View Poll Results: Is a white South African, American citizen...considered an African american?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • No.

    26 38.24%
  • Yep.

    34 50.00%
  • Ummm... Mind. Blown.

    8 11.76%
Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 291

Thread: Question about race: Is a white south african, who immigrated to america....

  1. #21
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: Question about race: Is a white south african, who immigrated to america....

    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelJR View Post
    Oh man, I couldn't be further from PC if I had to. Thus, me calling a white south African, an African American. Figured that might stir up the pot a bit.
    Nah I had some buddies from South Africa in college who tried to call themselves African American.... the university offices disagreed with them.

    "African American" is a race. It really has nothing to do with being from Africa, it has to do with coming from a certain extended "family tree" and having the telltale phenotypes.

  2. #22
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,445

    Re: Question about race: Is a white south african, who immigrated to america....

    Quote Originally Posted by Keridan View Post
    Such a solid, loquacious and considered response! I realize that the facts are completely against you and that increases the challenge, but if you are going to take the time to respond, is it not worth a little more effort than pointing out that skepticism is what led me to the facts?

    I'm headed to bed now, but I will enjoy looking for a multi - word response in the am .

    When you see this, go look up nihilism. I understand that philosophical references can confuse and befuddle some people, but I think after studying it you will be capable of grasping my retort.

  3. #23
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: Question about race: Is a white south african, who immigrated to america....

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Wait a minute, I'm very PC and proud of it. I see PC as social intellectualism. Nonetheless, I see no harm in someone recognizing their ancestry. I don't see it as a divider but a celebration of diversity.
    How is political correctness the same as social intellectualism?

  4. #24
    Educator
    MichaelJR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Suckachusetts
    Last Seen
    05-25-16 @ 09:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,089

    Re: Question about race: Is a white south african, who immigrated to america....

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    You're a mutt. There is no such thing as Italian-Irish Americans.
    Once you're American, IMO, there's no such thing as Blankblankblank anything. You're just American. I mean, she still speaks the language, I spoke it as a kid, but it's irrelevant. They don't fly the medusa, my dad doesn't do a jig, it's an American family.

    I don't know. I've always been perplexed by people's obsessions with backgrounds. I'm a hop skip and a jump from the 'old countries', but I don't recognize it. Than you have Joey Diblahblahdio rocking Italia shirts and he doesn't speak a drop of it, is about 5th generation, and his last name isn't even spelled correctly.

    It's always agitated me.

  5. #25
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,445

    Re: Question about race: Is a white south african, who immigrated to america....

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    How is political correctness the same as social intellectualism?
    It requires an awareness and an appreciation of accurate terminology. It recognizes differences in perspective and how that impacts communication. It promotes discussion at a level above the average mullet-wearing trailer-park dweller.

  6. #26
    Educator
    MichaelJR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Suckachusetts
    Last Seen
    05-25-16 @ 09:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,089

    Re: Question about race: Is a white south african, who immigrated to america....

    OH, here's a curveball, I'm adopted, so I'm actually nothing. You can file me under misc., the lost and found box. Misc-American. New race for us lost children of the western hemisphere.

    We need to create a Misc-American history month. It will be about a page long.

    ....and there I was, being all Miscellaneously American.

  7. #27
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,445

    Re: Question about race: Is a white south african, who immigrated to america....

    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelJR View Post
    Once you're American, IMO, there's no such thing as Blankblankblank anything. You're just American. I mean, she still speaks the language, I spoke it as a kid, but it's irrelevant. They don't fly the medusa, my dad doesn't do a jig, it's an American family.

    I don't know. I've always been perplexed by people's obsessions with backgrounds. I'm a hop skip and a jump from the 'old countries', but I don't recognize it. Than you have Joey Diblahblahdio rocking Italia shirts and he doesn't speak a drop of it, is about 5th generation, and his last name isn't even spelled correctly.

    It's always agitated me.
    Embrace diversity.

  8. #28
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,445

    Re: Question about race: Is a white south african, who immigrated to america....

    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelJR View Post
    OH, here's a curveball, I'm adopted, so I'm actually nothing. You can file me under misc., the lost and found box. Misc-American. New race for us lost children of the western hemisphere.

    We need to create a Misc-American history month. It will be about a page long.

    ....and there I was, being all Miscellaneously American.
    That's called a mutt. It's what most of us Americans are.

    This could, actually, be the source of your discomfort with the recognition of heritage.

  9. #29
    Educator
    MichaelJR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Suckachusetts
    Last Seen
    05-25-16 @ 09:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,089

    Re: Question about race: Is a white south african, who immigrated to america....

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Embrace diversity.
    I've always subscribed to the melting pot school of thought when it comes to this. With major emphasis on cuisine. I draw the line there.

    Oh and latin dance. I like that.

  10. #30
    Educator
    MichaelJR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Suckachusetts
    Last Seen
    05-25-16 @ 09:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,089

    Re: Question about race: Is a white south african, who immigrated to america....

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    That's called a mutt. It's what most of us Americans are.

    This could, actually, be the source of your discomfort with the recognition of heritage.
    You think it's a deep routed issue surrounding my adoption?

    S***


Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •