View Poll Results: Would you take a one way trip to Mars

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sign me up

    17 31.48%
  • Are you freamin insane?

    37 68.52%
Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 276

Thread: One way trip to Mars

  1. #101
    On Vacation
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    12-16-17 @ 04:30 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    31,569
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: One way trip to Mars

    What a great life plan. Losing their jobs, house being foreclosed, and no luck finding another, the husband excitedly explains to his wife and children his plan.

    He took the last of their money and bought a small sailboat plus supplies, including seeds, hunting and fishing gear. "We're going to head out!" he explains. Where to? "To find whatever is out there, the pioneer spirit. That has worked for others so many times in the past." So on Friday they are heading straight out to sea to find what's out there for them. To just keep going until they come to their future.

    Great plan to save his family, huh?

    Think his wife would let him put their children on that boat?

  2. #102
    Sage
    blackjack50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:05 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    25,393

    Re: One way trip to Mars

    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    Yes, about 6 months or so. What could people there, at astronomical costs, learn that a probe cannot?

    We BORE down into polar ice to learn the past. We don't build an elevator so people can go down there, do we?

    Would you favor that? To bore a 10 foot diameter hole and then build a bunker so scientists could live 500 feet under ice for 2 years to learn what boring down might miss? That is essentially what putting people on Mars would be doing.

    The deepest ocean dive in a manned craft was in 1960, over 5 decades ago. None have gone back because remote probes can not learn as much, but more.

    Why don't you advocate putting a manned station deep on the ocean bottom? They used to build those too decades ago, and found they served NO scientific purpose. Just cost piles of money and endangered lives. They also found people couldn't handle it for very long.
    About this "couldn't handle it." Do you know why Cortez burned his ships?
    The Crowd is not the sum of its parts.

  3. #103
    Sage
    blackjack50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:05 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    25,393

    Re: One way trip to Mars

    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    What a great life plan. Losing their jobs, house being foreclosed, and no luck finding another, the husband excitedly explains to his wife and children his plan.

    He took the last of their money and bought a small sailboat plus supplies, including seeds, hunting and fishing gear. "We're going to head out!" he explains. Where to? "To find whatever is out there, the pioneer spirit. That has worked for others so many times in the past." So on Friday they are heading straight out to sea to find what's out there for them. To just keep going until they come to their future.

    Great plan to save his family, huh?

    Think his wife would let him put their children on that boat?
    Good thing people did put their children on that boat right? We got a pretty good thing going over here.
    The Crowd is not the sum of its parts.

  4. #104
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where I am now
    Last Seen
    09-11-17 @ 03:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,386

    Re: One way trip to Mars

    If the colony will be zero gravity - forget it. The human body does not like long term life in zero g.

    If there will be Earth-style gravity...I'm interested. Not ready to sign yet though...TONS of questions first.

  5. #105
    On Vacation
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    12-16-17 @ 04:30 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    31,569
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: One way trip to Mars

    Quote Originally Posted by stonewall50 View Post
    The odds of another inhabitable planet existing is nearly 100%...and then you must include moons as well (which more exist than planets).


    The odds of their being alternative realities is 100%. In fact, alternative reality is over twice the mass of our reality. So why not go there instead? It is just as possible/impossible and certainly would discover more.

  6. #106
    Educator Uncensored2008's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    06-02-15 @ 01:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    655

    Re: One way trip to Mars

    I thought this would be a poll on whether we should send OBAMA on a one way trip to Mars......

  7. #107
    On Vacation
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    12-16-17 @ 04:30 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    31,569
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: One way trip to Mars

    One snail on the equator to another snail:

    "We're being slaughtered! The birds, bugs, everything is eating us. But I've learned there is a place called the North Pole. There are no birds or bugs or anything else that that eats snails there. So let's get going to the North Pole right now! The survival of the snail race depends on it."

  8. #108
    Student lka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Left Coast
    Last Seen
    11-27-14 @ 10:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    264

    Re: One way trip to Mars

    Quote Originally Posted by Uncensored2008 View Post
    I thought this would be a poll on whether we should send OBAMA on a one way trip to Mars......
    Oh I agree, I think Obama would make a great god of Mars king of mars whatever you want to call it, he can do all his hope and change up there, there are already no jobs on Mars so he won't have to work at raising the unemployment. We could send all the Socialists and Communists up there for Obama to lead and to help create liberal utopia us liberals want so badly.

    i'm NOT a liberal!

  9. #109
    Sage
    blackjack50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:05 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    25,393

    One way trip to Mars

    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    The odds of their being alternative realities is 100%. In fact, alternative reality is over twice the mass of our reality. So why not go there instead? It is just as possible/impossible and certainly would discover more.
    So you do not believe that in a galaxy of billions of stars...and outside of that galaxy are billions more galaxies...that would literally account for over BILLIONS OR TRILLIONS of planets on which life could be sustained? Please tell me you are joking right? And we aren't even talking about "intelligent life." We are talking about just the ability to SUSTAIN life.
    The Crowd is not the sum of its parts.

  10. #110
    Sage
    blackjack50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:05 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    25,393

    Re: One way trip to Mars

    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    One snail on the equator to another snail:

    "We're being slaughtered! The birds, bugs, everything is eating us. But I've learned there is a place called the North Pole. There are no birds or bugs or anything else that that eats snails there. So let's get going to the North Pole right now! The survival of the snail race depends on it."
    Again. Very glad you are not in charge of any scientific research.
    The Crowd is not the sum of its parts.

Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •