View Poll Results: Is a white South African, American citizen...considered an African american?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • No.

    26 38.24%
  • Yep.

    34 50.00%
  • Ummm... Mind. Blown.

    8 11.76%
Page 5 of 30 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 291

Thread: Question about race: Is a white south african, who immigrated to america....

  1. #41
    Relentless Thinking Fury
    ChezC3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    9,144

    Re: Question about race: Is a white south african, who immigrated to america....

    Yep. Just like a friend of mine who is Egyptian got preference for the Police exam because he put African American down on the application.

    It's a helluva thing...

  2. #42
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Anagram's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    St. Louis MO
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    6,198

    Re: Question about race: Is a white south african, who immigrated to america....

    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelJR View Post
    Here's an interesting take on things. I think of race as B.S. It's something played on by people with an agenda. I think of us as humans. So this isn't a race ploy, I suppose I want to prove a point here.


    Is a white of skin color, south african...that immigrates to the United States....now considered an African American?


    Put that in your pipe and smoke it race baiters on both sides.
    No. That is not what the term was invented to convey, nor is it its common usage.
    There should be Instant Runoff Voting

  3. #43
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Michigan
    Last Seen
    01-28-15 @ 06:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    5,587
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Question about race: Is a white south african, who immigrated to america....

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    It requires an awareness and an appreciation of accurate terminology. It recognizes differences in perspective and how that impacts communication. It promotes discussion at a level above the average mullet-wearing trailer-park dweller.
    Don't you have a mullet?

  4. #44
    Sage
    Lovebug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,889

    Re: Question about race: Is a white south african, who immigrated to america....

    Key is recognizing the differences and accepting each other as the individuals we are.

  5. #45
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,702

    Re: Question about race: Is a white south african, who immigrated to america....

    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelJR View Post
    Here's an interesting take on things. I think of race as B.S. It's something played on by people with an agenda. I think of us as humans. So this isn't a race ploy, I suppose I want to prove a point here.


    Is a white of skin color, south african...that immigrates to the United States....now considered an African American?


    Put that in your pipe and smoke it race baiters on both sides.
    Race has nothing to do with the country/continent of your, or that of your ancestors, citizenship used to be.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  6. #46
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,702

    Re: Question about race: Is a white south african, who immigrated to america....

    Quote Originally Posted by ChezC3 View Post
    Yep. Just like a friend of mine who is Egyptian got preference for the Police exam because he put African American down on the application.

    It's a helluva thing...
    Yep. The ability to "self identify" yopour race/ethnic statuss, like Elizabeth Warren, is quite a hoot. Just as having a "minority" status for a county gov't contract does not apply to white males, even if they are a minority within that county.

    http://www.princegeorgescountymd.gov...ommission.aspx
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  7. #47
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Last Seen
    11-16-17 @ 04:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,775

    Re: Question about race: Is a white south african, who immigrated to america....

    [QUOTE=ecofarm;1062629673]Wait a minute, I'm very PC and proud of it. I see PC as social intellectualism. Nonetheless, I see no harm in someone recognizing their ancestry. I don't see it as a divider but a celebration of diversity.[/QUOTE

    Uhh, Eco, you have me snickering here..

    Where the hell does one find "social intellectualism." defined ??? Will you share the meaning ?

    Language is wonderfully confusing... sometimes

    Thom Paine

  8. #48
    Professor
    Keridan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Raleigh NC
    Last Seen
    08-19-17 @ 12:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,451

    Re: Question about race: Is a white south african, who immigrated to america....

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    When you see this, go look up nihilism. I understand that philosophical references can confuse and befuddle some people, but I think after studying it you will be capable of grasping my retort.
    Knowing the definition of the word, I admit that I failed to look it up. I did not look for other uses. Having done so, I now see that your argument was flawed in a different way than first glance.

    Since I was adult enough to look up my area of naiveté, I will look forward to you doing the same. Start with these terms; sentence structure, supporting arguments, evidences, and value.

    When you improve these areas of your argument, I think it would be much more enjoyable to continue. We can even work in more complex stuff for you later.
    Omniscience just sucks without omnipotence!

  9. #49
    Iconoclast
    DaveFagan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    wny
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:17 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,311

    Re: Question about race: Is a white south african, who immigrated to america....

    Texas is racist. Vidor comes to mind.

  10. #50
    Sage
    Papa bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-25-15 @ 01:35 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,927

    Re: Question about race: Is a white south african, who immigrated to america....

    All Americans are African-Americans because everyone's ancestors came from Africa. The qualifier is superfluous.

    How Africa Became the Cradle of Humankind | Hominid Hunting
    You can't reason anyone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into in the first place.

Page 5 of 30 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •