View Poll Results: Edward Snowden... today.

Voters
92. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hero

    40 43.48%
  • Traitor

    25 27.17%
  • Somewhere in-between (please elaborate)

    27 29.35%
Page 4 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 272

Thread: Edward Snowden... today.

  1. #31
    Iconoclast
    DaveFagan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    wny
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:37 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,307

    Re: Edward Snowden... today.

    Quote Originally Posted by OldWorldOrder View Post
    lol hero worship. Why did he go to Hong Kong, again?
    Bubbles, me darlin', it's because he was not a fool, perhaps you should try to follow his example. Witness Manning and the Apache helo murders, Julian Assange and the phony sex charges, Guantanamo and no home to go to, and the prosecution of patriotic whistleblowers and he obviously made the correct decision. Ask the CIA whistle blower that blew in Abu Ghraib. Ask Ciriaciou (sp). It's not favorable to your health to embarrass the "control (convict small ugly troll)" group.

  2. #32
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:08 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,432

    Re: Edward Snowden... today.

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    1) No. I am claiming that the law was not broken. It may well be an unconstitutional law, as many are, including gun control laws. Setting a precedent that one's "strong personal belief" that a law is unconstitutional means that breaking that law is OK is not a wise idea.

    2) In your opinion he was justified in releasing classified information that you deem to be harmless, or even his patriotic duty, because you were not aware of it. If you and folks of like mind are on his jury then his breaking of the law can be nullified by the jury.
    I value and respect your opinion on most posts and subjects, but on this particular subject I think you're giving our government way more credit than it deserves for being able to police itself.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  3. #33
    Sage
    OldWorldOrder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    10-12-15 @ 12:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,820

    Re: Edward Snowden... today.

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveFagan View Post
    Bubbles, me darlin', it's because he was not a fool, perhaps you should try to follow his example. Witness Manning and the Apache helo murders, Julian Assange and the phony sex charges, Guantanamo and no home to go to, and the prosecution of patriotic whistleblowers and he obviously made the correct decision. Ask the CIA whistle blower that blew in Abu Ghraib. Ask Ciriaciou (sp). It's not favorable to your health to embarrass the "control (convict small ugly troll)" group.
    lol that's what you think? He goes to China and Russia and you think that's a coincidence? Wow.
    The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected.
    -GK Chesterton

  4. #34
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:08 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,432

    Re: Edward Snowden... today.

    Quote Originally Posted by OldWorldOrder View Post
    If you think he didn't share things- much more than has been made public- with the Chinese and Russians, you're so gullible. Circumstantial evidence would indicate that was his goal- the entire point of what he did.

    Now, if you don't care about treason, then no biggie.
    From what I have seen there is no circumstantial evidence whatsoever that he shared his info with them. I'm sure they wanted him to, and I really have no doubt it was mentioned by them, but there is no evidence suggesting he did. He may have shared, he may not have, but just being there is not evidence of any kind.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  5. #35
    Sage
    OldWorldOrder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    10-12-15 @ 12:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,820

    Re: Edward Snowden... today.

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    From what I have seen there is no circumstantial evidence whatsoever that he shared his info with them. I'm sure they wanted him to, and I really have no doubt it was mentioned by them, but there is no evidence suggesting he did. He may have shared, he may not have, but just being there is not evidence of any kind.
    I think you mean hard evidence. There's plenty of circumstantial evidence. If there were any hard evidence, though, that would be classified for obvious reasons.

    Maybe some heroic patriot can release that, too, since people just love leaking classified information.
    The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected.
    -GK Chesterton

  6. #36
    Iconoclast
    DaveFagan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    wny
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:37 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,307

    Re: Edward Snowden... today.

    Quote Originally Posted by OldWorldOrder View Post
    I think you mean hard evidence. There's plenty of circumstantial evidence. If there were any hard evidence, though, that would be classified for obvious reasons.

    Maybe some heroic patriot can release that, too, since people just love leaking classified information.
    Another bubble from the "Missing link" hisself. "Heroes" to you are "what a guy does in a boat."

  7. #37
    Professor
    SBu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Washington State
    Last Seen
    01-18-16 @ 03:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    1,523

    Re: Edward Snowden... today.

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Edward Snowden... today. (15 December 2013)

    Now that some time has passed, and we have had a chance to view some of the ramifications of his actions, and how the government has reacted, how do you view Edward Snowden today?

    Hero? Traitor? Somewhere in between?

    Does your view of him today vary from your initial view after he first released documents?
    I view Snowden today as I've always viewed him. I sniveling shell of a man, hipster douche bag. In other words, a traitor (on par with the Army guy/gal that release info to wikileaks). That being said, what has been revealed is important and should have come out. It is a matter that deserves discussion and the sanitizing effect of the light of day. The problem is, it's not what you say, but how you say it. The information he has revealed was done so as he was on the run to HK, then Russia. Are these the actions of a hero? No. Also, the information has been released haphazardly with the intention to damage the standing of the US internationally. Again, not the actions of a patriot hero. On the scale of traitor to hero, I find him just a couple ticks to the right of traitor (close to full out traitor), the only mitigating factor being the domestic information disclosed.

  8. #38
    Sage
    OldWorldOrder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    10-12-15 @ 12:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,820

    Re: Edward Snowden... today.

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveFagan View Post
    Another bubble from the "Missing link" hisself. "Heroes" to you are "what a guy does in a boat."
    This post made no sense
    The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected.
    -GK Chesterton

  9. #39
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,677

    Re: Edward Snowden... today.

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    I value and respect your opinion on most posts and subjects, but on this particular subject I think you're giving our government way more credit than it deserves for being able to police itself.
    I agree that the gov't will never police itself, that is why we have (had?) the constitution. The problem, as I see it, is that the extra constitutional power taken by the federal gov't (mostly) is still in full force. Shining a light does not eliminate roaches, it simply causes them to briefly seek cover.

    Our nine robed umpires were not granted the power to toss penalty flags. So long as the POTUS (and by extension the entire executive branch below them) is immune from prosecution, they have unlimited power. The only real check on that executive power is impeachment but, for that to be effective, it requires the House to bring charges and the Senate to convict - I see no hope of that happening given the current mindset of our congress critters.

    All that a whistle blower can do is to shine a light on the executive roaches, it still requires the other branches of gov't to act as the exterminator.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  10. #40
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:08 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,432

    Re: Edward Snowden... today.

    Quote Originally Posted by SBu View Post
    I view Snowden today as I've always viewed him. I sniveling shell of a man, hipster douche bag. In other words, a traitor (on par with the Army guy/gal that release info to wikileaks). That being said, what has been revealed is important and should have come out. It is a matter that deserves discussion and the sanitizing effect of the light of day. The problem is, it's not what you say, but how you say it. The information he has revealed was done so as he was on the run to HK, then Russia. Are these the actions of a hero? No. Also, the information has been released haphazardly with the intention to damage the standing of the US internationally. Again, not the actions of a patriot hero. On the scale of traitor to hero, I find him just a couple ticks to the right of traitor (close to full out traitor), the only mitigating factor being the domestic information disclosed.
    I view going to Hong Kong and Russia as simply self-preservation. There were few options and he had to take what he could get.

    It astounds me that staying in the US, and essentially being hidden away in secret and thus lost to public consciousness, is viewed by anybody as a better option.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

Page 4 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •