View Poll Results: Is Obama a good president?

Voters
249. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    24 9.64%
  • No

    167 67.07%
  • He's average

    54 21.69%
  • Wait, Obama is president? Oh my god, what year is this?!

    1 0.40%
  • Obama? He's that TV guy, right?

    3 1.20%
Page 76 of 79 FirstFirst ... 26667475767778 ... LastLast
Results 751 to 760 of 781

Thread: Is Obama a good president?[W:577]

  1. #751
    Student
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    11-22-14 @ 02:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    206

    Re: Is Obama a good president?[W:577]

    As to the original question. If you polled economists now as to who was the worst president in history the argument would be Wilson or Harding. In 100 years it will be Bush or Obama.

  2. #752
    King Conspiratard
    Dr. Chuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-14 @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    12,895

    Re: Is Obama a good president?[W:577]

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    He was articulate and sold the "hope and change" thing really well. We very much wanted that, and since he was also relatively new, we wanted him to not be from the old guard and be a change from the some old crap we've been getting.

    Unfortunately, we got the same old crap. I attribute this to two things: 1) he wasn't as dedicated to change as he implied, and 2) the establishment is firmly established and doesn't move easily.
    If you look at his history in chicago, it was rather clear he was an establishment type that simply played to his demographics during a campaign. This was even pretty evident in the fact that he did a complete switch once he secured the demo primary from a rather left wing candidate to one that was more focused on the center. Not to mention, the guy running his campaign was a notorious astro-turfer in Chicago.

    I think it was mainly the fact that he was a young black man and people visually saw that as a "change" from what they viewed as the old, white establishment. Be it on a conscious or unconscious level

  3. #753
    King Conspiratard
    Dr. Chuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-14 @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    12,895

    Re: Is Obama a good president?[W:577]

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Yes and no. He got Obamacare, but not to the extent that he wanted. I agree it will unravel, but it will unravel because it is incomplete. If he had been able to get something closer to what he wanted, it might have had a better chance at succeeding.
    what do you think he wanted and how was that different than what he got?

  4. #754
    King Conspiratard
    Dr. Chuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-14 @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    12,895

    Re: Is Obama a good president?[W:577]

    Quote Originally Posted by Puigb View Post
    If Reagan would have been a black guy, he would have never been president.
    it was also a different time and place. it's like saying 20-4 years from now when we finally have a gay president "if obama was gay he would have never won the presidency". yeah, no ****, Sherlock. Social attitudes change over time

  5. #755
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:11 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,413

    Re: Is Obama a good president?[W:577]

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    If you look at his history in chicago, it was rather clear he was an establishment type that simply played to his demographics during a campaign. This was even pretty evident in the fact that he did a complete switch once he secured the demo primary from a rather left wing candidate to one that was more focused on the center. Not to mention, the guy running his campaign was a notorious astro-turfer in Chicago.

    I think it was mainly the fact that he was a young black man and people visually saw that as a "change" from what they viewed as the old, white establishment. Be it on a conscious or unconscious level
    That's standard operating procedure in both parties for as long as seemingly forever. Play to the extremes in the primaries, move to the center in the general election. "Getting elected 101", if you will. The sad part is... we fall for it.

    Generic "we", of course.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  6. #756
    King Conspiratard
    Dr. Chuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-14 @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    12,895

    Re: Is Obama a good president?[W:577]

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    That's standard operating procedure in both parties for as long as seemingly forever. Play to the extremes in the primaries, move to the center in the general election. "Getting elected 101", if you will. The sad part is... we fall for it.

    Generic "we", of course.
    I agree it's standard operating procedure. Which is why he wasn't obviously "the change we were looking for". He also had a clear track record of doing this the entire time he was in politics (totally changing his platform to fit popular demographics).

  7. #757
    The Dude
    Kobie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Western NY
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    42,895

    Re: Is Obama a good president?[W:577]

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    If you look at his history in chicago, it was rather clear he was an establishment type that simply played to his demographics during a campaign. This was even pretty evident in the fact that he did a complete switch once he secured the demo primary from a rather left wing candidate to one that was more focused on the center. Not to mention, the guy running his campaign was a notorious astro-turfer in Chicago.

    I think it was mainly the fact that he was a young black man and people visually saw that as a "change" from what they viewed as the old, white establishment. Be it on a conscious or unconscious level
    Which is absolutely no different than any presidential candidate of my lifetime.
    Freedom of speech is not freedom from criticism.

  8. #758
    King Conspiratard
    Dr. Chuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-14 @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    12,895

    Re: Is Obama a good president?[W:577]

    Quote Originally Posted by Kobie View Post
    Which is absolutely no different than any presidential candidate of my lifetime.
    Which is the entire point if you pay attention to the actual context of the discussion, as opposed to indulging in some knee-jerk defense ...

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    He was articulate and sold the "hope and change" thing really well. ***We very much wanted that, and since he was also relatively new, we wanted him to not be from the old guard and be a change from the some old crap we've been getting.***

    Unfortunately, we got the same old crap. I attribute this to two things: 1) he wasn't as dedicated to change as he implied, and 2) the establishment is firmly established and doesn't move easily.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    If you look at his history in chicago, it was rather clear he was an establishment type that simply played to his demographics during a campaign. This was even pretty evident in the fact that he did a complete switch once he secured the demo primary from a rather left wing candidate to one that was more focused on the center. Not to mention, the guy running his campaign was a notorious astro-turfer in Chicago.
    Can you spell "DERP"?

  9. #759
    The Dude
    Kobie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Western NY
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    42,895

    Re: Is Obama a good president?[W:577]

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    Which is the entire point if you pay attention to the actual context of the discussion, as opposed to indulging in some knee-jerk defense ...

    Can you spell "DERP"?
    Can you spell "I read a comment and replied to it without reading the rest of the page?" Unclench, skippy.
    Freedom of speech is not freedom from criticism.

  10. #760
    King Conspiratard
    Dr. Chuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-14 @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    12,895

    Re: Is Obama a good president?[W:577]

    Quote Originally Posted by Kobie View Post
    Can you spell "I read a comment and replied to it without reading the rest of the page?" Unclench, skippy.
    No **** you didn't pay attention to context. You responded with your usual knee-jerk defense against a "conservative". Which is why you're the liberal version of the various conservative ****heads that populate this site, and who you spend the majority of your day having laughable arguments with.

    So I was just letting you know that I wasn't one of them and had no interest in indulging you in such. So we could both spend our time here more productively (at least as we see it)

Page 76 of 79 FirstFirst ... 26667475767778 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •