View Poll Results: Draft?

Voters
100. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    62 62.00%
  • No

    27 27.00%
  • Maybe/Not Sure

    8 8.00%
  • War is never the answer.

    3 3.00%
Page 8 of 32 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 320

Thread: Does a Country have the right to the draft during a time of war.

  1. #71
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,550

    Re: Does a Country have the right to the draft during a time of war.

    Quote Originally Posted by cpgrad08 View Post
    This came up in another thread. Do you believe that a country was the right to draft it's citizens into it's armed forces during a time of war.

    I personally believed that it does if that country is going to survive.


    Added in:

    In regards to the United States I'm talking about an official declaration of war being declared.
    The draft would likely never happen again because of gender equality. To few military positions exist, outside of ground pounding infantry, that would benefit from a draft. Placing an equal amount of men and women in those positions is not going to happen.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  2. #72
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Does a Country have the right to the draft during a time of war.

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    If the country is under attack and I feel I can get away there is little doubt I will take it. There is nothing here worth fighting for honestly.

  3. #73
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Does a Country have the right to the draft during a time of war.

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    The draft would likely never happen again because of gender equality. To few military positions exist, outside of ground pounding infantry, that would benefit from a draft. Placing an equal amount of men and women in those positions is not going to happen.
    Agreed. Not to mention folks can't get out of it by being gay anymore.

  4. #74
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Does a Country have the right to the draft during a time of war.

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    Silly argument that doesn't meet the reality that you make the choice to stay after the age of adulthood is reached. The fact that you're still here, still have not renounced citizenship means you assent to that governance.
    Shear nonsense. Not acting to renounce my citizenship that would cost me a great deal of money in taxes doesn't mean I consent to anything. It simply means I don't wish to be taxed out of my ass. Even if that wasn't the case however not acting to relieve myself of the government doesn't mean I have issued my consent. Your argument is as silly as those fools that argue voting is issuing your consent to all laws.

  5. #75
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,851
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Does a Country have the right to the draft during a time of war.

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    If the country is under attack and I feel I can get away there is little doubt I will take it. There is nothing here worth fighting for honestly.



    No one is forced to live in the USA.

    The entrances to the exits are wide open.

  6. #76
    Pontificator
    iliveonramen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    On a Gravy Train with Biscuit Wheels
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    9,158

    Re: Does a Country have the right to the draft during a time of war.

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    No, simply living in a country doesn't mean you consent to do business with any other person or body of persons. It usually just means you were born and the rules of the governance of that land were forced on you. There is no consent given to that governance and nor did that governance ask for it. Declaring that I must move or renounce my citizenship to not be under their command only proves my point.
    Sure...as a minor I can see that being true. At a certain point you have a lifetime of reaping the benefits of US citizenship. Enforcement of laws, protection of property, protection of rights, those paid for by taxes and people risking their lives.

    It seems like you just want a one way street. All the benefits a society can provide and non of the sacrifice required to make that society work. This is coming from a person that hates the "if you don't like it here move" or "The US is always right" lines. So what happens if there was a choice...either you enter the draft or have to renounce your citizenship and leave. Would you see that as fair or not fair?
    “Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest good of everyone.” John Maynard Keynes

  7. #77
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Does a Country have the right to the draft during a time of war.

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Shear nonsense. Not acting to renounce my citizenship that would cost me a great deal of money in taxes doesn't mean I consent to anything. It simply means I don't wish to be taxed out of my ass. Even if that wasn't the case however not acting to relieve myself of the government doesn't mean I have issued my consent. Your argument is as silly as those fools that argue voting is issuing your consent.
    Fell asleep during those civics classes I see.

    Believe what you will, however your belief fails when confronted with reality.

  8. #78
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Does a Country have the right to the draft during a time of war.

    Quote Originally Posted by shrubnose View Post
    No one is forced to live in the USA.

    The entrances to the exits are wide open.
    I resent this land being called the USA as it does not represent anything it stood for and anything I find of value.

  9. #79
    American
    cpgrad08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Lakewood,WA
    Last Seen
    10-18-17 @ 07:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    5,388
    Blog Entries
    10

    Re: Does a Country have the right to the draft during a time of war.

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    The draft would likely never happen again because of gender equality. To few military positions exist, outside of ground pounding infantry, that would benefit from a draft. Placing an equal amount of men and women in those positions is not going to happen.
    I believe if that if are equal to men then they should be required to sign up for selective services as well.

  10. #80
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Does a Country have the right to the draft during a time of war.

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    Fell asleep during those civics classes I see.

    Believe what you will, however your belief fails when confronted with reality.
    You speak of something based on falsehoods and lies. I speak of the truth and how things actually are outside of the brainwashing that you have endured. If you want to know the truth those men that signed the Constitution are about the only men that ever offered their consent to it.

Page 8 of 32 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •