View Poll Results: Draft?

Voters
100. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    62 62.00%
  • No

    27 27.00%
  • Maybe/Not Sure

    8 8.00%
  • War is never the answer.

    3 3.00%
Page 11 of 32 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 320

Thread: Does a Country have the right to the draft during a time of war.

  1. #101
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Does a Country have the right to the draft during a time of war.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jredbaron96 View Post
    No one's stopping you from leaving.
    No one is stopping you from respecting the consent of people either.

  2. #102
    Finite and Precious
    Jredbaron96's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    With you.
    Last Seen
    01-16-18 @ 11:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,108
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Does a Country have the right to the draft during a time of war.

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    No one is stopping you from respecting the consent of people either.
    Good thing I do, then.
    "Human kindness has never weakened the stamina or softened the fiber of a free people. A nation does not have to be cruel to be tough."
    -FDR

  3. #103
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Does a Country have the right to the draft during a time of war.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jredbaron96 View Post
    Good thing I do, then.
    Is that why you support the draft? You know, the very thing we are talking about that ignores the consent of the people to serve.

  4. #104
    Guru
    Morality Games's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Iowa
    Last Seen
    05-24-16 @ 10:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,733

    Re: Does a Country have the right to the draft during a time of war.

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    So all I must do to violate the natural rights of people and be righteous in my cause is form an organization called the government. To many of you if I were to do this I can draft people to my cause even if that might mean their death, ignore their lack of consent and take from them whatever I desire and declare I need it to provide them services that they never asked to receive.
    The institutions of culture and systems of economic production we depend on to enjoy our quality of life cannot exist under the perpetual threat or reality of armed force. Every person who partakes of them has a responsibility to themselves, their family, their neighbors, their ancestors, and their descendants to defend the body politic and its possessions, both what is private and what is held in common.

    A nation isn't a confederacy or a free association where people can scatter to the four winds at the first sign of trouble, it comes with as many obligations as it does with commodities.

    Just allowing our citizens not to fight in a war encourages aggressive action against our country.

    Your fore-bearers lived and died settling and defending this country so that their descendants could enjoy a quality of life never before imagined or realized in the history of our race, so you can bet that you have a perpetual responsibility to be equal to their sacrifice if the occasion demands it.
    Last edited by Morality Games; 12-03-13 at 02:46 PM.
    If you notice something good in yourself, give credit to God, not to yourself, but be certain the evil you commit is always your own and yours to acknowledge.

    St. Benedict

  5. #105
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Does a Country have the right to the draft during a time of war.

    Quote Originally Posted by Morality Games View Post
    The institutions of culture and systems of economic production we depend on to enjoy our quality of life cannot exist under the perpetual threat or reality of armed force. Every person who partakes of them has a responsibility to themselves, their family, their neighbors, their ancestors, and their descendants to defend the body politic and its possessions, both what is private and what is held in common.

    A nation isn't a confederacy or a free association where people can scatter to the four winds at the first sign of trouble, it comes with as many obligations as it does with commodities.

    Just allowing our citizens not to fight in a war encourages aggressive action against our country.

    Your fore-bearers lived and died settling and defending this country so that their descendants could enjoy a quality of life never before imagined or realized in the history of our race, so you can bet that you have a perpetual responsibility to be equal to their sacrifice if the occasion demands it.
    I have no obligation towards those that came before me and decided to fight for causes they found agreeable nor do I have an obligation towards the country as a whole that i never offered my consent to be part of. Just as the founders of this country swore no alliance to the king of england, I swore no alliance to the rulers of this land. Just as the founders had no obligation to fight for the causes of those that came before them, I have no obligation to fight for the causes of those that came before me. Just as those that came before me had the right to decide on their own free will what causes they were wiling to fight for, I have the right to decide on causes I am willing to fight for. Just because I was born under the rule of a body of people that wish to maintain their rule does not mean I'm obligated to assist them in their cause and grant them their desires. Just because I was born in a community of men, women and children in a certain land does not mean that I'm obligated to protect them or their property and die for their causes.

  6. #106
    Guru
    Morality Games's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Iowa
    Last Seen
    05-24-16 @ 10:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,733

    Re: Does a Country have the right to the draft during a time of war.

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    I have no obligation towards those that came before me and decided to fight for causes they found agreeable nor do I have an obligation towards the country as a whole that i never offered my consent to be part of. Just as the founders of this country swore no alliance to the king of england, I swore no alliance to the rulers of this land. Just as the founders had no obligation to fight for the causes of those that came before them, I have no obligation to fight for the causes of those that came before me. Just as those that came before me had the right to decide on their own free will what causes they were wiling to fight for, I have the right to decide on causes I am willing to fight for. Just because I was born under the rule of a body of people that wish to maintain their rule does not mean I'm obligated to assist them in their cause and grant them their desires. Just because I was born in a community of men, women and children in a certain land does not mean that I'm obligated to protect them or their property and die for their causes.
    Then there is no reason for those who do to allow you to live among them, at least not as a citizen. Since you can't be trusted to contribute in hard times, your rights, happiness, and safety are a tertiary concern to the body politic. Attention and resources must be reserved to those who are prepared to earn standing.

    nor do I have an obligation towards the country as a whole that i never offered my consent to be part of.
    The semantics of 'consent' and social contracts are unmeaningful. Participation in our economy and culture entails participation in the community's defense. While exemptions can and should be made for those unable to contribute, able people who refuse to serve as contributors must serve as examples.
    Last edited by Morality Games; 12-03-13 at 03:37 PM.
    If you notice something good in yourself, give credit to God, not to yourself, but be certain the evil you commit is always your own and yours to acknowledge.

    St. Benedict

  7. #107
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    181,716

    Re: Does a Country have the right to the draft during a time of war.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ad_Captandum View Post
    Hell, I think some mandatory form of military/public/government service for a year would be great for the UK, and probably every other nation.
    those of us who work half the year to pay taxes have already done far more than that



  8. #108
    Finite and Precious
    Jredbaron96's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    With you.
    Last Seen
    01-16-18 @ 11:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,108
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Does a Country have the right to the draft during a time of war.

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Is that why you support the draft? You know, the very thing we are talking about that ignores the consent of the people to serve.
    Being a US citizen comes with duties. You have to serve on a jury if called upon, don't you?
    "Human kindness has never weakened the stamina or softened the fiber of a free people. A nation does not have to be cruel to be tough."
    -FDR

  9. #109
    Sage
    mak2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Indiana
    Last Seen
    07-08-16 @ 01:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,050

    Re: Does a Country have the right to the draft during a time of war.

    I am thinking about this, I am not sure. You contend your working and paying taxes is far more of a contribution than doing your time in the service?
    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    those of us who work half the year to pay taxes have already done far more than that
    God Bless the Marine Corps.

  10. #110
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Does a Country have the right to the draft during a time of war.

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    No one is stopping you from respecting the consent of people either.
    Actually there is, it's called the law. Selective Service is law.

Page 11 of 32 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •