View Poll Results: Is Obama a good president?

Voters
249. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    24 9.64%
  • No

    167 67.07%
  • He's average

    54 21.69%
  • Wait, Obama is president? Oh my god, what year is this?!

    1 0.40%
  • Obama? He's that TV guy, right?

    3 1.20%
Page 15 of 79 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 781

Thread: Is Obama a good president?[W:577]

  1. #141
    King Conspiratard
    Dr. Chuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-14 @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    12,895

    re: Is Obama a good president?[W:577]

    Quote Originally Posted by Mordecai View Post
    What in the world gives you that impression? The PPACA, like just about everything else the President has proposed, passed along purely partisan lines.
    well 1) he avoided the debate until most of the troubled aspects were hammered out in congress. 2) The bill suffered heavily from internal dissent within the democratic party, including times they had a super majority in the senate

    If that was the case, then he'd have avoided the PPACA and the ARRA and TARP and, you know, all the things that he's been vilified for over the last 5 years.
    He did avoid the ACA for most of the debate, and TARP was signed into law under Bush ...

  2. #142
    King Conspiratard
    Dr. Chuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-14 @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    12,895

    re: Is Obama a good president?[W:577]

    Quote Originally Posted by Mordecai View Post
    That'd be a pretty hard argument to make since President Obama authorized the raid on the compound in Abbottabad, winded down the conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan, and switched to using drones and strike teams to handle targets instead of authorizing unilateral invasions of entire countries with the use of trillions of dollars and over a million people. Could you imagine if we had used President W. Bush's tactics to deal with targets in places like Mali, Yemen, and Syria? It'd be an unmitigated disaster (assuming Iraq wasn't an unmitigated disaster, because if it was, then I don't have a good term for handling terrorists in Syria the way we handled them in Iraq).

    the Drone Program was developed under Bush. Obama simply increased and expanded it

  3. #143
    The Dude
    Kobie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Western NY
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    42,908

    re: Is Obama a good president?[W:577]

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    well 1) he avoided the debate until most of the troubled aspects were hammered out in congress. 2) The bill suffered heavily from internal dissent within the democratic party, including times they had a super majority in the senate

    He did avoid the ACA for most of the debate, and TARP was signed into law under Bush ...
    If it hadn't, the public option (which I considered a must-have if the individual mandate was a part of the deal) wouldn't have gotten scotched.
    Freedom of speech is not freedom from criticism.

  4. #144
    King Conspiratard
    Dr. Chuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-14 @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    12,895

    re: Is Obama a good president?[W:577]

    Quote Originally Posted by Kobie View Post
    If it hadn't, the public option (which I considered a must-have if the individual mandate was a part of the deal) wouldn't have gotten scotched.
    The administration never really gave serious concern to the public option, from my understanding. They more or less used it as a bargaining chip, and the form it was offered in was drastically watered down from anything that would have been effective.

    But with that said, I think he had more than enough influence to bully his own party in line, but the ACA seems to be the exact type of legislation he was working for

    Truth about the public option momentarily emerges, quickly scampers back into hiding - Salon.com

    Truth Emerges about the Public Option : Columbia Journalism Review

    But with that said, Obama had the public support at the time to undoubtedly steer internal party politics much more than he tried. Though he seemed more content to be persona non grata during that whole fracas

  5. #145
    The Dude
    Kobie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Western NY
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    42,908

    re: Is Obama a good president?[W:577]

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    The administration never really gave serious concern to the public option, from my understanding. They more or less used it as a bargaining chip, and the form it was offered in was drastically watered down from anything that would have been effective.

    But with that said, I think he had more than enough influence to bully his own party in line, but the ACA seems to be the exact type of legislation he was working for

    Truth about the public option momentarily emerges, quickly scampers back into hiding - Salon.com

    Truth Emerges about the Public Option : Columbia Journalism Review

    But with that said, Obama had the public support at the time to undoubtedly steer internal party politics much more than he tried. Though he seemed more content to be persona non grata during that whole fracas
    I seem to remember a few of the Blue Dogs (Nelson, Bayh, maybe Baucus) objecting and the P.O. coming off the table pretty quickly.
    Freedom of speech is not freedom from criticism.

  6. #146
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,193

    re: Is Obama a good president?[W:577]

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    I'm not a fan of Bush's politics or policies, but he preformed better as a potus than Obama and seemed more adept at pushing his political agenda. But I think that was more due to the team behind him, like Rove, as opposed to his own abilities.
    Although an intelligent man, Bush didn't think he was nor had to be the smartest man in the room, unlike the current President who's never met anyone quite so brilliant as himself. When you pretty much look down on everyone you're dealing with daily, it's hard to take counsel from them or accept their advice.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  7. #147
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,193

    re: Is Obama a good president?[W:577]

    Quote Originally Posted by Mordecai View Post
    That'd be a pretty hard argument to make since President Obama authorized the raid on the compound in Abbottabad, winded down the conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan, and switched to using drones and strike teams to handle targets instead of authorizing unilateral invasions of entire countries with the use of trillions of dollars and over a million people. Could you imagine if we had used President W. Bush's tactics to deal with targets in places like Mali, Yemen, and Syria? It'd be an unmitigated disaster (assuming Iraq wasn't an unmitigated disaster, because if it was, then I don't have a good term for handling terrorists in Syria the way we handled them in Iraq).
    Depends on your point of view - from where I sit, your take is utter nonsense.

    1. Obama was able to give the order to raid the compound in Abbottabad because of intelligence gleaned from the Bush authorized enhanced interrogation techniques that Obama roundly dismissed and condemned before and after he took office. Without that intelligence, you may still be looking for bin Laden.

    2. Obama did not wind down conflict in Iraq - in fact, Obama simply allowed the Bush administration withdrawal agreement with Iraq to take place. However, Obama was instrumental in being unable to negotiate with the Iraqis on an agreement to retain a certain level of troops in Iraq while the country transitioned and stabilized. As a result, Iraq has been anything but stable and has been drifting into Iranian influence since the date Obama walked into the Oval Office.

    3. Obama did not wind down conflict in Afghanistan before he ramped it up, increasing the troops in the area although not as much as his military experts requested, extending time in the country without any appreciable mission or gain, and long past virtually every international country who cooperated with Bush in Afghanistan. The result is a continued, failed, Afghanistan, perhaps the most corrupt country in the world, with the US condoning or sanctioning negotiations with the Taliban. Talk about dealing with the devil.

    4. The use of drones under Obama has been to the moral disgrace of America and I believe America will rue the day when a US President authorized the first and many after murders of innocent people in sovereign countries that America was not at war with and whom America explicitly or implicitly indentifies as an ally. Innocent men, women, and children, are not just "collateral damage" when a US President decides he wants to "take out" a bad guy. People like you wanted Bush tried for war crimes because a few prisoners got embarrassed by rogue soldiers whereas you think Obama is a hero for murdering people indiscriminately.

    5. Finally, places like Mali, Yemen, Syria, Libya, Egypt, etc. were not "problems" when Bush was President - these places didn't become roiled in discontent until the great Obama decided to go to Egypt, in many respects the lead country in the middle east, and gave the masses the impression that America was behind them in their fight for freedom and independence. Was the message bad? No. But it was a disaster when it was given by a man without the ability or the backbone to back it up. He sat on his ass and watched as young people all over the middle east rose up against oppression and the great Obama sat in his golf cart and let them be beaten back and many die in the process. How cruel to encourage people and give them hope and then abandon them when they need you most.

    But, it's all your individual perspective.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  8. #148
    Sage
    polgara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,355

    re: Is Obama a good president?[W:577]

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    Although an intelligent man, Bush didn't think he was nor had to be the smartest man in the room, unlike the current President who's never met anyone quite so brilliant as himself. When you pretty much look down on everyone you're dealing with daily, it's hard to take counsel from them or accept their advice.
    Good morning, CJ.

    You may be on to something. Maybe that's the reason no one ever tells him anything---they figure he already knows it all.

    I'm getting an early start today; got lots to get done! It's 22 degrees and snowing, so I'm housebound. I attended a silent auction to benefit a pet rescue animal shelter last evening, and it was fun! Hope all is well with you!

  9. #149
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    re: Is Obama a good president?[W:577]

    Quote Originally Posted by Jredbaron96 View Post
    I'm sure this will end in a proper and dignified manner.
    I don't think he's the worst president but is FAR from what I would consider a good president. I find him to be extremely divisive. I don't think I ever remember the country being so divided.

  10. #150
    Live, Love, Laugh.
    SayMyName's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Taizhou, China
    Last Seen
    12-11-17 @ 08:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,034

    re: Is Obama a good president?[W:577]

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    I don't think he's the worst president but is FAR from what I would consider a good president. I find him to be extremely divisive. I don't think I ever remember the country being so divided.
    Well, give life some time. I have lived long enough to have seen it divided for quite awhile. Doesn't seem like it will change, just get more so. Attempts to blame it on Obama are wails of the sadly defeated. I don't know why Obama gets such grief. Maybe there are a lot of people that deep down inside don't like him because he is black. I don't like him either, but I am not going to blame him for all hell freezing over and the lack of a Second Coming of Christ. Goodness.

    Having said that, Obama is a lot better than his predecessor, Bush, an whole lot better, and no better or worse than most that we have had in the last few decades.

Page 15 of 79 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •