View Poll Results: What is you default motive is expressing your views?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • Venting; getting it off my chest.

    4 7.69%
  • Bashing those with oppositing points of view.

    5 9.62%
  • Pep-rallying those on my ideolgical team.

    1 1.92%
  • Reaching silent observers who are not pursuaded either way.

    8 15.38%
  • Winning over the hearts and minds of those with opposing views.

    5 9.62%
  • No real objective other than shpening my communications skills.

    12 23.08%
  • Other

    17 32.69%
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 98

Thread: Your subconscious motive in expressing your views.

  1. #41
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Your subconscious motive in expressing your views.

    Quote Originally Posted by polgara View Post
    Yeah, there are a few like that on here. They apparently can't believe that anyone would disagree with their view, even when it's been proven wrong, but just can't seem to let it go. Is it self importance, or do they just enjoy arguing?

    Greetings, Gipper. Hope you had an enjoyable Thanksgiving.
    I think some people are just easily influenced by emotion - which is why it's hard to debate liberals. Emotion over evidence.

    And mine was good. Hope yours was too.

  2. #42
    Sage
    polgara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,343

    Re: Your subconscious motive in expressing your views.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    I think some people are just easily influenced by emotion - which is why it's hard to debate liberals. Emotion over evidence.

    And mine was good. Hope yours was too.
    Mine was very good, too.

    BTW, since I don't need ulcers, I don't debate liberals as a rule. They'll say one thing, and two pages later say the opposite, and argue both sides equally, like we don't notice. :

  3. #43
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:46 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,407

    Re: Your subconscious motive in expressing your views.

    Quote Originally Posted by Smeagol View Post
    Not this board but others.

    - Drilling for oil domestically will not help defeat Middle Eastern based terrorism. Rather its the best thing we could do to insure a lucrative market for terrorists and dictators for decades by being vested ourselves in their only viable income stream.

    - America is not completely innocent with respect to the root causes of Anti-Americanism in the Middle East.

    - Gays are not evil monsters. That said, many will try to define others as such if you do not support normalizing homosexuality in the culture.

    - This particular forum is highly unique in this respect but despite claims to the contrary, discussion boards are online think like us clubs. I've seen intolerance, double standards and special censorship applied toward people not in step with the prevailing ideology on most boards.
    This board is pretty good compared to others. Yes, there are some morons who blindly spout the extreme of their chosen side of the political aisle, but the fact that both sides are here, and each thrive, says a lot (in a good way).
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  4. #44
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: Your subconscious motive in expressing your views.

    I don't have a subconscious motive that I know of. I just like to toss ideas around, and get feedback from others, and I enjoy discussing various topics and issues. I don't care if anyone else agrees with me, as I feel secure with my own views.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  5. #45
    Guru
    Smeagol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Last Seen
    02-19-17 @ 11:35 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,147

    Re: Your subconscious motive in expressing your views.

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    This board is pretty good compared to others. Yes, there are some morons who blindly spout the extreme of their chosen side of the political aisle, but the fact that both sides are here, and each thrive, says a lot (in a good way).
    And that's fine. I get concerned when moderators start engaging in selective enforcement action against people because of positions they don't like evidenced by refusing to enforce the same supposed rules against people who's views are line with theirs and/or when moderators engage in trolling against those with opposing views. People like to embrace the ideal of free speech all day but I've found a lot of people only want THEIR own views promoted and opposing views suppressed.
    Having opinions all over the map is a good sign of a person capable of autonomous thinking. Felix -2011

  6. #46
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:46 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,407

    Re: Your subconscious motive in expressing your views.

    Quote Originally Posted by Smeagol View Post
    And that's fine. I get concerned when moderators start engaging in selective enforcement action against people because of positions they don't like evidenced by refusing to enforce the same supposed rules against people who's views are line with theirs and/or when moderators engage in trolling against those with opposing views. People like to embrace the ideal of free speech all day but I've found a lot of people only want THEIR own views promoted and opposing views suppressed.
    Got'cha. Yeah, I was speaking more in an overall aspect.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  7. #47
    Guru
    Smeagol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Last Seen
    02-19-17 @ 11:35 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,147

    Re: Your subconscious motive in expressing your views.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    I think some people are just easily influenced by emotion - which is why it's hard to debate liberals. Emotion over evidence.

    And mine was good. Hope yours was too.
    It's not exclusive to liberals. I know conservatives who practically had emotional breakdowns when "Hussein Obama" became potus. They fell for all the right-wing hype. Associated with terrorism because of Ayres and his middle name. Hates white people because of his crazy pastor. Btw, half the people going to church have a crazy pastor or priest and some belong in jail, which says nothing on the character of their parishioners. The only people who don't realize this are people who don't go to church and assume church membership is about being a groupie of the pastor when nothing coud be further from the truth. I had a crazy pastor for years addicted to prescription drugs and on two occasions I can remember made mild racist statements against blacks from the pulpit. He's a Marxist, a communist, a socialist and a Muslim all rolled into one. Some where even saying he was a closet homosexual as well. I was at lunch with a group a friends one day close to Election Day and the topic of Obama about to be elected came up. One of the guys litterally lost his mind, became enraged and was about to storm out of the restaraunt. I was honestly thinking he was going to start slinging plates if somebody didnt change the subject quick.
    Having opinions all over the map is a good sign of a person capable of autonomous thinking. Felix -2011

  8. #48
    Advisor Amanda1858's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    08-20-15 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    592

    Re: Your subconscious motive in expressing your views.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    Venting. I'm not here to change anyone's mind, nor to fight with anyone. My mind will most definitely not be changed on anything. Largely I'm here to vent the emotions before I do it with gasoline, fertilizer, and a U-Haul Truck.
    Then I'm sure glad this forum exists for you
    "The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice"---Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

  9. #49
    Advisor Amanda1858's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    08-20-15 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    592

    Re: Your subconscious motive in expressing your views.

    Quote Originally Posted by Smeagol View Post
    I have a friend who asked me to read a chapter in a book he's authoring. He's self publishing at his own expense and he has a history of dumping his hard earned money into his soapbox issues. What I don't get is who is he trying to reach with his book and what impact is he trying to make. I'll add, it seems the only reason he asked me to read a chapter in he book was due to some comments I made to him on politics and that seemingly offended him and that chapter gave his views on the subject. Upon reading it, I'm just shaking me head and I'm not even finished yet. It's filled with polarizing positions, offensive statements and unsubstantiated generalizations one of which is not even close to being true presented as facts.

    I initially thought he was asking for my feedback but after thinking about it, he never asked for it, was motivated by not liking what I had to say on politics in race and only started to act interested in hearing what I had to say AFTER I offered feedback based on an assumption that he wanted to hear what I had to say. He's a good guy and means no offence. I wasn't offended at all but I know others will be if he publishes what he showed me. His problem is he's passionately driven by his political/social ideology, is letting the those with no clue define large demographic groups leaving him with jack squat understanding while making very emphatic statements based on very limited understanding.

    One thing I've learned and still get caught off guard having lapses in judgment in by my participation on discussion boards is how easy it is to unintentionally offend people. Once you've offended someone, it is highly unlikely you'll be able to win them over to seeing things your way. But do most people even care about winning hearts? Are people really just interested in venting? Do people get a sense of internal affirmation by parroting the positions of their ideological team while reaching no one outside of their group? Do people get a charge out of slamming those they consider the opposition whether members the opposition his in the audience or not?

    I'm not asking what makes the most sense now that I'm ranted a bit but what has been you default motive in expressing your views?
    I come here to put my finger on the pulse of America
    "The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice"---Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

  10. #50
    Advisor Amanda1858's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    08-20-15 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    592

    Re: Your subconscious motive in expressing your views.

    Quote Originally Posted by Smeagol View Post
    It's not exclusive to liberals. I know conservatives who practically had emotional breakdowns when "Hussein Obama" became potus. They fell for all the right-wing hype. Associated with terrorism because of Ayres and his middle name. Hates white people because of his crazy pastor. Btw, half the people going to church have a crazy pastor or priest and some belong in jail, which says nothing on the character of their parishioners. The only people who don't realize this are people who don't go to church and assume church membership is about being a groupie of the pastor when nothing coud be further from the truth. I had a crazy pastor for years addicted to prescription drugs and on two occasions I can remember made mild racist statements against blacks from the pulpit. He's a Marxist, a communist, a socialist and a Muslim all rolled into one. Some where even saying he was a closet homosexual as well. I was at lunch with a group a friends one day close to Election Day and the topic of Obama about to be elected came up. One of the guys litterally lost his mind, became enraged and was about to storm out of the restaraunt. I was honestly thinking he was going to start slinging plates if somebody didnt change the subject quick.
    How is this guy doing now? Better I hope.
    "The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice"---Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •