View Poll Results: What do you think of obama's selfie

Voters
84. You may not vote on this poll
  • Rude, childish, egotistical behavior

    35 41.67%
  • No big deal, nice pic

    49 58.33%
Page 30 of 33 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 ... LastLast
Results 291 to 300 of 323

Thread: Obama's selfie

  1. #291
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,115

    Re: Obama's selfie

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    So it is all about you?
    If it is me responding to a poll question asking what my opinion is, yes.

    If it is giving a Eulogy, no.

    There is a rather sharp distinction between those two things. I realize you are trying to say that I was blowing the Presidents' continual self-absorption out of context by referencing it, but the argument you are attempting to bring to bear here to do so is fail.


    H.W. Bush used to go through his speeches after final drafting and perform what he called an "I-Ectomy". He would remove all the "I"s, unless the sentence was him accepting responsibility for something that had gone wrong. It is extremely unlikely it would occur to our current President that doing so would even be advantageous.

  2. #292
    Sage
    Visbek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:38 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,017

    Re: Obama's selfie

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    All fine points, except BI is a CT caliber blog.
    There's nothing wrong (or partisan) about the BI article. The AP is pissed off at the White House for freezing out photojournalists; it's been going on for awhile, and the press has been trying to call the White House on it for awhile.

  3. #293
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,400

    Re: Obama's selfie

    Quote Originally Posted by Visbek View Post
    There's nothing wrong (or partisan) about the BI article.
    Just like sometimes there's (supposedly) nothing wrong about PressTV articles. It's still an unreliable and, frankly, embarrassing source. It weakened your argument.

  4. #294
    Sage
    Visbek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:38 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,017

    Re: Obama's selfie

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    If I was going to talk about egotistical behavior, I would point out that Obama's speech mentioned himself 14 times, and Mandela only 8 times, before I complained about this.
    Then apparently you didn't actually hear (or read) the speech.

    Here's a transcript: Nelson Mandela memorial service: Transcript of President Barack Obama's speech - NY Daily News

    Almost all of it is talking about and praising Mandela. The only part where Obama talks about himself is to say that Mandela was an inspiration, and that he benefitted from Mandela's struggles. Characterizing that speech as though it was the rantings of an egomaniac is patently ridiculous.

  5. #295
    Sage
    Visbek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:38 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,017

    Re: Obama's selfie

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Just like sometimes there's (supposedly) nothing wrong about PressTV articles. It's still an unreliable and, frankly, embarrassing source. It weakened your argument.
    Dude, there's a dozen sources for this, from all across the political spectrum.

    White House Fights Charges of ‘Orwellian’ Tactics From the News Media | TheBlaze.com
    http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/12/op...e-control.html
    Reporters Revolt Over White House Press Access - ABC News
    White House press corps, Jay Carney spar over access | AL.com
    No Obama Selfies in Official White House Slideshow - Washington Wire - WSJ
    White House faces press revolt over access to Obama's South Africa flight - Washington Times
    Obama boycott: Major US news outlets refuse to use White House photos ? RT USA
    Why Photographers Need More Access In The White House - LightBox
    WH Press Corps Goes Off on Carney over Press Access | National Review Online
    Newsroom protests against White House spread | Fox News

    So no, there's nothing wrong with citing Business Insider (or the NY Times or Fox news) on this issue. There is no question that the Obama White House is doing more than any other president to control his image by restricting access. And the reality is that even the President of the most powerful nation in the world cannot categorically stop every photographer on the planet from taking his picture, and publishing the images.

    I.e. the WH didn't screw up. The real issue is that partisans (of any stripe) look for any reason to smack-talk "The Other Guy," even about the most trivial things imaginable.

  6. #296
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,400

    Re: Obama's selfie

    Quote Originally Posted by Visbek View Post
    So no, there's nothing wrong with citing Business Insider (or the NY Times or Fox news) on this issue.
    You obviously do not realize that BI is a fraud. It's like using Alex Jones or PressTV, not NYT, Fox, MSNBC or even Huffington/TownHall. Your post was solid until you defiled it by citing trash. Just sayin'

  7. #297
    Professor

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 03:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    1,321

    Re: Obama's selfie

    So now we are complaining about pictures?

    Geez. Man I feel sorry for the next republican POTUS. That M.F better walk on water.

    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "If you don't want your tax dollars to help the poor, then stop saying you want a country based on Christian values, because you don't." Jimmy Carter

  8. #298
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,115

    Re: Obama's selfie

    Quote Originally Posted by Visbek View Post
    Then apparently you didn't actually hear (or read) the speech.

    Here's a transcript: Nelson Mandela memorial service: Transcript of President Barack Obama's speech - NY Daily News

    Almost all of it is talking about and praising Mandela. The only part where Obama talks about himself is to say that Mandela was an inspiration, and that he benefitted from Mandela's struggles. Characterizing that speech as though it was the rantings of an egomaniac is patently ridiculous.
    Rantings? I never claimed such - I simply point out that it is a better example of egotistical behavior than the picture in the OP.

    However, as to the Speech - you are correct, the vast majority of it is simply what you should say. But I'm sorry, but no. Nelson Mandela leading South Africa through Reconciliation is not on the same historical trendline as your decision to pivot to talking about income inequality.


    Agreeably both are small potatoes - there are far better examples of the presidents' egotism. I hold them up (again) mainly as superior examples to the OP.
    Last edited by cpwill; 12-13-13 at 12:35 AM.

  9. #299
    Sage
    Visbek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:38 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,017

    Re: Obama's selfie

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    Rantings? I never claimed such - I simply point out that it is a better example of egotistical behavior than the picture in the OP.
    You're "pointing it out" based on a deeply flawed grammatical analysis. Obama wasn't talking about himself, except to the extent that he was inspired by Mandela -- and that was a very small part of the speech. Accusing Obama of being "egotistical" because of that speech makes no sense.


    However, as to the Speech - you are correct, the vast majority of it is simply what you should say.
    The overwhelming majority of Obama's speech was talking about Mandela. Obama was not praising himself, he did not spend the entire speech talking about himself -- as you suggested with your bizarre analysis based not on the content of the speech, but on counting pronouns.


    But I'm sorry, but no. Nelson Mandela leading South Africa through Reconciliation is not on the same historical trendline as your decision to pivot to talking about income inequality.
    But I'm sorry, but yes, it's very clear that you're determined to find fault in the most trivial of matters. Obama mentioned inequality in one line of a eulogy, for a leader of a nation with one of the highest rates of income inequality in the world. Was it "egotistical" of Obama to say that "we, too must act on behalf of justice" ? Or "we will never see the likes of Mandela again" ? Or "I will always fall short of Madiba's example" ?

  10. #300
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,115

    Re: Obama's selfie

    Quote Originally Posted by Visbek View Post
    But I'm sorry, but yes, it's very clear that you're determined to find fault in the most trivial of matters.
    Nevermind. Pot, meet Kettle.

Page 30 of 33 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •