View Poll Results: Have you been fired from a job in the last 10 years?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, between November 30, 2003-September 30, 2008

    3 6.67%
  • Yes, between October 1, 2008-September 30, 2013

    4 8.89%
  • Yes, between October 1, 2013-Today

    0 0%
  • No or I was fired more than 10 years ago

    38 84.44%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 31 to 39 of 39

Thread: Have you been fired from a job in the last 10 years?

  1. #31
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    (none)
    Last Seen
    04-04-15 @ 09:11 PM
    Lean
    Communist
    Posts
    6,112
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Have you been fired from a job in the last 10 years?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    Nope. Only time I was ever fired was from a company that was desperately trying to downsize so they were going around trumping up causes to terminate their highest paid employees so they didn't have to pay unemployment. I took it to the unemployment "court" and won and they had to pay me a lump sum. It didn't matter to me, I had a much better job after that anyhow.
    That's exactly right.

  2. #32
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
    Last Seen
    09-14-14 @ 02:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,700

    Re: Have you been fired from a job in the last 10 years?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    BTDT.

    A couple of times, frankly it was a real pleasure to see the last of someone who'd been a worthless pain-in-my-ass for too long.

    And some other times, it was terribly painful. There was this one young woman, single mother... bless her heart she meant well and she tried, but she just didn't have what it took to do the job. I let her ride and gave her more chances as much as I could, until finally MY boss told me I HAD to fire her. It was very unpleasant and upsetting; she cried, and I almost did too. I hated having to do that.

    But I dunno about worse... in the end, I still had my job, even if I felt like a great big dirty heel. She didn't.
    I think when you are the actual employer it's worse because you feel responsible. I too have fired culls that had it coming and was happy to do so but a couple of guys were trying their hardest but they just couldn't do the work. I hated letting them go.

  3. #33
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:46 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,407

    Re: Have you been fired from a job in the last 10 years?

    Quote Originally Posted by vasuderatorrent View Post
    Some people say to-ma-to. Some people say to-mat-o. Laid off is a nice way of saying fired.

    What I meant was being involuntarily seperated from a job due to the employer's decision rather than you're own. It seems that I didn't make that clear.

    In most states I'm sure it's hard to tell the difference. Sometimes the unemployment system penalizes employers for "laying people off" or firing employees without cause. This gives companies the incentive to creatively fire employees with cause in order to efficiciently administrate a RIF.

    Sometimes a company needs to get rid of 5 employees. They dig around to create 5 dirtbags rather than laying off 5 people at random. Does anybody believe this has ever happened since the beginning of unemployment benefits?
    It has become that way, no doubt. I know many people that will use "laid off" as a euphemism when they were really fired.

    Now, this is how *I* differentiate the two, and it goes back to how I recall most people differentiating the two when I was a kid back in the 1970s...

    "Fired" is when you screw up and are terminated for cause. Or, for vindictive reasons such as a personality difference.

    "Laid off" is when you didn't do anything wrong at all, but for whatever reason your employer just cannot afford to employ you any more. May be due to a drop in income for the company, or whatever, but nothing of your doing specifically.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  4. #34
    Hot Flash Mama
    Summerwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Last Seen
    01-23-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,010

    Re: Have you been fired from a job in the last 10 years?

    Yes, and no. I'm not sure how this actually works, if I was fired or if I quit. I think I've mentioned that trying to return to accounting after 2005 when google earth put me out of business, I found that the ethics in business had gone to hell. Previously, back in the early 70s to late 80s my job was to squeeze as much as I could out of the numbers, LEGALLY. When I returned in 2005-2008, my job was apparently to put altogether known false numbers into the reports so that it was truly fraud, not toeing some legal line. Over and over across five places, and of course we had the whole Enron debacle going on during that time, and what's-his-face was blaming his accountants, who were in fact the ones required to sign the docs that went in.... So of those five I quit four, but the first I gave an ultimatum. I told him he had to make absolutely sure that if he was going to continue to do cash jobs on the side, with the crew, with the homeowners therefore not under his business insurance umbrella but on their own homeowners' insurance due to the fact that he was not acting as a business at that time.... anyway, he had to assure that I had nothing to do with any of it, not invoicing, not recording any of the workers' times, etc. Otherwise I couldn't in good conscience sign any forms, and he'd have to sign them. Note I didn't demand he quit doing it, though I did try mildly to suggest it. Anyway, it was either keep me entirely in the dark so I could honestly say I had no idea. Well I went ahead and signed and sent in that first quarter of bogus data... Did he keep me in the dark? NO! So next quarter I refused to sign the docs and left them for him to sign, and he fired me. Now, I was already looking for another job because he had failed with my ultimatum, and would've quit asap, but legitimately, I had not yet quit.
    jallman: "It's all good. At least you have a thick skin and can take being poked fun back at without crying. "

  5. #35
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,104

    Re: Have you been fired from a job in the last 10 years?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    I don't think that counts as firing.
    Ah. Well. "Laid Off", if you will, I guess.

  6. #36
    Guru
    Smeagol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Last Seen
    02-19-17 @ 11:35 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,147

    Re: Have you been fired from a job in the last 10 years?

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640;1062606844[B
    ]On your part or hers[/B]? When late arrival is accepted it tends to spread. Perhaps you should tell her to leave early, to make up for coming in late.
    Both

    Part of her deal was the way she was raised. Her parents owned their own business and had faithful dedicated staff. Because of this THEY didn't have to live by a regimented schedule; just call and make sure things were covered and go in when they felt like it. Part of it is her own carefree personality. She's really good at what she does when she's there but... Her personality type actually helps her at what she does; artsy fartsy creativity stuff.

    Perhaps you should tell her to leave early, to make up for coming in late.
    Done that. Its now costing her, a single mom, $150 a month because her kid now has to go to extended day care after school because she can no longer leave 15 minutes earlier.
    Having opinions all over the map is a good sign of a person capable of autonomous thinking. Felix -2011

  7. #37
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: Have you been fired from a job in the last 10 years?

    Fired once at a pizza joint cuz i couldnt "flip/through" dough evenly. Pretty much i couldnt make a perfect circle with dough and cook a pizza evenly. AKA: I CANT COOK WORTH ****


  8. #38
    Maquis Admiral
    maquiscat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,955

    Re: Have you been fired from a job in the last 10 years?

    I've never been fired, let go, downsized or otherwise separated from a job except by my own decision

  9. #39
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    02-18-14 @ 08:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,660

    Re: Have you been fired from a job in the last 10 years?

    no, never been fired, was laid off 30 years ago while in college, had another job two days later

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •