View Poll Results: Would You Surrender Your Firearms To Police Voluntarily During A Natural Disaster?

Voters
106. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    3 2.83%
  • Depends

    11 10.38%
  • No

    92 86.79%
Page 21 of 24 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 210 of 238

Thread: Would You Surrender Your Firearms To Police Voluntarily During A Natural Disaster?

  1. #201
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,596

    Re: Would You Surrender Your Firearms To Police Voluntarily During A Natural Disaster

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    Pick a position already. Canada's gun laws prevent violence, US gun laws DONT prevent violence. It's all the same thing. It's not at ALL the same thing.

    Bottom line...whatever argument is convenient, right?
    OK, fair enough.
    My position on gun control is this:
    Trying to reduce crime by reducing the numbers of firearms doesn't work. On t he other hand, the assertion that we need more guns in the hands of the "good guys" in order to discourage the bad guys doesn't really work either.

    Therefore, there must be other factors besides gun control that influence murder rates.

    Now, our neighbor to the north has a significantly lower murder rate than we do here in the USA. This is not likely due to any restrictive gun laws. The culture of the two countries is at least similar. Therefore, there must be another factor at work.
    Could be poverty.
    could be the war on drugs.
    could be gang activity.
    Could be something else, or all of the above.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  2. #202
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,722

    Re: Would You Surrender Your Firearms To Police Voluntarily During A Natural Disaster

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    OK, fair enough.
    My position on gun control is this:
    Trying to reduce crime by reducing the numbers of firearms doesn't work. On t he other hand, the assertion that we need more guns in the hands of the "good guys" in order to discourage the bad guys doesn't really work either.

    Therefore, there must be other factors besides gun control that influence murder rates.

    Now, our neighbor to the north has a significantly lower murder rate than we do here in the USA. This is not likely due to any restrictive gun laws. The culture of the two countries is at least similar. Therefore, there must be another factor at work.
    Could be poverty.
    could be the war on drugs.
    could be gang activity.
    Could be something else, or all of the above.
    As you have very often now pointed out..demographics matter. Thats why it is silly for anyone to suggest "why...sure gun control could work. Just look at Japan." The US isnt a relatively small island and we cant manage and maintain border security to stop the flow of 20-30 million PEOPLE, let alone the smuggling of drugs, guns, etc. And true enough...all of those other factors come into play. My own community has probably more guns per capita than any gang infested inner city in any state in the country. We also have a virtual zero crime rate and are fairly affluent. SO...maybe THATS where the emphasis should be, rather than the continued blathering about the seizure of guns. People that use guns in the commission of a crime have already very clearly demonstrated their intent to refuse to comply with laws. Therefore...a continued effort at increasing laws against guns will target the one population group in this country that CLEARLY has demonstrated they are not a threat to community or society.

  3. #203
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,596

    Re: Would You Surrender Your Firearms To Police Voluntarily During A Natural Disaster

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    As you have very often now pointed out..demographics matter. Thats why it is silly for anyone to suggest "why...sure gun control could work. Just look at Japan." The US isnt a relatively small island and we cant manage and maintain border security to stop the flow of 20-30 million PEOPLE, let alone the smuggling of drugs, guns, etc. And true enough...all of those other factors come into play. My own community has probably more guns per capita than any gang infested inner city in any state in the country. We also have a virtual zero crime rate and are fairly affluent. SO...maybe THATS where the emphasis should be, rather than the continued blathering about the seizure of guns. People that use guns in the commission of a crime have already very clearly demonstrated their intent to refuse to comply with laws. Therefore...a continued effort at increasing laws against guns will target the one population group in this country that CLEARLY has demonstrated they are not a threat to community or society.
    Exactly. the law abiding citizen who has guns is not a problem, and criminals don't care what the laws are. So let's look at other factors:

    I posit that the war on drugs is a major factor. Much of the violence is due to gangs fighting over "turf", by which they mean territory in which to sell drugs. Violence on the US/Mexico border has escalated dramatically since drug smuggling has become so prominent.
    We saw this same sort of thing during prohibition, with gangs shooting it out in the streets with "tommy guns."
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  4. #204
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,722

    Re: Would You Surrender Your Firearms To Police Voluntarily During A Natural Disaster

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    Exactly. the law abiding citizen who has guns is not a problem, and criminals don't care what the laws are. So let's look at other factors:

    I posit that the war on drugs is a major factor. Much of the violence is due to gangs fighting over "turf", by which they mean territory in which to sell drugs. Violence on the US/Mexico border has escalated dramatically since drug smuggling has become so prominent.
    We saw this same sort of thing during prohibition, with gangs shooting it out in the streets with "tommy guns."
    I agree that the war on drugs is a dismal failure and should be completely re-thought. I dont however believe that is the answer to our violent crime problem. I would suggest that if we are to see REAL positive growth and change we have to do a combination of things pretty much simultaneously. We have to reinvigorate our industrial base and create meaningful and vital middle income jobs, increase school standards, have a huge community wide push for personal responsibility, build LOTS of new prisons, and make draconian prison sentences for anyone committing a violent crime. That requires the bleeding hearts to stop wringing their hands about the percentages of whoever is in prison. If they commit a violent criminal act they should go away for a loooooooong long time. We need a societal commitment to positive changes, not the continued mindless charade of 'care' that has created much of the mess we currently have. EARNED economic prosperity is the answer.

  5. #205
    White trash on dope.
    d0gbreath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Denton, TX
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,878

    Re: Would You Surrender Your Firearms To Police Voluntarily During A Natural Disaster

    No.

    That's my final answer.

  6. #206
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,596

    Re: Would You Surrender Your Firearms To Police Voluntarily During A Natural Disaster

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    I agree that the war on drugs is a dismal failure and should be completely re-thought. I dont however believe that is the answer to our violent crime problem. I would suggest that if we are to see REAL positive growth and change we have to do a combination of things pretty much simultaneously. We have to reinvigorate our industrial base and create meaningful and vital middle income jobs, increase school standards, have a huge community wide push for personal responsibility, build LOTS of new prisons, and make draconian prison sentences for anyone committing a violent crime. That requires the bleeding hearts to stop wringing their hands about the percentages of whoever is in prison. If they commit a violent criminal act they should go away for a loooooooong long time. We need a societal commitment to positive changes, not the continued mindless charade of 'care' that has created much of the mess we currently have. EARNED economic prosperity is the answer.
    OK, earned economic prosperity could be one of the answers. As for the other factors:

    reinvigorate our industrial base and create meaningful and vital middle income jobs" would no doubt help bring about earned economic prosperity.

    "increase school standards" We did that, first with the state standards, now moving to common core standards. did that affect the murder rate?

    "build LOTS of new prisons, and make draconian prison sentences for anyone committing a violent crime".
    but we have more prisoners now than any other nation on Earth. With about 5% of the world's population, we have around 25% of the prisoners. Simply locking people up doesn't seem to work. Maybe the people we have locked up aren't the ones we need to have locked up, or maybe there needs to be an alternative.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  7. #207
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,722

    Re: Would You Surrender Your Firearms To Police Voluntarily During A Natural Disaster

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    OK, earned economic prosperity could be one of the answers. As for the other factors:

    reinvigorate our industrial base and create meaningful and vital middle income jobs" would no doubt help bring about earned economic prosperity.

    "increase school standards" We did that, first with the state standards, now moving to common core standards. did that affect the murder rate?

    "build LOTS of new prisons, and make draconian prison sentences for anyone committing a violent crime".
    but we have more prisoners now than any other nation on Earth. With about 5% of the world's population, we have around 25% of the prisoners. Simply locking people up doesn't seem to work. Maybe the people we have locked up aren't the ones we need to have locked up, or maybe there needs to be an alternative.
    We havent done ANY of it at the same time. Complex problems require complex solutions. Thats part of our problem with the whole immigration thing. We arent really trying to FIX anything...just running around sticking fingers in dykes.

    And I completely disagree with you about the prison thing. Whole I think we both would agree drug laws should be revamped and prison probably isnt the appropriate place for drug users, the fact remains (and is evidenced daily) that not only do we NOT have enough prisons, but we havent put enough people there. I dont give a **** about the numbers and am frankly a little curious as to why YOU do. It doesnt matter if there are 5 or 50 prisons in every state...the number of prisons does not CREATE violent criminals and there should be enough to HOUSE violent criminals and hellz YES...if those violent offenders were locked away for say...30 years on top of every sentence as a mandatory minimum for the use of a weapon in the commission of a violent crime, we would ABSOLUTELY see less violent crime in this country.

  8. #208
    Advisor plutonium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 04:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    546

    Re: Would You Surrender Your Firearms To Police Voluntarily During A Natural Disaster

    Would You Surrender Your Firearms To Police Voluntarily During A Natural Disaster?-sav-sniper-jpgi would try my best to secure them myself i am sure for some reason the police would misplace or use my guns for themseves mainly my colt ca ar15 and maybe my savage 308 fluted sniper ....probably never get them back
    Last edited by plutonium; 12-02-13 at 02:02 PM.

  9. #209
    Advisor plutonium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 04:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    546

    Re: Would You Surrender Your Firearms To Police Voluntarily During A Natural Disaster

    sounds like a nice place for zimmerman he can get rid of some of his anger there...and a hell of a lot of blacks to pick on lol

  10. #210
    Don't Give a Rat's Ass
    SMTA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    OH
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    21,895

    Re: Would You Surrender Your Firearms To Police Voluntarily During A Natural Disaster

    Quote Originally Posted by plutonium View Post
    Would You Surrender Your Firearms To Police Voluntarily During A Natural Disaster?-sav-sniper-jpgi would try my best to secure them myself i am sure for some reason the police would misplace or use my guns for themseves mainly my colt ca ar15 and maybe my savage 308 fluted sniper ....probably never get them back
    Posting pictures on the internet will not help that security.
    Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher
    Baby sister, I was born game and I intend to go out that way - Rooster Cogburn

Page 21 of 24 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •