View Poll Results: Edward Snowden... today.

Voters
92. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hero

    40 43.48%
  • Traitor

    25 27.17%
  • Somewhere in-between (please elaborate)

    27 29.35%
Page 15 of 28 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 272

Thread: Edward Snowden... today.

  1. #141
    Professor
    iacardsfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Last Seen
    11-24-17 @ 09:51 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,981

    Re: Edward Snowden... today.

    Quote Originally Posted by OldWorldOrder View Post
    hahahaha

    okay, many legal scholars (federal judges, that's what they are) disagree with you.

    You just don't like it. Oh well.
    Is this judge just butt hurt too? Judge: NSA phone program likely unconstitutional - Josh Gerstein - POLITICO.com
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals."
    - Mark Twain
    Run your own nation, play Cybernations.

  2. #142
    Pragmatic Idealist
    upsideguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Rocky Mtn. High
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,104

    Re: Edward Snowden... today.

    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelJR View Post
    At one point in time, he took an oath.

    His oath went a little something like this:

    I, [name], do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter. So help me God

    He upheld that oath. For that, he's a hero (and he has more testicular fortitude than most). He has no allegiance to the government, just the American people and the constitution. "We the people".
    I don't think he ever took that oath. He worked for Booz Allen, not the US government. He would have signed a non-disclosure...

  3. #143
    Sage
    Unitedwestand13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Sunnyvale California
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    14,973

    Re: Edward Snowden... today.

    i don't know what to think.

    on the one hand he is a hero for revealing the NSA's secrets. Yet i cannot honestly call him a hero because he fled to another country to avoid being caught. if he was proud of what he did, why did he run away instead of allowing himself to be caught?
    "If you can't stand the way this place is, Take yourself to higher places!"
    Break, By Three days grace

    Hilliary Clinton/Tim Kaine 2016

  4. #144
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Melbourne Florida
    Last Seen
    04-18-17 @ 03:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    16,763

    Re: Edward Snowden... today.

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Edward Snowden... today. (15 December 2013)

    Now that some time has passed, and we have had a chance to view some of the ramifications of his actions, and how the government has reacted, how do you view Edward Snowden today?

    Hero? Traitor? Somewhere in between?

    Does your view of him today vary from your initial view after he first released documents?
    Traitor, straight up no argument about it.

  5. #145
    On Vacation
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:48 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    31,568
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Edward Snowden... today.

    Quote Originally Posted by CRUE CAB View Post
    Traitor, straight up no argument about it.
    As you say, nothing, ,absolutely nothing, is more dangerous to a Democracy than truth.

  6. #146
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where I am now
    Last Seen
    09-11-17 @ 03:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,386

    Re: Edward Snowden... today.

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    My view hasn't changed since it happened, I've just gotten more and more respect for him as time went along. He's a hero and deserves a medal and our undying admiration. Our government needs to be kept on a tight leash. They think that they can do whatever the hell they want and violate our constitution, and he brought those instances to light.

    Defending the constitution and the American people at the peril of tyrannical leaders can never be treason.
    Well said...could not agree more.

    And the great thing is that he apparently has a LOT more information that he could release.

    I originally thought he was brave and probably a hero...but I was not sure.

    Now I am convinced...he is DEFINITELY a hero.

    He risked his life, his freedom and blew up his cozy world to help the World see the truth...what is not heroic about that?

    And to those who don't think he is a hero...a) the question is rhetorical and b) I don't really care what you think anyway.

  7. #147
    Sage
    Gaius46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,479

    Re: Edward Snowden... today.

    Quote Originally Posted by Unitedwestand13 View Post
    i don't know what to think.

    on the one hand he is a hero for revealing the NSA's secrets. Yet i cannot honestly call him a hero because he fled to another country to avoid being caught. if he was proud of what he did, why did he run away instead of allowing himself to be caught?
    I really can't blame a guy for not tossing himself on his funeral pyre. What purpose is served by spending the rest of his life in jail? From his perspective he forever be a man without a country and reviled by half of his former countrymen. Assuming his motives were mostly pure that's a pretty serious price to pay in and of itself.

    I'm similarly conflicted. Government should be as transparent as possible and when keeping secrets should err on the side of more disclosure and not less, our government pretty much classifies everything. Despite that and despite the fact that I think he's overall done us a service I have a hard time feeling good with a low level guy like him essentially making national security decisions on his own.
    Don't be a grammar nazi - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 1 #7

  8. #148
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where I am now
    Last Seen
    09-11-17 @ 03:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,386

    Re: Edward Snowden... today.

    Quote Originally Posted by CRUE CAB View Post
    Traitor, straight up no argument about it.
    Come on now, don't be so hard on yourself.

    Sure, you seem to be for tyranny and a government to have too much power (not to mention the legal ability to murder ANY American it wants to without trial on the whim of the President)...a situation that will probably result in the very fabric of America'a greatness being slowly eroded in the name of cowardly fear.

    That sounds traitor-like in terms of betraying all that is good about America and her Constitution.

    But I would not call you a traitor.

    Misguided, naive and a trained minion maybe.

    But NOT a traitor.

  9. #149
    On Vacation
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:48 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    31,568
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Edward Snowden... today.

    Quote Originally Posted by Unitedwestand13 View Post
    i don't know what to think.

    on the one hand he is a hero for revealing the NSA's secrets. Yet i cannot honestly call him a hero because he fled to another country to avoid being caught. if he was proud of what he did, why did he run away instead of allowing himself to be caught?

    That is always the most bizarre of all reasoning on this topic.

    If George Washington, Thomas Jefferson and the rest were so certain they were right and proud of what they did, why didn't they turn themselves over to the British?

    If our cause was SO just in WWII, why didn't our soldiers surrender to the Japan and Germans?

    There is NO logic in your message whatsoever.

  10. #150
    On Vacation
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:48 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    31,568
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Edward Snowden... today.

    The truth frightens timid people. They don't want the truth. They want to be pacified and cajoled with nice fantasies.

Page 15 of 28 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •