View Poll Results: Is it wrong to refer to themselves as any of the following?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, its fine to be refered to as listed

    18 56.25%
  • Yes, its wrong to be refered to as listed

    0 0%
  • No, I have neve expressed disapproval toward these designations

    6 18.75%
  • Yes, I have expressed disapproval toward these designations

    7 21.88%
  • No, I'm fine "-American" in these cases

    7 21.88%
  • Yes, its wrong to add "-American" in these cases

    2 6.25%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 108

Thread: Another question about race

  1. #1
    Guru
    Smeagol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Last Seen
    02-19-17 @ 11:35 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,147

    Another question about race

    Do you there anything unpatriotic, divisive or otherwise wrong for Americans to refer to themselves as any of the following with respect to ethic heritage?

    - Italian
    - Indian
    - Chinese
    - Irish
    - Jewish
    - German
    - Arab

    If you do consider it unpatriotic, divisive or otherwise wrong; have you ever in your life expressed disapproval of the specific references listed?

    To clear up any confusion that ethnicity is being discussed and not nationality of which the person is a patriotic citizen of America; is it unpatriotic, divisive or otherwise wrong for Americans to add "-American" in that reference?
    Having opinions all over the map is a good sign of a person capable of autonomous thinking. Felix -2011

  2. #2
    Sage
    Oftencold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    A small village in Alaska
    Last Seen
    05-09-14 @ 12:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    5,044

    Re: Another question about race

    In most contexts it's harmless. In instances requiring greater precision or greater emphasis on citizenship, the practice can be unhelpful.

    I'm a mutt, and the issue doesn't arise, with one exception. I recognize that despotic and criminal nature of the War of Northern Aggression, and I reject the detestable Lincoln Myth. So sometimes people who seem to think that I'm over 150 years old call me a Confederate.
    Quod scripsi, scripsi

  3. #3
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,580

    Re: Another question about race

    Yes, IMHO, putting anything, implied to be more important, in front of American is generally unpatriotic. Just as there are rules/customs stating the relative positions of other flags to the US flag, I have a problem with folks placing things in front of American, with the notable exceptions of things like Proud American, Patriotic American or Native American. Using phrases like American of Chinese decent is OK by me but, using Chinese-American implies that one is first, and foremost, Chinese but also happens to be of American citizenship.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  4. #4
    free market communist
    Gardener's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    09-30-17 @ 12:27 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    26,661

    Re: Another question about race

    We are a melting pot society, so it is perfectly appropriate for people to refer to their heritage since we benefit from the admixture the way we do.

    It only becomes divisive and unpatriotic when people adopt a multiculturalist attitude instead of melting pot where attitudes are in place that seek to preserve the distinct nature of the various sub cultures in such a way that each operates independently and different rules apply to different groups.

    All dogs are dogs, but some are beagles and some irish setters. Doesn't keep em from playing together at the dog park.
    "you're better off on Stormfront discussing how evil brown men are taking innocent white flowers." Infinite Chaos

  5. #5
    Wee Nyeff
    GottaGo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    In the now
    Last Seen
    05-23-17 @ 02:58 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,311

    Re: Another question about race

    Quote Originally Posted by Smeagol View Post
    Do you there anything unpatriotic, divisive or otherwise wrong for Americans to refer to themselves as any of the following with respect to ethic heritage?

    - Italian
    - Indian
    - Chinese
    - Irish
    - Jewish
    - German
    - Arab

    If you do consider it unpatriotic, divisive or otherwise wrong; have you ever in your life expressed disapproval of the specific references listed?

    To clear up any confusion that ethnicity is being discussed and not nationality of which the person is a patriotic citizen of America; is it unpatriotic, divisive or otherwise wrong for Americans to add "-American" in that reference?
    Using the hyphen for first generation is standard, IMO. After that, it's usually not applicable.

    Most people who are American refer to their heritage as being X. If they leave out the heritage part, then I don't think they are truly patriotic at heart. They are separating themselves by their nationality from the great pool which is Americans.

    I am an American, but my heritage is German, Dutch, English, Irish. Scottish, Hungarian and a few stray cats. Casual dropping of the word heritage is common, obvious exclusion of the word is separating themselves.
    Building block or stumbling block.... choose.

  6. #6
    Guru
    Smeagol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Last Seen
    02-19-17 @ 11:35 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,147

    Re: Another question about race

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    Yes, IMHO, putting anything, implied to be more important, in front of American is generally unpatriotic. Just as there are rules/customs stating the relative positions of other flags to the US flag, I have a problem with folks placing things in front of American, with the notable exceptions of things like Proud American, Patriotic American or Native American. Using phrases like American of Chinese decent is OK by me but, using Chinese-American implies that one is first, and foremost, Chinese but also happens to be of American citizenship.
    Why is Native American an exception but Jewish American is not?

    IMHO its more about being less wordy. I don't think Americans of Italian ancestry are deliberately trying to imply their primary loyalties are with Italy and America comes second just because they might call themselves "Italian Americans" and not "Americans who happen to be of Italian heritage" and aren't even thinking the political correctness rules of the right. Rather, its just quicker to say.
    Having opinions all over the map is a good sign of a person capable of autonomous thinking. Felix -2011

  7. #7
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    07-04-15 @ 04:17 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,032

    Re: Another question about race

    I don't care what you call yourself as long as you pay your taxes and don't drive drunk.

  8. #8
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,580

    Re: Another question about race

    Quote Originally Posted by Smeagol View Post
    Why is Native American an exception but Jewish American is not?

    IMHO its more about being less wordy. I don't think Americans of Italian ancestry are deliberately trying to imply their primary loyalties are with Italy and America comes second just because they might call themselves "Italian Americans" and not "Americans who happen to be of Italian heritage" and aren't even thinking the political correctness rules of the right. Rather, its just quicker to say.
    Head of line privilege was granted, by me, myself and I.

    Then why not American-Italian? It is just as short but conveys a different relative importance.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Port Jarvis NY
    Last Seen
    03-22-14 @ 02:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,039

    Re: Another question about race

    Quote Originally Posted by Smeagol View Post
    Do you there anything unpatriotic, divisive or otherwise wrong for Americans to refer to themselves as any of the following with respect to ethic heritage?

    - Italian
    - Indian
    - Chinese
    - Irish
    - Jewish
    - German
    - Arab

    If you do consider it unpatriotic, divisive or otherwise wrong; have you ever in your life expressed disapproval of the specific references listed?

    To clear up any confusion that ethnicity is being discussed and not nationality of which the person is a patriotic citizen of America; is it unpatriotic, divisive or otherwise wrong for Americans to add "-American" in that reference?
    Not every person can accurately identify themselves.
    For example: My mother is Jewish, but my father German. My wife is Ukrainian. So my kids half Ukrainians, quarter Jews and quarter Germans.
    Further more difficult: mother of my son's daughter, my daughter-in-low, comes from mixed Italian-Irish-Japanese family.
    And how should call herself my granddaughter? Japanese-German-Italian-German-Irish-Jewish stew? American, is quite well.
    Last edited by loader; 12-10-13 at 12:07 PM.

  10. #10
    Professor
    Un biased's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Seen
    05-30-16 @ 10:41 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,642

    Re: Another question about race

    Quote Originally Posted by Smeagol View Post
    Do you there anything unpatriotic, divisive or otherwise wrong for Americans to refer to themselves as any of the following with respect to ethic heritage?

    - Italian
    - Indian
    - Chinese
    - Irish
    - Jewish
    - German
    - Arab

    If you do consider it unpatriotic, divisive or otherwise wrong; have you ever in your life expressed disapproval of the specific references listed?

    To clear up any confusion that ethnicity is being discussed and not nationality of which the person is a patriotic citizen of America; is it unpatriotic, divisive or otherwise wrong for Americans to add "-American" in that reference?
    Jewish is a religious distinction not of country of origin and that is the only problem I have with people putting American at the end . Most people are of multiple nationalities and not of just one . Besides it brings up the question of how long does one need to reside in this country for one to be deemed just a American since everybody ( except the natives ) had to immigrate to this country .
    Guinea pigs are amazing furry creatures !!

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •