View Poll Results: Who do you generally believe

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • Him

    2 33.33%
  • Her

    4 66.67%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: He said, She said

  1. #1
    Sage
    Kreton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Last Seen
    11-13-17 @ 08:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,118

    He said, She said

    On a sports forum a bunch of people are discussing this case with Jameis Winston possibly raping a girl. Apparently there is no evidence other than the fact that they had sex, and she states that it was rape. In many rape cases it comes down to a he said, she said type thing. He says it was consensual, she says it wasn't.

    Now I am not asking about this case specifically, but rather just using it as an example, who do you tend to believe in these cases? The easy answer I saw is not enough evidence means not guilty. However, if a guy and girl are alone and he wants to go further than her, not a ton of evidence is going to exist.
    “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.”
    Stephen R. Covey


  2. #2
    Sage
    AliHajiSheik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,385

    Re: He said, She said

    I don't generally believe anything. Each case comes down to believability.

  3. #3
    Sage
    Kreton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Last Seen
    11-13-17 @ 08:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,118

    Re: He said, She said

    Quote Originally Posted by AliHajiSheik View Post
    I don't generally believe anything. Each case comes down to believability.
    How do you determine believability?
    “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.”
    Stephen R. Covey


  4. #4
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: He said, She said

    Quote Originally Posted by Kreton View Post
    On a sports forum a bunch of people are discussing this case with Jameis Winston possibly raping a girl. Apparently there is no evidence other than the fact that they had sex, and she states that it was rape. In many rape cases it comes down to a he said, she said type thing. He says it was consensual, she says it wasn't.

    Now I am not asking about this case specifically, but rather just using it as an example, who do you tend to believe in these cases? The easy answer I saw is not enough evidence means not guilty. However, if a guy and girl are alone and he wants to go further than her, not a ton of evidence is going to exist.
    There is no "generally". I judge every instance of these he-said/she-said rapes on the totality of the circumstances. And by what is reported in the media since I'm not in the courtroom. I will say, however, that I often approach such accusations with a "prove it" attitude. And because it's often two people alone, it's not unusual that proving it would be difficult.

  5. #5
    Sage
    Kreton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Last Seen
    11-13-17 @ 08:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,118

    Re: He said, She said

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    There is no "generally". I judge every instance of these he-said/she-said rapes on the totality of the circumstances. And by what is reported in the media since I'm not in the courtroom. I will say, however, that I often approach such accusations with a "prove it" attitude. And because it's often two people alone, it's not unusual that proving it would be difficult.
    I think generally fits, because there are so many of these cases out there. Most, or all, will never go to court. We don't really know the two people involved. So their credibility with us is pretty much even. The circumstances many times is simply just he said it was, she said it wasn't.

    I agree that it is difficult to prove a case, so then should it just be dismissed and forgotten?
    “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.”
    Stephen R. Covey


  6. #6
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: He said, She said

    Quote Originally Posted by Kreton View Post
    I think generally fits, because there are so many of these cases out there. Most, or all, will never go to court. We don't really know the two people involved. So their credibility with us is pretty much even. The circumstances many times is simply just he said it was, she said it wasn't.

    I agree that it is difficult to prove a case, so then should it just be dismissed and forgotten?
    If it's just he-said/she-said, I doubt there would be a prosecution.

    But how did the victim act afterwards? Did she go home and report it a few days later? Did she call a rape hotline? Did she call the cops right after it happened? Go to the hospital for a rape kit? Insist that her BAC be checked? Cooperate with prosecutors? Did she know the accused? What's her history? Is she credible?

    Sorry all, I know the victim isn't supposed to be put on trial; but in a he-said/she-said, I understand why that sometimes seems to be the case since credibility is everything.

  7. #7
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,650

    Re: He said, She said

    This may be the most ridiculous poll I have ever seen. Do you generally believe the accuser or the accused, while ignoring all other factors? Gosh that is a tough call. Do you presume guilt or innocence? Hmm...
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  8. #8
    Sage
    Kreton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Last Seen
    11-13-17 @ 08:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,118

    Re: He said, She said

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    If it's just he-said/she-said, I doubt there would be a prosecution.

    But how did the victim act afterwards? Did she go home and report it a few days later? Did she call a rape hotline? Did she call the cops right after it happened? Go to the hospital for a rape kit? Insist that her BAC be checked? Cooperate with prosecutors? Did she know the accused? What's her history? Is she credible?

    Sorry all, I know the victim isn't supposed to be put on trial; but in a he-said/she-said, I understand why that sometimes seems to be the case since credibility is everything.
    I know in this case she did call the cops right away and I understand the value of that question, as well as getting checked out. However, did she know the accused, is she credible, or the bac I dont see the relevance of. Thats what gets me in a lot of these cases. The prosecution sees that she was drinking or slept with someone else recently so then she must be lying? The way these cases are perceived is pretty messed up.
    “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.”
    Stephen R. Covey


  9. #9
    Sage
    Kreton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Last Seen
    11-13-17 @ 08:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,118

    Re: He said, She said

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    This may be the most ridiculous poll I have ever seen. Do you generally believe the accuser or the accused, while ignoring all other factors? Gosh that is a tough call. Do you presume guilt or innocence? Hmm...
    I put on there, and explained that many times there are no other factors.
    “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.”
    Stephen R. Covey


  10. #10
    Sage
    AliHajiSheik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,385

    Re: He said, She said

    Quote Originally Posted by Kreton View Post
    How do you determine believability?
    The same way anyone else does. It is certainly more reasonable than just picking one side all the time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •