View Poll Results: Judge Enforces Law: Did this judge rule right according to law and facts?

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    24 61.54%
  • No

    9 23.08%
  • I love Mashed Potatoes!

    12 30.77%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 166

Thread: Judge Enforces Law: Did this judge rule right according to law and facts?

  1. #101
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Judge Enforces Law: Did this judge rule right according to law and facts?

    Quote Originally Posted by Paschendale View Post
    So then your only defense against prejudice is popular opinion. Well what if prejudice is the popular opinion? What's your answer if Jim Crow isn't a law, but simply what people do? Keep in mind, before separate but equal, a lot of businesses simply wouldn't serve blacks at all. Whole segments of their own communities were closed to them. You're saying that's perfectly fine because there's no official law about it. That's extremely short sighted.
    You can't force people to believe a certain way, you can't make them not run their mouths, you can't force what they do with their property so long as they aren't infringing upon the rights of others. It's an artifact of freedom. People will do stupid crap, people will believe stupid crap, and we on whole must act intelligently enough to still affect the system. I'm not saying these actions are fine, but thought control is something that's not proper arena of government.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  2. #102
    On Vacation
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 03:32 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    31,568
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Judge Enforces Law: Did this judge rule right according to law and facts?

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    you show you do not even know the basics of what rights are about.

    your examples are health and safety reasons, which i already stated government can use force on.

    government can use force on crimes and health and safety.

    it cannot use force, becuase someone made you mad, sad, hurt your feelings, made you feel unwanted......emotion is not part of law.
    No, you don't. You have the bizarre theory that lack of food, housing, medical care etc denied because of race isn't a health and safety issue.

    HERE'S A CLUE. LOOK IT UP. Without food people die. I guess you didn't know that.

  3. #103
    Uncanny
    Paschendale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    03-31-16 @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    12,510

    Re: Judge Enforces Law: Did this judge rule right according to law and facts?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    You can't force people to believe a certain way, you can't make them not run their mouths, you can't force what they do with their property so long as they aren't infringing upon the rights of others. It's an artifact of freedom. People will do stupid crap, people will believe stupid crap, and we on whole must act intelligently enough to still affect the system. I'm not saying these actions are fine, but thought control is something that's not proper arena of government.
    So a person doesn't really have freedom in a place where the majority decides, unofficially, to oppress them? That's basically your point. That a town full of people can just decide not to rent homes to blacks, Jews, or gays? Because that's the popular opinion, it's completely acceptable? They can just run someone out of town? They shouldn't be required by law to rent to them regardless of the bigotry, hire them, sell them food, or anything? It's fine so long as they aren't using government power to hurt people? That's moronic. "We don't serve your kind here" is not what this country is about.
    Liberté. Égalité. Fraternité.

  4. #104
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: Judge Enforces Law: Did this judge rule right according to law and facts?

    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    No, you don't. You have the bizarre theory that lack of food, housing, medical care etc denied because of race isn't a health and safety issue.

    HERE'S A CLUE. LOOK IT UP. Without food people die. I guess you didn't know that.
    being offended is not in the constitution, laws are not based on emotion.

    you have no right to food, clothing, housing, water.

  5. #105
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    02-18-14 @ 08:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,660

    Re: Judge Enforces Law: Did this judge rule right according to law and facts?

    Quote Originally Posted by Paschendale View Post
    So a person doesn't really have freedom in a place where the majority decides, unofficially, to oppress them? That's basically your point. That a town full of people can just decide not to rent homes to blacks, Jews, or gays? Because that's the popular opinion, it's completely acceptable? They can just run someone out of town? They shouldn't be required by law to rent to them regardless of the bigotry, hire them, sell them food, or anything? It's fine so long as they aren't using government power to hurt people? That's moronic. "We don't serve your kind here" is not what this country is about.
    it happens in the senate every day

  6. #106
    Sage
    Kreton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Last Seen
    11-13-17 @ 08:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,118

    Re: Judge Enforces Law: Did this judge rule right according to law and facts?

    Colorado’s anti-discrimination laws in employment, housing and public accommodations prohibits such discrimination based on race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, creed, religion, disability (mental and physical), marital status (housing and public accommodations only), marriage to a co-worker (employment only), and age (employment only).
    Where in the anti discrimination laws does it state that a private business cannot refuse service to anyone he'd like on any grounds he wants? That is what bothers me about this. This man is being forced to provide his services to someone that he doesn't want to. Now I don't agree with his reasonings for not helping this couple, however, the government shouldn't be allowed to tell someone how to run their business like this.
    “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.”
    Stephen R. Covey


  7. #107
    Curmudgeon


    LowDown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Houston
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:07 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,539
    Blog Entries
    11

    Re: Judge Enforces Law: Did this judge rule right according to law and facts?

    Yes, it was a correct ruling.

    But I wonder if it would have been different if the bakers were Muslims.

    Or if the roles were reversed and the gay couple were the bakers and objected to heterosexual Christians.

    Regardless, it seems bad policy in general to buy food from people who hate you.

    "The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." --HL Mencken

  8. #108
    Guru
    WorldWatcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    11-25-17 @ 10:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,041

    Re: Judge Enforces Law: Did this judge rule right according to law and facts?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kreton View Post
    Where in the anti discrimination laws does it state that a private business cannot refuse service to anyone he'd like on any grounds he wants? That is what bothers me about this. This man is being forced to provide his services to someone that he doesn't want to. Now I don't agree with his reasonings for not helping this couple, however, the government shouldn't be allowed to tell someone how to run their business like this.
    COCODE

    Colorado Statute 24-34-601
    (2) It is a discriminatory practice and unlawful for a person, directly or indirectly, to refuse, withhold from, or deny to an individual or a group, because of disability, race, creed, color, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, national origin, or ancestry, the full and equal enjoyment of the goods, services, facilities, privileges, advantages, or accommodations of a place of public accommodation



    >>>>

  9. #109
    Guru
    WorldWatcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    11-25-17 @ 10:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,041

    Re: Judge Enforces Law: Did this judge rule right according to law and facts?

    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    Yes, it was a correct ruling.

    But I wonder if it would have been different if the bakers were Muslims.

    Or if the roles were reversed and the gay couple were the bakers and objected to heterosexual Christians.

    Regardless, it seems bad policy in general to buy food from people who hate you.

    Actually there was a case involving Muslim cab drivers a few years ago, had to do with them refusing fares at an airport (that required special permits) for people (a) they thought had been drinking, (b) were carrying any alcohol, (c) anyone with a pet dog, and (d) handicapped persons with service dogs.

    The same type of people that are today defending the baker are the same one blasted the Muslims saying they should be fired.


    >>>>

  10. #110
    Curmudgeon


    LowDown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Houston
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:07 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,539
    Blog Entries
    11

    Re: Judge Enforces Law: Did this judge rule right according to law and facts?

    Quote Originally Posted by WorldWatcher View Post
    Actually there was a case involving Muslim cab drivers a few years ago, had to do with them refusing fares at an airport (that required special permits) for people (a) they thought had been drinking, (b) were carrying any alcohol, (c) anyone with a pet dog, and (d) handicapped persons with service dogs.

    The same type of people that are today defending the baker are the same one blasted the Muslims saying they should be fired.


    >>>>
    So, what happened to the Muslims?

    I doubt the generalization is true. Can you provide us with a list of people who called for the Muslims to be fired yet defended the bakers?

    "The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." --HL Mencken

Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •