View Poll Results: Would you take a one way trip to Mars

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sign me up

    17 31.48%
  • Are you freamin insane?

    37 68.52%
Page 23 of 28 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast
Results 221 to 230 of 276

Thread: One way trip to Mars

  1. #221
    On Vacation
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 03:32 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    31,568
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: One way trip to Mars

    A venture to Mars and bringing back material and the travelers also could destroy all life on earth. Below is on relevant link, but not the only claim that microscopic life and indications of it otherwise has been found in space.

    Life on Mars Found by NASA's Viking Mission?

    NOTHING more threatens human (and all) life than disease. Anyone who understand the environment in Florida understands the massive destructive damage an invasive species can cause. Nothing of earth and certainly humans shows evolved protection against alien microbes.

    So what if a mission to Mars and asteroids destroys every life form on earth? "Oh well, nothing ventured nothing gained?"

    IN FACT, since everyone keeps mentioning Columbus, IN FACT that exploration lead to taking diseases to where there was no evolved protection, literally genociding entire races - such as 100% of the human race in the entire Caribbean and much of the entire populations of South, Central and North America - and those were earth origins micro-organisms.

    Space is not a nice, forgiving place. Nor are invasive life forms.
    Last edited by joko104; 12-12-13 at 09:36 PM.

  2. #222
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-02-16 @ 01:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    28,659

    Re: One way trip to Mars

    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    They suspect Helium 3 is in the moon.
    Artemis Project: Lunar Helium-3 as an Energy Source, <br>in a nutshell
    Don't have to go to Mars for it. Nor is there a need for it now since such a reactor has not be successfully built.

    We can do "suppose ifs" forever. Suppose if we alter the course of an asteroid that causes a gravitational shift leading another massive asteroid to destroy all life on earth?

    Suppose as such massive funds are shifting to "wouldn't it be cool if..." stagnates other research of more likely results.

    To claim science is stagnate is absurd. Rather, I am reading Star Trekkie kindergarten science proposed to replace real scientific research that is just that, real.

    I already posted a link to it once. Even if we found an asteroid of pure gold and platinum, it is not economically viable for mining.

    Are you one of those people who has a contract that when you die they will quickly cut off your head and freeze it, with the prospect that in the future it could be defrosted, restarted and given a genetically lab created new body? "Nothing ventured, nothing gained." If not, just think if all of medical practice had instead taken your negative views?

    Just like I asks on military threads, you can NOT just say want you WANT. You also have to say what you GIVE UP to pay for it. Tell us in detail what Trillion+ dollars you want to take away from science for this, or is your's the ObamaCare plan of "BUT IT COSTS LESS IN THE LONG RUN" logic - the free money theory?

    We hear this "it saves in the long run!" crap all the time. Nuclear power for here - would save money in the long run, so they raised rates 25%, then another 25% for a few years to fix the busted old nuke and build 2 more - then announced it wasn't economically viable - so now that money is gone and it will take 60 YEARS to shutdown the old one at $1.2 BILLION - which of course will be $10 BILLION by the time we're done - and we're paying for that.

    SO... tell us the trillions plus dollars in scientific and technological development you would shut down for your plan. Be specific.

    BTW, there is fantastic amounts of mineral wealth at the bottom of the oceans. MUCH cheaper to get that. Why do you oppose doing that instead?

    Nor have you told any way to get massive amounts of material from space to earth economically or without potential massive environmental damage. With current and even realistic theory it can't be done. Fortunately for us, the atmosphere and earth's gravity is very "negative" towards stuff in space reaching land. If it didn't we'd all be dead.
    I'm sorry, but I simply don't understand all the hostility.

    There are people in this world who are willing to take risks that you won't. Why does this seem to bother you so much?

    Plenty of supposedly "impossible" things have been made workable by the efforts of devoted men and women. Even if their efforts fail, they are ultimately the ones history will remember. Not you.

    Ambition and aspiration should be respected, not scorned.

  3. #223
    On Vacation
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 03:32 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    31,568
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: One way trip to Mars

    Quote Originally Posted by Gathomas88 View Post
    I'm sorry, but I simply don't understand all the hostility.

    There are people in this world who are willing to take risks that you won't. Why does this seem to bother you so much?

    Plenty of supposedly "impossible" things have been made workable by the efforts of devoted men and women. Even if their efforts fail, they are ultimately the ones history will remember. Not you.

    Ambition and aspiration should be respected, not scorned.
    You responded to no actual tangible issues. Just now spouting generic slogans.

    Yes, there are plenty of people willing to risk destroying all life on earth for their project. Yes, there are plenty of people who think their idea must be done and everything else stopped to do it. People that fixate, brain fever, on one thing and that - only that - matters.

    Slogans are nothing, they are lazy thinking. Nothing else. I could list all sorts of really cool things to spend trillions on for the adventure of discovery. Adds up to nothing.

    Simple realities:
    1. The oceans, here, on Earth, are not 10% explored. They offer fabulous amounts of mineral resources and are essential to human life. The oceans are slowly dying. They die, we die. Much of our oxygen originates there, as does much of even land-based food.
    2. The Earth is not well managed in usage. Call it efficiency or call it harvesting, the same thing.

    Both those would be MASSIVE undertakings. To me, it is absurd to ignore and neglect scientific development towards Earth, while exploring a dead planet 35 million miles away as astronomical costs and in a manner just to have people walk on it because walking on Mars is cool. Not for a moment have you given ANY reason this can not be done more effectively, successfully, cheaply and permanently remotely by robotic probes.

    All you are writing is "wouldn't it be super cool if we put a space station on Mars" - and then you prove it with generic slogans that could be applied to any of a million potential ideas.

    And yes, I'm being hostile. I'm hostile to the climate change fanatics too. My response? "NO! ADDRESS THE ISSUE OF OUR OCEANS BEING POISONED AND KILLED FIRST!" But there are no big graft-bucks to be made at it, no taxes to be collected from it, and no mega-costly projects to skim money off of.

    My "hostility" is real in the sense of "take care of Earth first. Fully explore Earth first, before playing Buck Rogers and Captain Kirk."
    Last edited by joko104; 12-12-13 at 10:11 PM.

  4. #224
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Colorado mountains
    Last Seen
    01-03-15 @ 08:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,729

    Re: One way trip to Mars

    Quote Originally Posted by Gathomas88 View Post
    It worked out not only for him, but for Western Civilization in general, anyway. What's the problem?

    Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
    It didn't work out for the native Americans so good.
    He was a problem for them.

  5. #225
    On Vacation
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 03:32 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    31,568
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: One way trip to Mars

    Quote Originally Posted by Buck Ewer View Post
    It didn't work out for the native Americans so good.
    He was a problem for them.
    My guess is his response would be from the bag of generic slogans, like "no pain, no gain" or something like that.

  6. #226
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-02-16 @ 01:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    28,659

    Re: One way trip to Mars

    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    You responded to no actual tangible issues. Just now spouting generic slogans.

    Yes, there are plenty of people willing to risk destroying all life on earth for their project. Yes, there are plenty of people who think their idea must be done and everything else stopped to do it. People that fixate, brain fever, on one thing and that - only that - matters.

    Slogans are nothing, they are lazy thinking. Nothing else. I could list all sorts of really cool things to spend trillions on for the adventure of discovery. Adds up to nothing.

    Simple realities:
    1. The oceans, here, on Earth, are not 10% explored. They offer fabulous amounts of mineral resources and are essential to human life. The oceans are slowly dying. They die, we die. Much of our oxygen originates there, as does much of even land-based food.
    2. The Earth is not well managed in usage. Call it efficiency or call it harvesting, the same thing.

    Both those would be MASSIVE undertakings. To me, it is absurd to ignore and neglect scientific development towards Earth, while exploring a dead planet 35 million miles away as astronomical costs and in a manner just to have people walk on it because walking on Mars is cool. Not for a moment have you given ANY reason this can not be done more effectively, successfully, cheaply and permanently remotely by robotic probes.

    All you are writing is "wouldn't it be super cool if we put a space station on Mars" - and then you prove it with generic slogans that could be applied to any of a million potential ideas.

    And yes, I'm being hostile. I'm hostile to the climate change fanatics too. My response? "NO! ADDRESS THE ISSUE OF OUR OCEANS BEING POISONED AND KILLED FIRST!" But there are no big graft-bucks to be made at it, no taxes to be collected from it, and no mega-costly projects to skim money off of.

    My "hostility" is real in the sense of "take care of Earth first. Fully explore Earth first, before playing Buck Rogers and Captain Kirk."
    No one says that we cannot do both. Again, there is simply no reason for the hostility here.

    Why do you object so strongly to other people taking risks that you are either unwilling, or unable, to take yourself? It's doesn't affect you in the slightest one way or another.

    Frankly, your stodgy type makes up the majority in most societies anyway. The adventure prone are always a minority.

    Quote Originally Posted by Buck Ewer View Post
    It didn't work out for the native Americans so good.
    He was a problem for them.
    "**** happens."

    Your argument doesn't even make sense here anyway, as there is no one to oppress or exploit in space. It is virgin territory, free for the taking.

  7. #227
    Sage

    Mason66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,453

    Re: One way trip to Mars

    Quote Originally Posted by Gathomas88 View Post
    I'm sorry, but I find these kinds of attitudes patently hilarious. If everyone thought like this, we would've never even left Africa, let alone gone on to become the dominant species on this planet.

    When in the heck did we become a society of, for lack of a better word, "Hobbits?" Why's everyone so risk of adverse?

    Where's your sense of adventure, people!?
    The OP said this will happen in a couple of years.

    That would be a suicide mission. The technology isn't anywhere near ready to go, so yes my comments were accurate.

  8. #228
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Colorado mountains
    Last Seen
    01-03-15 @ 08:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,729

    Re: One way trip to Mars

    I like your point Joko about where are they willing to take the trillions from to pay for this pipe dream to mars. Scientific research? Healthcare? Defense? Food production?
    Just because they got a hard-on watching Star Trek as kids they think we have to go somewhere else, just because we can.
    To boldly go where no man... blah blah blah...while home planet needs some tender loving care right here right now.
    A colony in the Sahara would not need to bring air or cosmic ray protection and the trip and support missions there would be a tiny fraction of the cost. Who knows what we could learn about expanding the habitability of our home turf? Who knows what riches could be discovered at the bottom of the Marianas trench if we dared to dive that deep and take a really good look?
    But there is no sense in trying to teach pragmatism to the starry eyed science fantasy dreamers.
    They all want to beam up with Kirk and Spock...
    Last edited by Buck Ewer; 12-12-13 at 10:38 PM.

  9. #229
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-02-16 @ 01:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    28,659

    Re: One way trip to Mars

    Quote Originally Posted by Mason66 View Post
    The OP said this will happen in a couple of years.

    That would be a suicide mission. The technology isn't anywhere near ready to go, so yes my comments were accurate.
    If it's unrealistic, it won't happen. Again, I fail to see the problem.

    Quote Originally Posted by Buck Ewer View Post
    I like your point Joko about where are they willing to take the trillions from to pay for this pipe dream to mars. Scientific research? Healthcare? Defense? Food production?
    Who says that it has to be "taken" from anywhere? This is a private venture we are talking about here, not a public trust.

  10. #230
    Sage

    Mason66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,453

    Re: One way trip to Mars

    Quote Originally Posted by Buck Ewer View Post
    I like your point Joko about where are they willing to take the trillions from to pay for this pipe dream to mars. Scientific research? Healthcare? Defense? Food production?
    Just because they got a hard-on watching star trek as kids they think we have to go somewhere else, just because we can.
    To boldly go where no man... blah blah blah...while home planet needs some tender loving care right here right now.
    A colony in the Sahara would not need to bring air or cosmic ray protection and the trip there would be a tiny fraction of the cost. Who knows what we could learn about expanding our home turf?
    But there is no sense in trying to teach pragmatism to the starry eyed sci-fi dreamers.
    They all want to beam up with Kirk and Spock...
    You are right. Who knows what is under all that sand.

    Maybe somebody should find out

Page 23 of 28 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •