View Poll Results: Would you support THIS voter ID law described in OP?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    21 72.41%
  • No

    6 20.69%
  • I love Mashed Potatoes

    5 17.24%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 54

Thread: Would you support THIS voter ID law described in OP?

  1. #41
    Pontificator
    iliveonramen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    On a Gravy Train with Biscuit Wheels
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    9,207

    Re: Would you support THIS voter ID law described in OP?

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    The ID is free and easily and readily obtainable.
    It can be obtain where all other IDs can DMV, Passport, court house for weapons permits etc and at the polling places at certain times.

    Also the VOTING ID isnt required to vote other picture IDs are also acceptable, Drivers license, Passport, military ID etc.

    as always if theres a problem with ID you still get to vote special ballot and will have a time frame to work it out.

    Yes
    No
    I love mashed potatoes.

    Attachment 67157568


    I would definitely support it under these conditions.
    Yeah I'd support something like that. Hell why not just make a voter ID card a picture ID and solve all the problems.
    “Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest good of everyone.” John Maynard Keynes

  2. #42
    Educator

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    05-09-16 @ 08:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,052

    Re: Would you support THIS voter ID law described in OP?

    I'm sure most people have some sort of ID. And as long as there is no cost for those that don't have an ID to get one it would be fine. Are the states going to provide some kind of mobile ID method so there are no cost, ie gas, bus fare, and so on. If there is any cost wouldn't that be considered a poll tax? Also how will the ID's of those voting by mail be checked? How about the Military people stationed overseas that vote by mail? If you're going to require ID at the voting places then all bases need to be covered otherwise this is just another "feel good" law.
    I confess, I did it, I let the dogs out.

  3. #43
    Sage
    Perotista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,941
    Blog Entries
    25

    Re: Would you support THIS voter ID law described in OP?

    Quote Originally Posted by Smeagol View Post
    Georgia is not a Presidential Elections swing state. It seems the only places where there new more difficult voter ID laws were enacted were states that:

    A). Had GOP control of state government
    B). Where polling and other date indicated the GOP could possibly win but it would be close
    C). There were significant numbers of lower income minorities in the state who might not all have all their ducks in a row with respect to personal organization, use public transportation and of course are likely to live on a shoestring budget. Not every single minority in their state, just maybe enough to swing an outcome in a close swing state.

    These same states were also the only one to cut back on early voting options that just so happened to coincidentally correspond to the days minorities have shown up to vote in the largest numbers and one state in particular reduces early voting hours in minority communities while leaving them extended in non-minority communities...in the same state!

    BTW: I was just talking with a friend yesterday on former GOP Florida State Chairman Jim Greer's sworn testimony that the GOP held strategy meeting to brainstorm on how to suppress the black vote in that state. According to my friend, Jim Greer lied under oath and it was only a coincidence that the Republican Governor and legislature in that state rolled out a comprehensive voter ID and early voting reduction schedule that fell on the days blacks vote in the largest number. This was only to save money and to stop (non-existent) voter fraud in the state. So now we know!
    That all may be, but what about South Carolina, Alabama, Mississippi, Texas? In all these states the photo ID has been challenged and taken to court, these states will not be close. Connecticut, Pennsylvania are two northern states that has also been taken to court and are reliable Democratic states, usually not close again. All total 34 out of 50 states now have photo ID laws or are in the process of getting them depending on the outcome of some court cases.

    Personally I never like this early voting. We have an election day and it is that day people are suppose to go vote. Not vote early. Who knows how Ohio would have turned out last year? Early voting started before the first presidential election debate, how many had voted early and then changed their minds only to find out it was too late. I think election day should be exactly that, election day. Oh I know early voting was instituted in the hopes that it would bring more people to the polls, but it hasn't done that.

    Back in the 60's when one only could voted on one day, election day the turn out for presidential elections was 63, 63 and 61%. The turn out over the last three presidential elections were 51,55, and 56%. Not up to standards I would say. But I am old fashioned and like the old way better. No evil intent here. Just a firm belief that election day should be just that, election day. Election day shouldn't consist of 3 weeks or a month or longer.

    I have no doubt some of the laws were to suppress voter turn out, but many more by looking at the 34 states that have or are getting them, it was more to prevent fraud than to repress. I have no problem with them. Now if a state has early voting in some area and not all, then yes, that is a problem that has to be addressed. But if there was no early voting, the problem would be solved.
    This Reform Party member thinks it is high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first and their political party further down the line. But for way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.

  4. #44
    Guru
    Smeagol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Last Seen
    02-19-17 @ 11:35 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,147

    Re: Would you support THIS voter ID law described in OP?

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    The ID is free and easily and readily obtainable.
    It can be obtain where all other IDs can DMV, Passport, court house for weapons permits etc and at the polling places at certain times.

    Also the VOTING ID isnt required to vote other picture IDs are also acceptable, Drivers license, Passport, military ID etc.

    as always if theres a problem with ID you still get to vote special ballot and will have a time frame to work it out.

    Yes
    No
    I love mashed potatoes.

    Attachment 67157568


    I would definitely support it under these conditions.
    Yes. Honestly, every person should have some sort of ID. I think in 2012 the new "Real ID Act" caught a lot of people by surprise then only to learn it was required to vote ruffled some feathers. I have a friend who had to return to the DMV office 2 times with visits on 3 different days because each time she learned the documentation to get her drivers license renewed was not enough. REAL ID Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia


    Identity and date of birth: To document identity and date of birth, you must submit one of the following documents.
    -Valid, unexpired U.S. passport or U.S. passport card
    -Certified copy of a birth certificate issued by a state of the United States. (“State” includes the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands, Guam, American Samoa, or the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands.) It must be a certified copy and have the stamp or raised seal of the issuing authority. A hospital-issued certificate is not acceptable. A certified birth certificate issued by Puerto Rico must be certified as being issued on or after July 1, 2010.
    -Legal immigrants have a whole other list of documentation requirements.

    Plus one of the following. Photocopies and faxes of these documents will NOT be accepted.
    -Your Social Security card
    -W-2 form
    -Social Security Administration 1099 form
    -Non-Social Security Administration 1099 form
    -Pay stub with your name and Social Security number on it

    Plus proof of residency
    -voter registration card.
    -A valid vehicle registration certificate.
    -Valid insurance card or certificate of coverage (life, health, auto, homeowner’s or renter’s)
    -Second valid insurance card or certificate of coverage (different than first)
    -Utility hook up or bill (water, gas, electric, or garbage removal)
    -Second utility hookup or bill (different than the first)
    -Telephone hookup, service agreement or bill (landline or mobile)
    -Statement from a financial institution (bank, credit union or other financial institution)
    -Second statement from a financial institution (different from the first)
    -Personal check or deposit slip issued by a financial institution (you may mark this “VOID”)
    -Credit, debit or charge card statement
    -Residential mortgage, lease or rental agreement (lease and rental agreements must include the landlord’s name and contact information)
    -Pay stub or statement from your employer
    -Your current school enrollment papers for a public or private school
    -Current school enrollment papers for a dependent child in a public or private school
    -A federal, State or local government document (such as a receipt, license, permit, assessment, professional or trade license, or other document)
    -Second federal, State or local government document (different than the first)
    -An envelope, box, postcard or magazine that includes a postmark or stamped date

    Your marriage license issued by the state or foreign government if a name change is applicable. Photocopies and faxes will not be accepted.


    All this for the very first time in order to vote thrown on low income, inner-city minorities who have direct deposit and use public transportation weeks before election day in several GOP controlled states.

    Since the Real ID required documentation is the same for a passport, I say go ahead and give every American a passport when they are issued their drivers licenses.
    Having opinions all over the map is a good sign of a person capable of autonomous thinking. Felix -2011

  5. #45
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    12,452
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Would you support THIS voter ID law described in OP?

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    The problem with accepting multiple (non mutually exclusive) IDs is that without verification one can hold several of them, possibly in different districts/states, and vote multiple times "legally", thus defeating the purpose entirely.
    Seems like a job computers easily solve.
    Anyone wondering what I'm talking about start here:
    The Psychology of Persuasion

  6. #46
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,813

    Re: Would you support THIS voter ID law described in OP?

    Quote Originally Posted by Smeagol View Post
    Yes. Honestly, every person should have some sort of ID. I think in 2012 the new "Real ID Act" caught a lot of people by surprise then only to learn it was required to vote ruffled some feathers. I have a friend who had to return to the DMV office 2 times with visits on 3 different days because each time she learned the documentation to get her drivers license renewed was not enough. REAL ID Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia


    Identity and date of birth: To document identity and date of birth, you must submit one of the following documents.
    -Valid, unexpired U.S. passport or U.S. passport card
    -Certified copy of a birth certificate issued by a state of the United States. (“State” includes the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands, Guam, American Samoa, or the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands.) It must be a certified copy and have the stamp or raised seal of the issuing authority. A hospital-issued certificate is not acceptable. A certified birth certificate issued by Puerto Rico must be certified as being issued on or after July 1, 2010.
    -Legal immigrants have a whole other list of documentation requirements.

    Plus one of the following. Photocopies and faxes of these documents will NOT be accepted.
    -Your Social Security card
    -W-2 form
    -Social Security Administration 1099 form
    -Non-Social Security Administration 1099 form
    -Pay stub with your name and Social Security number on it

    Plus proof of residency
    -voter registration card.
    -A valid vehicle registration certificate.
    -Valid insurance card or certificate of coverage (life, health, auto, homeowner’s or renter’s)
    -Second valid insurance card or certificate of coverage (different than first)
    -Utility hook up or bill (water, gas, electric, or garbage removal)
    -Second utility hookup or bill (different than the first)
    -Telephone hookup, service agreement or bill (landline or mobile)
    -Statement from a financial institution (bank, credit union or other financial institution)
    -Second statement from a financial institution (different from the first)
    -Personal check or deposit slip issued by a financial institution (you may mark this “VOID”)
    -Credit, debit or charge card statement
    -Residential mortgage, lease or rental agreement (lease and rental agreements must include the landlord’s name and contact information)
    -Pay stub or statement from your employer
    -Your current school enrollment papers for a public or private school
    -Current school enrollment papers for a dependent child in a public or private school
    -A federal, State or local government document (such as a receipt, license, permit, assessment, professional or trade license, or other document)
    -Second federal, State or local government document (different than the first)
    -An envelope, box, postcard or magazine that includes a postmark or stamped date

    Your marriage license issued by the state or foreign government if a name change is applicable. Photocopies and faxes will not be accepted.


    All this for the very first time in order to vote thrown on low income, inner-city minorities who have direct deposit and use public transportation weeks before election day in several GOP controlled states.

    Since the Real ID required documentation is the same for a passport, I say go ahead and give every American a passport when they are issued their drivers licenses.
    and this was basically my point, the argument has been made many times that so many people dont support VOter ID and that is simply not true. the vast majoirty of americans would support it if it was just about an ID.

    Where the support suffers is the things piggy backed on to the voter ID bills or the hoops that need jumped through to get the ID, not the ID itslef.

    DL# and or SS is all that should be needed, then the state checks that against residency and prior registration. In most cases this will be enough, in cases of conflicted then the system gets deeper of course.

    and also like i said this is going off of my state model where i can only vote at one polling place, no other, ID is checked and you sign.

    Something James brought up that i thought was simple and awesome is you should be notified that you voted.

    Very simple system and then we just simply tweek it from there.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  7. #47
    Guru
    Smeagol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Last Seen
    02-19-17 @ 11:35 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,147

    Re: Would you support THIS voter ID law described in OP?

    Quote Originally Posted by Perotista View Post
    That all may be, but what about South Carolina, Alabama, Mississippi, Texas? In all these states the photo ID has been challenged and taken to court, these states will not be close. Connecticut, Pennsylvania are two northern states that has also been taken to court and are reliable Democratic states, usually not close again. All total 34 out of 50 states now have photo ID laws or are in the process of getting them depending on the outcome of some court cases.

    Personally I never like this early voting. We have an election day and it is that day people are suppose to go vote. Not vote early. Who knows how Ohio would have turned out last year? Early voting started before the first presidential election debate, how many had voted early and then changed their minds only to find out it was too late. I think election day should be exactly that, election day. Oh I know early voting was instituted in the hopes that it would bring more people to the polls, but it hasn't done that.

    Back in the 60's when one only could voted on one day, election day the turn out for presidential elections was 63, 63 and 61%. The turn out over the last three presidential elections were 51,55, and 56%. Not up to standards I would say. But I am old fashioned and like the old way better. No evil intent here. Just a firm belief that election day should be just that, election day. Election day shouldn't consist of 3 weeks or a month or longer.

    I have no doubt some of the laws were to suppress voter turn out, but many more by looking at the 34 states that have or are getting them, it was more to prevent fraud than to repress. I have no problem with them. Now if a state has early voting in some area and not all, then yes, that is a problem that has to be addressed. But if there was no early voting, the problem would be solved.
    I must have been mistaken. I was only aware of the voting controversies in the swing states and I include Pennsylvania. Must have been where I recall most of the national news coverage.

    I personally love early voting. I've always hated standing in line for an eternity. I'd still vote but early voting is far more convenient.
    Having opinions all over the map is a good sign of a person capable of autonomous thinking. Felix -2011

  8. #48
    Sage
    Perotista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,941
    Blog Entries
    25

    Re: Would you support THIS voter ID law described in OP?

    Quote Originally Posted by Smeagol View Post
    I must have been mistaken. I was only aware of the voting controversies in the swing states and I include Pennsylvania. Must have been where I recall most of the national news coverage.

    I personally love early voting. I've always hated standing in line for an eternity. I'd still vote but early voting is far more convenient.
    I agree, early voting is more convenient. For me I have to go down to the county voter registration office as it is the only one open for early voting, but I do it if I am in the area. If not I will wait until election. I live in the country so long lines has never been a problem. As for the rest, the news covers what it covers and controversy sells. So one doesn't hear about all the other states.
    This Reform Party member thinks it is high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first and their political party further down the line. But for way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.

  9. #49
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    02-18-14 @ 08:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,660

    Re: Would you support THIS voter ID law described in OP?

    if there is a problem with your ID you "don't" get to vote. Why it require it, if nothing changes

  10. #50
    Sage
    polgara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,352

    Re: Would you support THIS voter ID law described in OP?

    Quote Originally Posted by Perotista View Post
    That all may be, but what about South Carolina, Alabama, Mississippi, Texas? In all these states the photo ID has been challenged and taken to court, these states will not be close. Connecticut, Pennsylvania are two northern states that has also been taken to court and are reliable Democratic states, usually not close again. All total 34 out of 50 states now have photo ID laws or are in the process of getting them depending on the outcome of some court cases.

    Personally I never like this early voting. We have an election day and it is that day people are suppose to go vote. Not vote early. Who knows how Ohio would have turned out last year? Early voting started before the first presidential election debate, how many had voted early and then changed their minds only to find out it was too late. I think election day should be exactly that, election day. Oh I know early voting was instituted in the hopes that it would bring more people to the polls, but it hasn't done that.

    Back in the 60's when one only could voted on one day, election day the turn out for presidential elections was 63, 63 and 61%. The turn out over the last three presidential elections were 51,55, and 56%. Not up to standards I would say. But I am old fashioned and like the old way better. No evil intent here. Just a firm belief that election day should be just that, election day. Election day shouldn't consist of 3 weeks or a month or longer.

    I have no doubt some of the laws were to suppress voter turn out, but many more by looking at the 34 states that have or are getting them, it was more to prevent fraud than to repress. I have no problem with them. Now if a state has early voting in some area and not all, then yes, that is a problem that has to be addressed. But if there was no early voting, the problem would be solved.
    : with everything you said. I realize that there may be good reasons for people to request an absentee ballot---business travel, planned hospital procedures, family vacations and so forth---but three weeks for early voting? C'mon, no one is that damn busy! At most, maybe one week could be allowed. We used to have one day to vote...Election Day...for year and years, and I don't recall problems with people being "disenfranchised," back then. This current trend to keep on extending the voting times is just : in my opinion! If there was no early voting, there would be no problem with fraud, as you pointed out.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •