View Poll Results: Would you take a one way trip to Mars

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sign me up

    17 31.48%
  • Are you freamin insane?

    37 68.52%
Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 276

Thread: One way trip to Mars

  1. #21
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Colorado mountains
    Last Seen
    01-03-15 @ 08:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,729

    Re: One way trip to Mars

    There is nothing there.
    Only a fool would go.

  2. #22
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,362

    Re: One way trip to Mars

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    A one-way trip?
    Not sure about a one way trip, but we could definitely get there and come back.

    The biggest problem would be food and water, obviously. It would take some great tech advances, but hell, we went to the moon in under a decade. I believe we as a species have the grasp to do this within a reasonable amount of time. It's all about having the will to do this though, that's the big challenge.
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

  3. #23
    Sage


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    IL
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:30 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    36,837

    Re: One way trip to Mars

    If we can get to Mars, we can give me my internet ande satellite TV/radio sawyer..
    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    So that's a no.
    Physics is Phun

  4. #24
    Student lka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Left Coast
    Last Seen
    11-27-14 @ 10:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    264

    Re: One way trip to Mars

    We should make Obama the king of mars and get him up there to set stuff up ASAP!

    i'm NOT a liberal!

  5. #25
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    23,403

    Re: One way trip to Mars

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    I disagree, we have the tech to do it. Hopefully the will to do it will make it possible.
    We might have the tech but we don't have a planet that can be colonized. Mars is dead and has been for a billion years. It is too far from the sun, its atmosphere has been mostly lost into space. We would be better off planning a trip to the nearest Star with a suitable planet.

  6. #26
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,709

    Re: One way trip to Mars

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    Not sure about a one way trip, but we could definitely get there and come back.

    The biggest problem would be food and water, obviously. It would take some great tech advances, but hell, we went to the moon in under a decade. I believe we as a species have the grasp to do this within a reasonable amount of time. It's all about having the will to do this though, that's the big challenge.
    I see hype and little follow-through. What we have is a 35 year old promising the sky (even a television show), beyond what the most successful private and state attempts at space exploration are willing to attempt, with no explanation as to how they would accomplish this scheme. On top of that, they may have to fundraise up to 1 trillion dollars, an investment that would ordinarily strike as beyond ridiculous.
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  7. #27
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Colorado mountains
    Last Seen
    01-03-15 @ 08:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,729

    Re: One way trip to Mars

    Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman View Post
    We might have the tech but we don't have a planet that can be colonized. Mars is dead and has been for a billion years. It is too far from the sun, its atmosphere has been mostly lost into space. We would be better off planning a trip to the nearest Star with a suitable planet.
    Smartest answer so far.

  8. #28
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,362

    Re: One way trip to Mars

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    I see hype and little follow-through. What we have is a 35 year old promising the sky (even a television show), beyond what the most successful private and state attempts at space exploration are willing to attempt, with no explanation as to how they would accomplish this scheme. On top of that, they may have to fundraise up to 1 trillion dollars, an investment that would ordinarily strike as beyond ridiculous.
    I agree, when I say we, I'm talking about the species as a whole, not this on company. I think the government should be the ones backing endeavors like this. We'd be able to work out a lot of the kinks by colonizing the moon first.
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

  9. #29
    Discount Philosopher
    specklebang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Last Seen
    06-05-14 @ 08:26 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,524

    Re: One way trip to Mars

    It will require terraforming and those who say "there is nothing there" are getting their opinions© from ? Sheer negativity I think.

    This is for the bravest, boldest and most visionary. For most, a day without "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire" is a hardship condition.

  10. #30
    Haters gon' hate
    MarineTpartier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    01-04-16 @ 04:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,586
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: One way trip to Mars

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    I don't think I would do it, but human colonization on other worlds is a very important venture. I support this endeavor wholeheartedly and wish them all the luck in the world.
    Why?

    ..
    “Mr. Speaker, I once again find myself compelled to vote against the annual budget resolution for a very simple reason: it makes government bigger.” ― Ron Paul
    Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty. – Thomas Jefferson

Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •