View Poll Results: Is a white South African, American citizen...considered an African american?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • No.

    26 38.24%
  • Yep.

    34 50.00%
  • Ummm... Mind. Blown.

    8 11.76%
Page 21 of 30 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 210 of 291

Thread: Question about race: Is a white south african, who immigrated to america....

  1. #201
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Port Jarvis NY
    Last Seen
    03-22-14 @ 02:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,039

    Re: Question about race: Is a white south african, who immigrated to america....

    White is a white. Black is a black. African-American is liberal nonsense.

  2. #202
    Sage
    SheWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,508

    Re: Question about race: Is a white south african, who immigrated to america....

    Would you be cool with this.... African decent? Its still better than Negro and Negroid, and it has African in the same which will make some people happy.

    I am just asking to ask. You seem to be complaining about hyphens, so there. What do you say?



    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    Hey... this Euro-American doesn't care what you call yourself. If you think it's important for people to know you're of African descent and worry they might not be able to figure it out without you adding "African-hyphen" to the "American" label, it's all good. You wouldn't want to be mistaken for someone of Swedish descent. That would be a very bad thing. The more we can focus on how different we are, the better it is for everyone.

  3. #203
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Port Jarvis NY
    Last Seen
    03-22-14 @ 02:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,039

    Re: Question about race: Is a white south african, who immigrated to america....

    Quote Originally Posted by SheWolf View Post
    Would you be cool with this.... African decent? Its still better than Negro and Negroid, and it has African in the same which will make some people happy.
    Who is better? Negros are not shy about the color of their skin.

  4. #204
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,984

    Re: Question about race: Is a white south african, who immigrated to america....

    Yes, they are born in Africa and thus are entitled to being called an African American.

    It's silly that we equate "African American" with "black" and also assume that all black people are of African heritage. When I went to Haiti the black people there didn't want to be called Africans and those that moved to the US did not want to be called "African Americans." Their identiy was Haitian and we were told referring to people in Haiti as Africans or being of African decent is considered rude and improper as well as referring to Haitian immigrants as African Americans if they move to the US. I have friends who were born in Egypt that applied for African American scholarships. One actually got it but then had the funds removed when they realized he was of Arab decent even though he was born in Africa in Egypt.

    African American should not be used as a term to denote race or ethnicity. I don't think people would lump people from India, China, eastern Russia, or Malaysia as "Asian Americans" and no one refers to whites as "European Americans." African American may be a more prefered term by some, but it's improper to assume all blacks are African Americans and to say that people born in Africa that immigrated here are not African Americans.
    Last edited by digsbe; 12-09-13 at 06:57 PM.
    When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. -Socrates
    Tired of elections being between the lesser of two evils.

  5. #205
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Port Jarvis NY
    Last Seen
    03-22-14 @ 02:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,039

    Re: Question about race: Is a white south african, who immigrated to america....

    western Russia,
    Western Russia, located in Europe.

  6. #206
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,984

    Re: Question about race: Is a white south african, who immigrated to america....

    Quote Originally Posted by loader View Post
    Western Russia, located in Europe.
    Thanks for pointing that out, I meant eastern Russia.
    When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. -Socrates
    Tired of elections being between the lesser of two evils.

  7. #207
    Sage
    Papa bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-25-15 @ 01:35 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,927

    Re: Question about race: Is a white south african, who immigrated to america....

    Quote Originally Posted by SheWolf View Post
    Would you be cool with this.... African decent? Its still better than Negro and Negroid, and it has African in the same which will make some people happy.

    I am just asking to ask. You seem to be complaining about hyphens, so there. What do you say?
    As far as I'm concerned, the hyphen between two countries indicates someone needs to make up their mind which side of the hyphen they are and get jiggy wid' it. All the hyphen tells me is that being an American like everyone else, in your mind, isn't good enough for you. Either we drink at the same water fountains or we don't. Sooner or later, we're going to have to make up our mind whether we're all equal and all Americans or whether we aren't. If you're a hyphenated American, you are making yourself something else from the rest of us. And that's OK as long as you don't scratch your head wondering why you ge treated like you're something else from the rest of us. If you like drawing that line, then accept that a line has been drawn. I'm OK with that then. We have lots of people here that aren't really Americans and I don't begrudge any of them being here as long as they're here legally. You don't have to love this country to live in it.
    You can't reason anyone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into in the first place.

  8. #208
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Port Jarvis NY
    Last Seen
    03-22-14 @ 02:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,039

    Re: Question about race: Is a white south african, who immigrated to america....

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    Thanks for pointing that out, I meant eastern Russia.
    Russians virtually exterminated Asian peoples of Siberia (eastern Russia) so that there are now living mostly Europeans.

  9. #209
    Educator BlackAsCoal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    11-04-15 @ 01:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    702

    Re: Question about race: Is a white south african, who immigrated to america....

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    And, I suppose with "the fight", it's not over till you and your brothers and sisters say it's over. So y'all let the white folks know when you're through fighting and maybe everyone can move forward together. Meanwhile, I've got to get by Cuban-American arse back down to the workshop to get some more production in today.
    :0) I can tell that we're good to have some juicy debate about Cuba.

    With respect to who gets to declare its over .. there is a very logical answer to that question that if you take a moment to think about it, I bet you'll come to the only conclusion.

  10. #210
    Sage
    Papa bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-25-15 @ 01:35 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,927

    Re: Question about race: Is a white south african, who immigrated to america....

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackAsCoal View Post
    :0) I can tell that we're good to have some juicy debate about Cuba.

    With respect to who gets to declare its over .. there is a very logical answer to that question that if you take a moment to think about it, I bet you'll come to the only conclusion.
    Yes. Anyone that wants to declare it's over can declare it's over. Those that don't, won't be forced to, however. They'll just end up marginalized into obscurity. Racism might last till the end of time as a fringe element, but it doesn't have to be acceptable.
    You can't reason anyone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into in the first place.

Page 21 of 30 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •