian View Post
    I do not like hearing that "newby" talk just because you have been on "this" forum for 8 years and were given moderator status and think that means that any new person to this forum's opinion doesn't matter against your's - if you really feel that way then perhaps don't welcome the idea of allowing new people in here.
    I have no problem with new people and welcome them. However, I do have issue with anyone who tries to talk down to me through the presentation of their opinion as fact as you did with the "you do know" start and proceeding to claim there was "no way" Rand would be picked.

    My comment in terms of your newness was based on your statement. I was suggesting that someone whose opinion I have learned to respect over a period of time interacting with them...be it on this forum, in real life, etc...could speak in the way you just did and proclaim their opinion as fact and I may give it some credence because they've shown a history of their opinions being solid and credible. I have no basis on which to weigh your opinion outside of this thread, because you're new. This isn't a slight on newness, but rather stating a fact in terms of the immediete information present to form an opinion.

    Over time I may come to actually respect and put value in your opinion, and as such a comment like you made would not have such a negative response from me. HOWEVER, at this point in time, I have not had anywhere near sufficient interaction with you to garner such an opinion.

    Hope that clears that portion up a bit.

    I am not stereotypical (at least not entirely) but then again I'm not perfect. I have my beliefs that I feel very strongly about. People are required to stand up and fight for what they believe in - even if they disagree. You can disagree with me and I can still respect you. I can enjoy disagreements and debates - after that, that's what this forum is about, no?
    Absolutely.

    You may not be stereotypical in your views, however from this thread thus far you've seemed like a typical social tea partier. Nothing wrong with that, but at the same time it shades the things you say. Perhaps over time my perception may change, but that's all that I had seen from you up to the point where you talked down to me and threw my point based on opinion presented as fact.

    Anyway - Reagan who was a conservative chose a moderate in 1980 (and again in 1984) - and in the lead up to the 1976 GOP National Convention - actually announced that if nominated, that a liberal Republican U.S. Senator from Pennsylvania named Richard Schweiker would have been his running mate - which likely hurt his chances there - but anyway, I do not normally see moderates picking conservative running mates.
    Paul Ryan was widely heralded by the Tea Party prior to...well, pretty much the past few months...and was selected by Romney. Sarah Palin is still BELOVED by many of the socially conservative tea party supports and was chosen by McCain. George W. Bush was considered the "Conservative" option in that particular republican primary, so would not really fit the bill.

    Both of the last two "moderate" Republicans nominees have selected individuals well liked and thought to be strongly conservative by the base at the time of the selections.

    I don't think Christie is a good choice. He supports Gun Control & NSA Spying.
    My take on the NSA spying is actually one that follows along a message George Bush had for the candidates in 2008. Paraphrased...be careful what promises you make now because you aren't seeing what I see yet. This type of thing has been carried on in some fashion under Presidents on both sides of the aisle and under congresses controlled fully by each part. Does it bother me? Yes, it does. However, I'm leery to take a strong stance on it because its the type of thing I simply recognize I can't possibly make a fully well informed decision on. It's also something that I think there's enough public problems with that it will continue to transition to a point that both serve our NatDef needs while being more reasonable towards privacy.

    In terms of Gun Control, I agree with you...it's an area I'm nervous about towards Christie. That said, because his views are less in line with mainstream Republicans that would be in teh House and/or Senate I'm less worried about the impact of his views there. Though in research, it defintely seems a mixed bag. It's fair to call him moderate, but probably not fair to call him liberal. You don't find many folks liberal on gun control getting this kind of article written about them by the NRA (LINK). I by no means think Christie is a perfect candidate, he has his issues. But I think the most important things for us in this country right now is getting our fiscal house in order and stimulating the economy and I believe he has the skills and ideological mindset to do that.

    Also, where we seem to split is in terms of electability. You seem to be more in the "Limbaugh Rule" camp...it's impossible to know the answer about electability, so vote for the most conservative and give it a go. I am more in the Buckley Rule" camp...I'm more in favor of getting the most conservative person (and particular, the most conservative on the issues I think are more important in a given election) that has a reasonable shot to win. Now, I'm probably a lot more lienent about reasonable shot than most Buckley Rule types....if it's a coin flip with a big conservative, and a sure thing with a moderate conservative, I don't mind the coin flip depending on the situation.

    I also think that all elections aren't equal. Primarying out a moderate Republican in a House race right now is a gamble to take even if the more conservative Loses. Primarying out a moderate Republican in the Senate for a seat typically held by Democrats and where we're either unlikely to win or lose the Senate by "playing it safe" is a worth while gamble. Right now, I don't know if 2016 and 4 more years of a Democratic presidency is a worth while gambling point.

    This was my issue with the government shutdown as well, and part of my issue with Cruz. I don't blame Republicans for going the shutdown route if they campaigned that they'd do everything in their power to stop Obamacare...they were trying to do what they were elected to do. HOWEVER, I think even going into that position was a stupid choice. Why? Because it's a poor gamble. It was like putting $1000 on a $13 on a routlette wheel...if you win, you win big, but the odds are MASSIVELY stacked against you. There was VERY little real chance that they were going to stop Obamacare with a shutdown and all the reasons in the world to believe that the population would in large part blame the republicans more than the Democrats for the shutdown. It was also a HORRIBLE move fiscally in the end, at a time when we're supposed to be worried about getting our fiscal house in order. It was a POOR gamble in the name of ideology that ended up with a result that not only didn't reach its intended result but ALSO did damage to things we'd ideologically care about.

    I do'nt mind a little gamble in my Presidential elections...I have a significant issue with a big gamble. And an inexperienced Senator whose beloved by the base but is unpopular with pretty much everyone else and is the FACE of the shutdown which was wildly unpopular and unlikely to be completely forgotten in at least one swing state is someone, at this time, I'd consider a big gamble. There's time between now and 2016, but that's my view at the moment.

  6. #276
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,937

    Re: 2016 Republican Primary

    Quote Originally Posted by Psychoclown View Post
    That said, I do have strong doubts that it would every be Paul. They seem to have very striking differences on foreign policy. After Paul made his filibuster about drones, Christie came out saying that libertarian views on foreign policy were dangerous. What I've heard from Christie makes me think he's a staunch neoconservative. I can't see him wanting a non-interventionist like Paul, nor can I see Paul being willing to go with Christie. But you never know. Politics do make strange bedfellows.
    And I agree that Rand wouldn't seem like an obvious candidate given some of their differences, etc. I guess I put more stock in Christie being a deft politician over some of their differences, and I think Rand is intelligent enough and pramgatic enough compared to his father to see the benefit of taking such a position. It also wouldn't be the first time where a candidate pick someone that many would've never guessed would've been a fit...see Sarah Palin in 2008.

    Strangely, Palin in 2008 would be similar to why I'd like to see Rand in 2016...I would just pray that the campaign not bungle the situation like they did in 2008

  7. #277
    Advisor Tothian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    New Jersey, United States
    Last Seen
    06-10-17 @ 04:26 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    553

    Re: 2016 Republican Primary

    Quote Originally Posted by Psychoclown View Post
    I agree with you that what someone does in a state election, isn't necessarily going to carry over to a national election. In a blue state like New Jersey, Christie can't afford to be seen as too far right, so moderates are going to be his likely running mates. On a national stage, Christie has the opposite issue. He can't be seen as too moderate by the base, so he's far more likely to nominate someone who can keep in the base loyal without alienating the moderates and centrists he'll need. He's smart enough to realize this and would likely pick someone who will play well to the right.

    That said, I do have strong doubts that it would every be Paul. They seem to have very striking differences on foreign policy. After Paul made his filibuster about drones, Christie came out saying that libertarian views on foreign policy were dangerous. What I've heard from Christie makes me think he's a staunch neoconservative. I can't see him wanting a non-interventionist like Paul, nor can I see Paul being willing to go with Christie. But you never know. Politics do make strange bedfellows.
    There is a lot of bitterness between Christie and Paul.

    The most conservative elected official I have seen Christie openly embrace is Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker.

  8. #278
    Advisor Tothian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    New Jersey, United States
    Last Seen
    06-10-17 @ 04:26 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    553

    Re: 2016 Republican Primary

    52 voted.

    Rand Paul 32%
    Jon Huntsman 17%
    Chris Christie 17%
    Ted Cruz 11%
    Mike Huckabee 1%
    Rick Perry 1%
    Paul Ryan 1%
    Rob Portman 1%

  9. #279
    Jedi Master
    Captain America's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,647

    Re: 2016 Republican Primary

    Oh my. Rand Paul leads the poll.

    Hello President Hillary.

    It's GREAT to be me. --- "45% liberal/55% conservative"
    Diplomacy is the art of saying 'nice doggy" until you can find a gun.

  10. #280
    Advisor Tothian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    New Jersey, United States
    Last Seen
    06-10-17 @ 04:26 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    553

    Re: 2016 Republican Primary

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain America View Post
    Oh my. Rand Paul leads the poll.

    Hello President Hillary.
    You're using the name of my favorite fictional superhero and you dare to say something so foolish? Do you hate America that much or do you think that many Americans are too foolish or that they hate America too?

    Rand Paul is one of the few Senators who stand up to corrupted washington elite of single digit approval rating Congress. Rand Paul defends freedom. Hillary Clinton does not care about your freedom. She will take more power for herself. Every time she has ever been given a position of power, she is known for consistent ethics violations and then trying to cover it up - every single time.

    If you nominate Christie, he will lose.

    If you nominate Ted Cruz or Rand Paul, they will win. Because they will inspire the conservative base.

    Hillary Clinton is also old and unhealthy and had a brain aneurism before leaving office as Secretary of State. People are tired of hearing her name already.

    People think conservatives can't win in general elections but they said the same thing about Ronald Reagan. Just wait until the general election debates. Rand Paul would own Hillary Clinton.

Page 28 of 42 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •